-

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Hondo (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 06:51 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

LEGENDARY ACTOR JOHN WAYNE’S COMPELLING WESTERN CLASSIC DEBUTS ON BLU-RAY™

HONDO

Dramatic Tale of the American Frontier Arrives June 5, 2012 Loaded with Making Of Featurettes, Expert Commentary, a Photo Gallery and More 

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. —American icon John Wayne stars in the powerful and exciting Western classic HONDO, debuting on Blu-ray June 5, 2012 from Paramount Home Media Distribution.  Renowned actress Geraldine Page made her feature film debut as the strong-willed Angie Lowe, an isolated female rancher caught between warring Native American tribes.  When Cavalry rider Hondo Lane (Wayne) comes upon Angie and her son, he becomes their designated protector and finds himself embroiled in Angie’s personal drama, as well as the growing danger from the nearby Apache.  Meanwhile, Angie grows more and more captivated by Hondo—a man hardened by experience but still capable of sympathy, kindness and love.  Boasting superb acting (including an Academy Award®-nominated performance* by Page), spectacular scenery and a powerfully compelling story, HONDO is an unforgettable cinematic experience.

The HONDO Blu-ray includes an introduction by celebrated film critic Leonard Maltin, a multiple-part Making Of featurette, commentary by Maltin, Western historian Frank Thompson and actor Lee Aaker, a look at the Apache, a photo gallery and more.

Blu-ray

The HONDO Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, English Mono Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, as well as English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.

Special features are as follows: 

• Introduction by Leonard Maltin
  • Commentary by Leonard Maltin, Western historian Frank Thompson and actor Lee Aaker
  • The Making of Hondo

o   The Making of Hondo

o   Profile: James Edward Grant

o   The John Wayne Stock Company: Ward Bond

o   Wrap up with Leonard Maltin

• From the Batjac Vaults
  • The Apache
  • Photo Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer
About Paramount Home Media Distribution

Paramount Home Media Distribution (PHMD) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  The PHMD division oversees PPC’s home entertainment, digital and television distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.  PHMD additionally manages global licensing of studio content and distribution across worldwide digital and television distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

HONDO Blu-ray

Street date:                June 5, 2012

SRP:                            $24.99 U.S.

Runtime:                     83 minutes

.                                   U.S. Rating:                  Not Rated

Canadian Rating:       G

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 68 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,517 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 06 2012 - 07:23 AM

No 3D, no sale...

#3 of 68 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,266 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 06 2012 - 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill 

No 3D, no sale...

I feel the same way. It's a very disappointing missed opportunity.

#4 of 68 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 08:49 AM

What's the aspect ratio? Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#5 of 68 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 06 2012 - 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill 

No 3D, no sale...

Not me, it's one of my favorite Wayne films and after a number of viewings, I still haven't seen it in 3-D.  If it ever comes out in 3-D then I'll buy it again.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 68 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 06 2012 - 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek 

What's the aspect ratio?
Bob

I suspect it's full frame like the 2005 SD DVD release with exactly the same special features.

Crawdaddy

#7 of 68 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 09:22 AM

I don't like the cover art. It makes Hondo look like some soulless digital made-for-DVD movie. I prefer this: Posted Image The wrong aspect ratio and no 3-D option -- I might as well stick with the DVD. No 3-D, no sale. Paramount needs to Posted Image

#8 of 68 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 09:24 AM

From our article on the production and 3-D release of HONDO: http://www.3dfilmpf.org/info.html

On May 19, Jack Warner announced the new All-Media Camera, a camera designed to shoot in any format-- black and white or color, 3-D and/or widescreen, or flat. The rig was designed and built by the studios camera department, and would be utilized for the first time on HONDO. Cinematographers Robert Burks and Archie Stout would be shooting on location, in 3-D and widescreen. Films shot with the All-Media rig were composed for the aspect ratio of 1.75:1 or 1.85:1. Principal photography began in Camargo, Mexico on June 11. The picturesque landscape would provide the perfect visual setting, but the director and cinematographers had trouble adjusting to the new camera. On June 18, Jack Warner viewed three reels of dailies and was concerned about the lack of close-ups, especially in the scene where John Wayne first meets Geraldine Page. He sent a telegram to the Duke and said "Director is not moving you and Geraldine close enough to camera. Everything seems to be too far away. Must have usual over-shoulder close shots individuals and tight twos in three-dimensional pictures so we can see peoples expressions and everything else." On June 20, John Wayne replied: "Farrow has done everything but play music to get camera in for close shots. Seems our lenses are matted for 1.75 or 1.8 screen, plus fact that cameraman is over cautious for fear front office will scream eyestrain. Will show cameraman your wire. Think it will do the trick. He is really working hard but has limited us in making shots because of his fear and reluctance to do a shot that might throw background lines too wide an angle." Jack Warner's advice was taken, and Robert Burks starting moving the camera in tighter for close shots. However, over the next several weeks, the elements proved to be a major problem. The intense heat, dust, wind and rain caused multiple delays throughout shooting. As a result, there are several shots in HONDO that are flat, due to a malfunction with one of the cameras.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#9 of 68 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 06 2012 - 09:31 AM

I'll buy it because I am a John Wayne fan. I don't have 3D at this point but I do have a nice projector with 106" 16x9 and 120" 2.35 screens. What gets me is the studios (and equipment manufacturers) want this 3D thing to succeed, yet they pass up a perfect opportunity here to pull in more customers. I would be very tempted to upgrade my gear if stuff like Hondo, House of Wax, Creature From The Black Lagoon, etc., were released in 3D.

#10 of 68 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 10:19 AM

A few years ago, if a studio released a film in the wrong ratio and lacking an important aspect of its production, people would be up in arms. Now it seems that nobody is terribly concerned or disappointed. I feel that 3-D and widescreen is as important to HONDO as widescreen and color is to a film like THE ROBE. What changed? Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#11 of 68 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,517 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 06 2012 - 12:00 PM

Bob, right now, the aspect ratio is just conjecture. But the 3D is not. This is a real missed opportunity, and I will not support it with a purchase.

#12 of 68 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 06 2012 - 12:07 PM

I don't think the aspect ratio is conjecture - from what I understand, it's the same transfer and ratio as the DVD.

#13 of 68 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,739 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 06 2012 - 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by haineshisway 

I don't think the aspect ratio is conjecture - from what I understand, it's the same transfer and ratio as the DVD.

Then that is a shame.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 68 ONLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 02:14 PM

I've purchased the full screen 2-D version twice already: First on VHS and later on DVD. If the 3-D and correct aspect ratio are still not on tap, this is an easy pass for me as well.

#15 of 68 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 11:06 PM

A few years ago, if a studio released a film in the wrong ratio and lacking an important aspect of its production, people would be up in arms. Now it seems that nobody is terribly concerned or disappointed.
I feel that 3-D and widescreen is as important to HONDO as widescreen and color is to a film like THE ROBE.
What changed?
Bob

But it is my understanding that Hondo was released prior to the onset of widescreen lenses...is that not the case?  Hondo has always looked properly framed to me, in the standard 4:3 ratio.  Regardless, this is one of my top-ten John Wayne movies, and I'll be getting it the day of it's release.  Very excited to see the wonderful cinematography of the film in high def!

#16 of 68 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 01:19 AM

On May 19, Jack Warner announced the new All-Media Camera, a camera designed to shoot in any format-- black and white or color, 3-D and/or widescreen, or flat. The rig was designed and built by the studios camera department, and would be utilized for the first time on HONDO. Cinematographers Robert Burks and Archie Stout would be shooting on location, in 3-D and widescreen. Films shot with the All-Media rig were composed for the aspect ratio of 1.75:1 or 1.85:1. Principal photography began in Camargo, Mexico on June 11. The picturesque landscape would provide the perfect visual setting, but the director and cinematographers had trouble adjusting to the new camera. On June 18, Jack Warner viewed three reels of dailies and was concerned about the lack of close-ups, especially in the scene where John Wayne first meets Geraldine Page. He sent a telegram to the Duke and said "Director is not moving you and Geraldine close enough to camera. Everything seems to be too far away. Must have usual over-shoulder close shots individuals and tight twos in three-dimensional pictures so we can see peoples expressions and everything else." On June 20, John Wayne replied: "Farrow has done everything but play music to get camera in for close shots. Seems our lenses are matted for 1.75 or 1.8 screen, plus fact that cameraman is over cautious for fear front office will scream eyestrain. Will show cameraman your wire. Think it will do the trick. He is really working hard but has limited us in making shots because of his fear and reluctance to do a shot that might throw background lines too wide an angle."

