Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Using CFL bulbs with ceiling fans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted March 06 2012 - 11:01 AM

Do these work well in ceiling fans? Is the vibration a problem? Thanks

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts
  • LocationAnaheim. CA

Posted March 07 2012 - 01:40 AM

I don't know, but I wouldn't. The vibration wears out the filament on incandescents much more quickly than stationary lamps, but the bulbs are so cheap, who cares? CFLs are, IMO, too costly for this application. But, as I said, that's just my opinion, not actual concrete knowledge.
I have learned that some pain cannot be healed, but must be endured. I believe our Higher Power will help us to endure and find peace. I loved the boy with the utmost love of which my soul is capable and he is taken from me-yet in the agony of my spirit in surrendering such a treasure, I feel a thousand times richer than if I had never possessed it."
-- William Wordsworth 1812

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,952 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 07 2012 - 06:05 AM

I'll check the fans in my house tonight to be certain, but I'm pretty sure we went all CFL not too long ago (including the fans) and haven't had any problems with the bulbs.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   John Gido

John Gido

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 07:30 AM

I've had CFLs in the ceiling fan in my bedroom for years. The fan runs all night, every night while we are sleeping and the bulbs seem to always work when we turn on the light.
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
-Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."-UnknownMy DVD Collection

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted March 07 2012 - 07:44 AM

The only issues would be how exposed the bulbs are (a bare CFL can be quite glaring) and if you intend to use a dimmer. Most CFL's still cannot be used with a dimmer, and those that can are incredibly expensive.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 12:49 PM

Thanks. We don't use dimmers on the ceiling fans anyway. John and Jason, do you ever use your fans on high? If so, that hasn't been a problem? CFL bulbs don't have a filament(to get damaged by vibration) like incandescent bulbs, do they?

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,952 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 08 2012 - 01:04 AM

Hmm, well, I was mistaken.  Two of our three ceiling fans have "exposed" bulbs - the decorative shaped ones - so we don't use CFLs there.  The last fan does have a dome over the lights, but we must have missed those when we swapped bulbs.

Sorry about that.

You are correct, though, that CFL bulbs have no filament - the tubes are filled with gases that when "excited" by an electric current produce UV light which, in turn, stimulates a fluorescent coating (phosphor) on the inside of the spiral tube which is what produces the visible light (thank, you "science.howstuffworks.com"!).

It took a little while to get used to the CFL bulbs.  They're a lot better than they used to be, but there is still a period of "warmup" where the lights aren't quite at the level they will be after they're on for several seconds.

We changed just about every bulb we could almost a year ago and have not had to replace a single CFL yet.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   John Gido

John Gido

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 02:36 AM

Yes, Jim, the fan does run on high. And, like Jason says, they do take some getting use to. Especially the "warming up" period, which is a little longer in colder weather.
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
-Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."-UnknownMy DVD Collection

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 05:57 AM

I know about the slight warmup time. We use CFL's now, just not in ceiling fans.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 01:15 AM

Our electric utility company recently shipped me about 15 CFL bulbs in a variety of sizes and wattages. They say they're free, but I'm quite sure they'll sneak it into my bill somehow. They're actually doing it throughout the city, I just happened to be in the right neighborhood and got the first batch. Easily would have run over $100 in a store. Anyhow, these are much better than any CFL I've owned before. No warm up period, just instant-on. Also create a very comfortable atmosphere. Rather than the harsh bluish-white of earlier bulbs, these are actually a nice pinkish-orange color, very comfortable on the eyes. Technology seems to improve and the consumer has a lot to say about it. Sorry, but I haven't tried them in my ceiling fan. Don't use the lights very often just the fan. In fact I have the same bulbs, kind of fancy chandelier bulbs that I first put in when I bought the house, and that's over 15 years now. They way it's designed I can't imagine CFLs in it, they aren't very attractive, at least not yet. I love CFLs. I've got a couple places where I leave them on constantly and they literally can go 2-3 years before they burn out.
Stan