What's new

System Configuration Problems for better remote control operation - Help Needed! (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
That's a fairly generic header, so I'll jump right in to specifics. I've had a fairly complex setup for years and have been using a Harmony remote for most of it with a great level of success. Last month, I upgraded my old Denon receiver to a Pioneer VSX-53, so that I could switch video via HDMI and stream audio from home network. The core of problem lies with the fact that I can now control the receiver from the Computer, Ipad, Iphone, etc....., so the Harmony remote easily gets out of sync with the system. I'm not sure what the best way is to rectify this problem. I'm looking in to the following, but I'm new with all of these technologies and am not sure if they will help or not. 1. Control via HDMI 2. 12V relay (Only a couple of components have this) 3. New remote brand/technology (I've really loved my Harmony though :( Here is a list of what I would like to control with as few remotes as possible as well as the Ipad, Iphone, etc.... 1. Panasonic Viera 58" Plasma TV 2. Pioneer VSX-53 3. Oppo Blu-Ray 4. Oppo DVD 5. DirecTV HD/DVR 6. Roku Box 7. Pioneer Laserdisc Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
The primary example is that I can power on the receiver from the computer/Ipad when I'm listening to music. Now if I decide to watch TV or a movie, my harmony thinks that the receiver is off and tries to turn it on, which ends with the receiver being off and all of the other components on. The receiver remote only has a power/toggle button. I supposed I can see if there is a command in the database specifically for "Power On". Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I just looked through all of the commands for the Pioneer receiver and could not find a specific "Power On" or "Power Off" Command. I find this strange since the Denon receiver that I'm replacing had this......and that this Pioneer is supposed to be in a higher class. I believe that it has something called "Standby Mode". Could playing with this be a solution?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just looked through all of the commands for the Pioneer receiver and could not find a specific "Power On" or "Power Off" Command.
Pioneer uses the same command to toggle on/off. They have for years.
I find this strange since the Denon receiver that I'm replacing had this......and that this Pioneer is supposed to be in a higher class.
Has nothing to do with "class". It's a decision made by the designers. The only way I know to do this is to use an intermediate translator like the Ocelot. It would receive the power on/off command and check the status of the receiver and other equipment to determine if it let the signal pass. It's expensive and difficult to program but it will solve your issue.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Has nothing to do with "class". It's a decision made by the designers. The only way I know to do this is to use an intermediate translator like the Ocelot. It would receive the power on/off command and check the status of the receiver and other equipment to determine if it let the signal pass. It's expensive and difficult to program but it will solve your issue.
Thanks for the input. I don't have the money or time to waste on a translator. If anything, I'll just have the Harmony treat the Receiver as though it's always on and toggle it's power independently. My other question still lies with control via HDMI. Does anybody know of a good guide? The manuals with both the TV and receiver are extremely vague and filled with technical jargon that I'm not familiar with. Through the reading that I've done thus far, it sound like I can have the receiver in a standby mode and when the TV is turned on, it will automatically wake up the receiver. I think that this could be a possible solution, but there are 3-4 setting per device and I'm not sure which setting to turn on and off. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks