Photo
- - - - -

Blu-ray Player with built in Wi-Fi ... best one for streaming?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted March 04 2012 - 12:44 PM

I am looking into a Blu-Ray player with built in Wifi that will primarily be used for streaming Netflix and the like. Which one has the best selection of built in Apps as well as the most trouble free one from your experience on the market right now? Actual blu-ray disc watching will be secondary to this as I am completely new to it and honestly don't plan to buy much software save for some kids titles for my daughter. Thanks much for all the feedback ... it's a very wide sea to navigate without some expert help.

#2 of 10 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted March 04 2012 - 01:14 PM

I don't know if they're the best, but I love the Panasonic Blu-ray players. I just received my new Pan. BDT220 and it's an excellent player. It's got numerous apps, but the only one I use is Netflix. The DVD upscaling is also excellent. It outputs Netflix in 1080p, 5.1 surround sound, and also subtitles. These are all upgrades from my previous Pan. player. I paid $145 shipped from Amazon.

#3 of 10 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Advanced Member

• 2,060 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted March 04 2012 - 01:28 PM

The Sony BDP-S580 is another good choice. The main thing that is a pain is Sony's insistence in registering first on the Sony Network site to activate the apps. Other than that issue, it's a very solid machine.

#4 of 10 Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted March 04 2012 - 02:07 PM

I don't know if they're the best, but I love the Panasonic Blu-ray players. I just received my new Pan. BDT220 and it's an excellent player. It's got numerous apps, but the only one I use is Netflix. The DVD upscaling is also excellent. It outputs Netflix in 1080p, 5.1 surround sound, and also subtitles. These are all upgrades from my previous Pan. player. I paid $145 shipped from Amazon.

The subtitles alone on Netflix would have me sold. I see on Amazon's page that it also plays movie from a NTFS formatted HDD. Any idea if this would have to be an external one hooked up through USB to the player or it can read off of a internal PC drive on the home network wired/wireless? Sorry for all the questions ... just looking for a solid all-in-one machine. Should have mentioned I have a 1st Gen Roku box which has served me well but since I need a blu-ray anyway might as well have it do all the work.

#5 of 10 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted March 04 2012 - 07:43 PM

The subtitles alone on Netflix would have me sold. I see on Amazon's page that it also plays movie from a NTFS formatted HDD. Any idea if this would have to be an external one hooked up through USB to the player or it can read off of a internal PC drive on the home network wired/wireless? Sorry for all the questions ... just looking for a solid all-in-one machine. Should have mentioned I have a 1st Gen Roku box which has served me well but since I need a blu-ray anyway might as well have it do all the work.

Sorry, but I know nothing about what you're asking. There's a thread going at Avsforum for the new Panasonic Blu-ray players if you want to ask there.

#6 of 10 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted March 04 2012 - 11:33 PM

I'll second Todd's reco of the Sony S580. I got one at a Sony outlet store for $20 and it's been working great for me. It performs well with both Netflix and Amazon. Plus, I've had no problems streaming content from my NAS. I'll also second what Tod said about having to register with Sony to use the apps as extremely annoying. Other manufacturers don't make yo udo that.

#7 of 10 Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted March 05 2012 - 05:27 AM

Sorry, but I know nothing about what you're asking. There's a thread going at Avsforum for the new Panasonic Blu-ray players if you want to ask there.

Thanks much ... i found it and posted there. As far as the Sony player ... looks solid, but that registration is not something I would want to do ...

#8 of 10 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted March 05 2012 - 12:21 PM

Another advantage the Panasonic players have over the Sonys is GREAT DVD upscaling. I've never read that in any of the pro reviews of the Sonys.

#9 of 10 John Stockton

John Stockton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted April 01 2012 - 06:22 PM

If your primary use is streaming then the 2012 Sony line are great. The S390 and the S590 are both available at reasonable price. Both do 1080P and 5.1 audio from Netflix. They also stream 5.1 audio from Amazon on Demand, something that the Panasonics do not do. The main difference between the two is the 3D which is only available in the 590.

#10 of 10 John Garcia

John Garcia

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 11,490 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted April 02 2012 - 05:14 AM

Why not go with a newer Roku? Less expensive and generally streams far better than my Panasonic player. I would choose a Panasonic player over a Sony for BD players though. I've owned 3 and have been very pleased with them.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users