http://www.3dfilmpf.org/info.html
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#17 of 68 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 07 2012 - 01:41 AM

From our article on the production and 3-D release of HONDO: http://www.3dfilmpf.org/info.html

Quote:
On May 19, Jack Warner announced the new All-Media Camera, a camera designed to shoot in any format-- black and white or color, 3-D and/or widescreen, or flat. The rig was designed and built by the studios camera department, and would be utilized for the first time on HONDO. Cinematographers Robert Burks and Archie Stout would be shooting on location, in 3-D and widescreen. Films shot with the All-Media rig were composed for the aspect ratio of 1.75:1 or 1.85:1.
Principal photography began in Camargo, Mexico on June 11. The picturesque landscape would provide the perfect visual setting, but the director and cinematographers had trouble adjusting to the new camera. On June 18, Jack Warner viewed three reels of dailies and was concerned about the lack of close-ups, especially in the scene where John Wayne first meets Geraldine Page. He sent a telegram to the Duke and said "Director is not moving you and Geraldine close enough to camera. Everything seems to be too far away. Must have usual over-shoulder close shots individuals and tight twos in three-dimensional pictures so we can see peoples expressions and everything else." On June 20, John Wayne replied: "Farrow has done everything but play music to get camera in for close shots. Seems our lenses are matted for 1.75 or 1.8 screen, plus fact that cameraman is over cautious for fear front office will scream eyestrain. Will show cameraman your wire. Think it will do the trick. He is really working hard but has limited us in making shots because of his fear and reluctance to do a shot that might throw background lines too wide an angle."
Jack Warner's advice was taken, and Robert Burks starting moving the camera in tighter for close shots. However, over the next several weeks, the elements proved to be a major problem. The intense heat, dust, wind and rain caused multiple delays throughout shooting. As a result, there are several shots in HONDO that are flat, due to a malfunction with one of the cameras.

Crawdaddy

#18 of 68 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,918 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 07 2012 - 01:41 AM

A few years ago, if a studio released a film in the wrong ratio and lacking an important aspect of its production, people would be up in arms. Now it seems that nobody is terribly concerned or disappointed.
I feel that 3-D and widescreen is as important to HONDO as widescreen and color is to a film like THE ROBE.
What changed?
Bob

Bob, from the way things are going in this thread it looks as if the collective “We” are upset about this if it is in the wrong Ratio. Currently that is strictly conjectured at the moment as the press release only mentions 1080p but not the ratio. More so upsetting is the missed golden opportunity to release a classic 3D film in 3D to a new generation. Sooner or later the studios are going to need to address classic Hollywood 3D.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#19 of 68 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 02:04 AM

As a result, there are several shots in HONDO that are flat, due to a malfunction with one of the cameras.

Yes, there are a couple of non-3-D shots that are in the film. But make no mistake, the film should be presented in widescreen and 3-D. Even if they don't release in 3-D on Blu-ray, there's no excuse for the incorrect aspect ratio. No sale.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#20 of 68 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,476 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 04:32 AM

But it is my understanding that Hondo was released prior to the onset of widescreen lenses...is that not the case?  Hondo has always looked properly framed to me, in the standard 4:3 ratio.  Regardless, this is one of my top-ten John Wayne movies, and I'll be getting it the day of it's release.  Very excited to see the wonderful cinematographyof the filmin high def!

By May of 1953, all the Hollywood studios had switched to widescreen cinematography. In the summer of that year, most major theaters had installed new widescreens. HONDO was released in late November so most of the major theaters were equipped to run it in the recommended ratio of 1.85. However, it was also protected for 1.37 so that theaters not yet converted could show it in the standard academy ratio. That's how it's been shown ever since. Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Forum Nav Content I Follow