Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What screen to buy? Please help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   mlakes

mlakes

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 03 2012 - 11:19 AM

Ok long story short. I have finished my basement and now am looking to finish the theater. I got a great deal on an Epson 3010 projector and have a 7.1 speaker system already in. I am now looking for a very reasonable screen and receiver. I am completely green when it comes to projector screens. I was actually going to purchase a 80" flatpanel until I got such a deal on the projector. It will be used to watch sports and a lot of movies. My basement has complete light control. I am talking from pitch black to 8 recessed and four sconces lightening it up light mid summers day. I was looking at a Denon AVR-1912 for a receiver. I want to stay pretty economical. I am more than likely selling the house this year and building a new one with my fiancee but really want to enjoy it until then. Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated. I am ok with used as well if anyone has a deal. Room is 13'W X 19'L. So any screen that is above roughly 84" to 92" may have to be accoustically transparent so it doenst block speakers. Speakers are in-wall and I want to kept the coorect listening angle of 30. Thanks

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,895 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 03 2012 - 05:21 PM

Carada screens are a pretty good bang for the buck.  You just need to decide if you want fixed (cheaper) or motorized.  They do not make transparent screens which can get pricey.  The cheapest transparent screen I have seen is made by SMX

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted March 04 2012 - 12:59 AM

economic and acoustically transparent are not terms that can be used in the same sentence!! Carada is on the pricey side of economical but makes some nice screens. Also look at Elite Screens for a lesser price.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,952 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 05 2012 - 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by mlakes 

Speakers are in-wall and I want to kept the coorect listening angle of 30.

You installed in-wall speakers before settling on screen size/placement?

What size screen can you fit in the space without blocking the in-wall speakers?

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted March 05 2012 - 05:27 AM

This is another reason why I would never use in-wall speakers. I would replace the in-wall speakers before I bought an acoustic transparent screen.