-

Photo
- - - - -

Any Inside Info on Gunsmoke?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 619 posts

Posted March 04 2012 - 02:51 PM

Does anyone have a crystal ball they can look into and tell if there will be any more Gunsmoke releases this year? Netflix stopped their Gunsmoke streaming so I'm starting to miss it. :(

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted March 05 2012 - 02:37 AM

Don't have a Crystal ball but I would guess they will continue their painfully slow and premium priced one split season release a year with Season 6 this year. Everyone better take their vitamins to be around for the release of season 20 though. After this season the show goes to one hour so it will be interesting to see what happens then as I believe they probably mastered all 6 seasons of the 1/2 shows awhile ago but not sure if they have done anything on the hour long shows so hopefully it doesn't stall out after Season 6 or go to unmastered shows like they just did with Rawhide in which case I would stop buying them.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,649 posts

Posted March 05 2012 - 07:26 AM

Don't have a Crystal ball but I would guess they will continue their painfully slow and premium priced one split season release a year with Season 6 this year. Everyone better take their vitamins to be around for the release of season 20 though. After this season the show goes to one hour so it will be interesting to see what happens then as I believe they probably mastered all 6 seasons of the 1/2 shows awhile ago but not sure if they have done anything on the hour long shows so hopefully it doesn't stall out after Season 6 or go to unmastered shows like they just did with Rawhide in which case I would stop buying them.

Ugh! I'm sure you're right. Whenever I think of this, it just kills me. There absolutely has to be a better way to release this on dvd. Timeless Media has a much, much better releses schedule concerning classic tv westerns on dvd.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted March 05 2012 - 09:19 AM

If only we could get them to go back to a full season set and raise the list price to $49.99 or even $59.99 and then we might at least get two seasons a year. I do like Timeless western release schedule but the flip side is it comes that fast because the majority of their shows are not remastered and are somewhat of a gamble on quality because of it ranging from slightly below average to slightly above average compared to the excellent quality of Gunsmoke. The Virginian is definately their exception with excellent quality there.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 03:06 AM

Season 6, Volume 1 in August! http://tvshowsondvd....-Volume-1/16940 Season 6 is the rarest season of Gunsmoke to find complete and unedited. I'm happy to see them do it. I hope these episodes are digitized from new digitally-created transfers. When the majority of them aired on Encore Westerns, it seemed they had been digitized from slightly rough 16mm prints. All except the last 10 episodes of the season, that is. Those last 10 episodes looked like they were digitized from new transfers, the same standard they had on all the episodes from seasons 1-5.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 05:38 AM

Glad its coming but dissapointed its still split seasons both for the cost and the time to complete the series. So if we get volume two before the end of the year we only have 14 more years to go to complete the series. 2026 will be here in no time right :D

Top 20 Films

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,649 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 06:04 AM

Yes. I want to watch every episode on dvd, before I die. But at this rate.....I may not be up to task. Good news. I guess.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 02:44 PM

Or perhaps... just perhaps... CBS will surprise us and release Season 7, V1 of Gunsmoke before the end of this year!  And maybe they'll release S7, V2 within the first couple of months of next year.  Could it be that my crystal ball sees such provocative things?  Posted Image

Gary "I think Gunsmoke is in reasonably good shape for releases in the immediate future" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 619 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 03:06 PM

Thank you o great and mighty swami!:)

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 02:38 AM

Or perhaps... just perhaps... CBS will surprise us and release Season 7, V1 of Gunsmoke before the end of this year!  And maybe they'll release S7, V2 within the first couple of months of next year.  Could it be that my crystal ball sees such provocative things?  :crazy: Gary "I think Gunsmoke is in reasonably good shape for releases in the immediate future" O.

I hope you are right Gary but with Season 6 Vol. 1 just announced for August and Season 6 vol 2 not yet annouced it seems hard to believe Season 7 vol 1 is coming before the end of the year unless we get a gunsmoke release every 2 months which I wouldn't mind but would be very surprising.

Top 20 Films

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   handley

handley

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 07:01 AM

I hope you're right, Gary! I never saw much of Gunsmoke during the original network run, but I'm enjoying the heck out of the DVDs. That core cast had some of the greatest chemistry I've ever seen!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 07:11 AM

Well so we are getting , Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and Streets of San Francisco Releases by Year's End, where oh where is HGWT Season 6 ? ...Hello are you out there ..... and more Rawhide please.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex