-

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: Titanic (1953) (Blu-ray)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 of 45 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,695 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 10 2012 - 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Amazing.  Just amazing.  I was thinking, what a great new updated definition of "vaporware", but it looks like it was actually released in the UK this week and is readily available from Amazon UK.  (It says Region B, but you never know.)

That is what is holding me up from ordering it and the Blu version of Lifeboat.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#22 of 45 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted April 11 2012 - 04:23 AM

I ordered it from BestBuy and received an email that it was backordered and could expect it in 2 weeks or so.

#23 of 45 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,814 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 06:49 AM

Amazing.  Just amazing.  I was thinking, what a great new updated definition of "vaporware", but it looks like it was actually released in the UK this week and is readily available from Amazon UK.  (It says Region B, but you never know.)

Region (Zone) free.

#24 of 45 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 11:43 AM

Weird thing about my Best Buy order is that it is listed as backordered on the site, but I've also got an email today stating the following:

Thank you for your interest in TITANIC (1953) (sku 19990251) on BestBuy.com. Your order is currently on backorder and remains out of stock; as a result, your order will be canceled. We are sorry for this and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We hope you will visit www.BestBuy.com to find an alternative product. Your credit card was not charged for this item. Any other payment method used on this order has been credited. To view the amount of the credit and updated order details, please check your order status. If you used a gift card for this order and no longer have it, please call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) and we'll send you a replacement. If you have questions about the cancellation process, please click here. Thank you for shopping at BestBuy.com,

What can this possibly mean? That the item will not be available?

#25 of 45 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted April 11 2012 - 12:00 PM

I also just received today a note from Best Buy saying my order for Titanic (Clifton Webb) had been cancelled. Ok, so they are going to miss Titanic week on this title. I guess someone is figuring that the title will sell better sometime later. Lots of luck on that one. This also is not the way for Best Buy to build patronage. I keep trying to buy their exclusive titles and keep having problems doing so. How they can possibly think that making people jump through hoops to buy something will create customer satisfaction is hard to understand. Also, I don't know what kind of deal Fox gets out of this, but it certainly isn't helping sell disks because no one can buy them. With all of the complaining about Twilight Time around here, at least the first 3000 people do get their disks in an orderly and efficient way. Typically, 3000 is enough it appears. It seems that Fox should give up on Best Buy and move to Twilight Time. As for myself, the title is not very good, I guess I will just skip it. The only thing is that I remember seeing it during original theatrical release and the father/son relationship made an impression on me at the time, having only recently heard about the Titanic story. Bob

#26 of 45 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 12:09 PM

I'm guessing Best Buy will not be carrying the title in the near future. Their recent French Connection exclusive was backordered for about a month, but I got it with no cancellation. Hopefully it turns up somewhere soon, or I'll be importing this title like many others.

#27 of 45 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,967 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 01:41 AM

GREAT NEWS!!! I just spoke with Amazon. I had placed my order from them. Titanic was moved to April 24th for it's release date. Amazon stated it was Fox of course which changed the date. I will just have towatch my old VHS copy of the movie this weekend. Hey also on H2 they will have the Nazi Titanic Saturday at 8 PM CST. I saw the movie when it aired on TCM last year. History Channel is also doing a 100 year look back at 7:00 PM CST Sunday Night. I have purchase all the 4 dvds on Titanic. The Mill Creek so far has been the best. The History Channel DVD I already had on VHS. I have yet to watch the NG's copy which had a 2 bucks off movie ticket when you buy it from Walmart. The only thing on it that I have not seen is a Q&A. I have all that is on there but thought what the heck. I also bought the Discovery Channel but have yet to watch it. I have already pre ordered the ABC mini series. I thought anything by Downton Abbey producers must be good. I also have Titanica IMAX on VHS and that is very good. Raise the Titanic and SOS Ttianic I wish would get DVD treatment. The George C Scott Titanic which came out in 97 is pretty bad. I may keep it until the last to watch. Have stayed away from the 3D version sorry JIM!!! I hope when it goes blu-ray they will include the NG special. The special aires again tonight at 8 and I believe Sunday afternoon at 4. I am going to record it just to be on the safe side.

#28 of 45 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted April 13 2012 - 05:32 AM

Our host has opened a thread with pre-order links for the 1997 "Titanic" at Walmart here in the blu-ray forum...I just placed my order for a September 14th release of Cameron's version in both 2D and 3D!!!Posted Image

#29 of 45 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 08:33 AM

I cannot believe Fox missed the anniversary with the 1953 Titanic. We knew the 1997 version would be in theaters, so between Criterion getting Night to Remember on blu, Kino's German version of Titanic and Cameron in theaters, would have been a great time. Has Fox said why Titanic slipped its original release date? Given it is a fairly high profile release, this is fairly humiliating to say the least.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#30 of 45 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,043 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 15 2012 - 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MattPeriolat 

I cannot believe Fox missed the anniversary with the 1953 Titanic. We knew the 1997 version would be in theaters, so between Criterion getting Night to Remember on blu, Kino's German version of Titanic and Cameron in theaters, would have been a great time. Has Fox said why Titanic slipped its original release date? Given it is a fairly high profile release, this is fairly humiliating to say the least.

Disappointing and infuriating would be my words for it.

#31 of 45 sluferk

sluferk

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 04:31 AM

The "Titanic" blu-ray that comes out on the 24th is the new Titanic mini-series, and not the 1953 movie. Amazon in very confused.

#32 of 45 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 10:10 AM

So what on earth happened here? I mean, for this to just drop off the radar with nothing from the studio for an explanation is really bizarre.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#33 of 45 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 09:56 AM

From The Digital Bits today: Finally, a number of you have asked about the status of Fox's Titanic (1953). It was set for BD release on 4/3, but many retailers (including Amazon.com) failed to receive their stock of discs on that date and it's no longer up for pre-order on the site. We're told by studio sources that the title has simply been delayed until later in 2012, and we would guess that it's to better capitalize on Paramount's TBA BD release of James Cameron's Titanic (tentatively expected on 9/14). So it's still coming, just not for a few months yet. Adjust your plans accordingly. http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

#34 of 45 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 10:05 AM

Nice of them to tell us in advance.

Idiots.

Sorry, but I really am peeved at Fox over this. To pull this with no warning is really unprofessional. I'll still get it when it does come out, but really bad form.

#35 of 45 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 01:17 PM

Similar case with the Harvey blu-ray from Universal, which seems to have been pushed back out of the blue with little, if any, additional press. If the Rita Hayworth collection tells us anything, if the the home video cover art and packaging has been released to retailers, it will be released eventually, even if it takes another year :rolleyes:

#36 of 45 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,695 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 22 2013 - 08:08 AM

I thought that Fox said they were going to release this title last Tuesday with Wild River and How Green Was Your Valley. I guess I misread so does anyone have an update?
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#37 of 45 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,513 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 22 2013 - 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

I thought that Fox said they were going to release this title last Tuesday with Wild River and How Green Was Your Valley. I guess I misread so does anyone have an update?

I got the BD right in my hand as I type this reply.  I think some retailers are having difficulty getting it, but I received my copy of it from ImportCDs.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#38 of 45 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,695 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 22 2013 - 11:08 AM

I got the BD right in my hand as I type this reply.  I think some retailers are having difficulty getting it, but I received my copy of it from ImportCDs. Crawdaddy

Thanks. I will start the hunt.

#39 of 45 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,582 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 11:33 AM

Sam's Club had this title for $9.98 (in the Chicago Burbs).

#40 of 45 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,164 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted January 22 2013 - 12:21 PM

Sam's Club had this title for $9.98 (in the Chicago Burbs).

Thanks for the heads up!

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users