-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Breaking Bad - Season 5 (AMC)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
965 replies to this topic

#881 of 966 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,324 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 11:35 AM

Travis,

I am sort of putting the final season of THE WIRE on a long hold.

I saw the first 2-3 episodes and found I really didn't like this season.  What turned me

off was the introduction of the Newspaper staff.  

Of course, this probably the way I felt about the first few episodes of every season

I have watched of anything until the story really gets into gear.

In any case, I am going to be traveling over the next week or two and then I have a

major hardware review to do that will take about a week.

I don't expect to resume THE WIRE until mid November.  But, when I do, I plan to

get it all done in about a day.

Glad to hear the final season gets better and that I am in store for a great finale.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#882 of 966 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,698 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 02 2013 - 11:39 AM

Travis,

I am sort of putting the final season of THE WIRE on a long hold.

I saw the first 2-3 episodes and found I really didn't like this season.  What turned me

off was the introduction of the Newspaper staff.

I love to whine about the media so the newspaper storyline was right up my alley. That being said, I've seen a number of folks that hated the story but they also usually say how much they really liked the finale. I'd say more about what I liked about the finale but it would be spoiler-ish so I'll just leave it at that.

Edited by TravisR, October 02 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#883 of 966 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 04:19 PM

Being only a few days beyond the Breaking Bad finale, I think it's unfair to judge, but as of this minute, I think I would say the FINALE of the 'The Wire' was slightly better than the 'Breaking Bad' finale.  Probably the only other finale I would put ahead of Breaking Bad as of right now is 'Six Feet Under'.  But who knows what I will think a year from now.  I will say that as a whole I don't think either of those shows were better than Breaking Bad.

Another point worth making is I think the whole finale thing with serialized shows is way overblown.  I mean, are we to judge a series that in most cases told a story for 50+ episodes, based on the last 40-60 minutes?  As has already been said, the finale of Breaking Bad started with Ozymandias in my eyes.  In that sense, I don't think there was a better finale.

As for Lost, I wasn't a fan of the way it ended, I watched every episode and thought it was decent for network TV, but didn't quite get what all the fuss was about.  But I actually have a new respect for Lindelof after reading his post, and I kind of feel sorry for him now since it sounds like he's still taking abuse from fans for that finale.  And in no way was he admitting he fucked up the ending.  It sounded to me like he's just trying to get the annoying fans off his back.  As I said, I didn't care for the way it ended, but good for him for sticking to his guns.  Shame on the fans who still give him crap for it.  I really wonder what is wrong with people.

One other thing about the final season of The Wire...I really liked the newspaper story line.  The slight issue I had with that season was:

Spoiler

#884 of 966 Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

• 1,524 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 05:00 PM

Scott, I was going to respond to Ron's and Travis's discussion on season 5 of The Wire, but you covered my exact feelings. Worst of the 5 seasons IMO, but the finale was excellent. And I didn't like the season for the same reason you didn't. Where was the drama in that storyline?

I also agree that the BB finale started with Ozymandias, just as it will for the millions of people who will watch this for the first time online or on Blu-Ray and churn through the episodes in rapid fashion. I can just imagine the people who watch an episode or two after putting the kids to bed and start Ozymandias at 11p. No way they get to bed before 2a!

#885 of 966 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,698 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 06:59 PM

Being only a few days beyond the Breaking Bad finale, I think it's unfair to judge, but as of this minute, I think I would say the FINALE of the 'The Wire' was slightly better than the 'Breaking Bad' finale.  Probably the only other finale I would put ahead of Breaking Bad as of right now is 'Six Feet Under'.  But who knows what I will think a year from now.  I will say that as a whole I don't think either of those shows were better than Breaking Bad.

The finale of Six Feet Under (and Lost) both pack a helluva emotional punch. Personally, I cared more about the characters on Lost than Six Feet Under so I enjoy the Lost finale more but SFU is still excellent. The finale to The Wire manages to satisfyingly wrap up a tale about an entire city without feeling cramped or like they're shoe horning characters in. While it hasn't really been brought up, the finale to The Shield is ruthlessly brutal but I think I'd say that's the best finale that I've seen because it just goes for the jugular and isn't afraid to be horrific. I was 'scared' that Breaking Bad's ending would be as rough as The Shield's and when it wasn't, I ended up finding BB's ending to be oddly positive.

Another point worth making is I think the whole finale thing with serialized shows is way overblown.  I mean, are we to judge a series that in most cases told a story for 50+ episodes, based on the last 40-60 minutes?

Yeah, as the saying goes, it's the journey- not the destination- that matters.

One other thing about the final season of The Wire...I really liked the newspaper story line.  The slight issue I had with that season was:

Spoiler

I love that (big spoilers for The Wire)

Spoiler

#886 of 966 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,032 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 10:34 AM

I am assuming that the complete series box set will simply include the existing discs from the individual season sets, though I'd love to see a new version that corrects the subtitle issue on season 4.

#887 of 966 Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 11:35 AM

I am assuming that the complete series box set will simply include the existing discs from the individual season sets, though I'd love to see a new version that corrects the subtitle issue on season 4.

Out of curiosity, what's the issue with it?

#888 of 966 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,698 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 02:48 PM

Out of curiosity, what's the issue with it?

The subtitles didn't automatically activate on episodes with Spanish dialogue on the Blu-ray (the Gus flashback episode has probably a 10 minute scene entirely in Spanish). There's a fairly easy work around but it still shouldn't have happened.

EDIT: I posted the work around in a thread back when the disc came out because I knew I'd forget it. You have to "go into the pop-up menu, turn on the subtitles and then turn the subtitles off again, the subtitles should appear as intended for the Spanish dialogue." http://www.hometheat...-ray/?p=3827347

Edited by TravisR, October 03 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#889 of 966 Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 03 2013 - 06:11 PM

One thing I thought I saw, if I may please digress, in the Breaking Bad finale, was when Walt removed his watch from his wrist and set it down atop the pay phone before the ABQ phase of his homecoming/going journey began. That reminded me of the beginning of Easy Rider, just as Captain America did the same thing with his watch, removing it from his wrist before setting off on his journey with Billy. If you will recall, early on in Season 2, when Jesse was riding his moped around town, after returning with Walt following their trip to Hector's hideaway with Tuco, there was another Easy Rider reference as well. Outside of the mini mart, the homeless guy there referred to Jesse as Captain America.
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

#890 of 966 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,032 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 07:28 AM

Vince Gilligan revealed on Talking Bad that the real, behind-the-scenes reason for the watch scene is that Walt didn't have a watch during the diner scene from the season premier, which was filmed before they'd worked out many of the later plot details.

#891 of 966 SamT

SamT

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 07:46 AM

... was when Walt removed his watch from his wrist and set it down atop the pay phone before the ABQ phase of his homecoming/going journey began.

And that was a terrible thing to do. Everything he did afterward was watch based! :D  Going to the dinner, meeting the gang, all were on an exact hour.

Here since 1999!

trakt is a fun way to see what we watch and rate. Add me if you are in this thread!

#892 of 966 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,407 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 07:55 AM

One thing about TV that's wholly unlike movies is that movies are meticulously planned. Many TV shows have no real path mapped out. I have read that the ST:TNG guys would write themselves into a corner for the season ending cliffhanger and then spend the off-season trying to figure out a solution. 

The BrBa Insider podcast is fascinating for how much stuff was just made up as they went along. The M60 and ricin were introduced with no real idea of how they would be used, only that, in following the rule of Chekov's Gun, they would have to be used at some point. Part of the reason that Uncle Jack and the Neo-Nazis even existed was to create a group of villains that justified using the M60.

Gilligan's writing group was particularly adept at reaching back to past episodes and pulling out a small, rather insignificant details and using them as a springboard for a new plot device. In doing so, it made it look like they laid the seeds for it all along. In reality, it was all rather off the cuff.

Edited by Hanson, October 04 2013 - 09:05 AM.

• cafink likes this

#893 of 966 SamT

SamT

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 08:07 AM

Yes, only season 2 was planned all in advance. By the way, this is even better than Breaking Bad!

Edited by SamT, October 04 2013 - 08:07 AM.

Here since 1999!

trakt is a fun way to see what we watch and rate. Add me if you are in this thread!

#894 of 966 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,698 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 08:26 AM

Yes, only season 2 was planned all in advance.

I'm sure they've said but I bet that even that story was only planned as far as the broad stroke of Walt's actions being an indirect cause of a plane crash. Jane, her father, Walt letting her overdose, etc. was probably all made up as they went along in the season.

#895 of 966 SamT

SamT

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 09:02 AM

The overdose I don't think so. That's directly tied to the crash and the idea of Walt's actions.

Here since 1999!

#896 of 966 SamT

SamT

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm watching all the Talking Bad episodes, wisely I didn't watch any special features before the series ended. I was amazed that Bill Hader predicted, 2 episodes in advance, that the ricin was for Lydia. It was funny how Dean Norris' face went dead cold when he predicted it. I think Dean Norris knew.

I don't remember, has anyone here predicted correctly that the ricin was for Lydia? I'm just surprised at Bill Hader's guess because I didn't guess it and only got it when watching the final.

Edited by SamT, October 06 2013 - 01:39 PM.

Here since 1999!

#897 of 966 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 06 2013 - 03:14 PM

Josh figured it out beforehand.  Once he said it and tied it to the Stevia, I knew it was right. 

#898 of 966 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 05:23 PM

And I think when Bill Hader said it, he was kind of joking around because of all of Lydia's references to Stevia.

#899 of 966 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,984 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted October 06 2013 - 05:44 PM

Just realized it's Sunday, and there's no Breaking Bad on tonight.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#900 of 966 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,698 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 06:13 PM

I told a friend that Lydia was going to get the ricin but throughout the course of the episodes, I probably also said that Walt, Skyler, Jesse, Hank, Marie, Junior, Saul or Todd were going to get poisoned too. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users