Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

silence of the lambs, DVD version reviews?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 09:20 AM

So, I note at least three DVD releases of the film SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. (If this has been covered in other threads, apologies; I did a search and didn't find this particular thing addressed.) There's the Criterion. There's the original MGM. There's the "better" MGM. Then there's this other thing, a 2-disc "Collector's Edition" with the greenish box. Can anyone point me toward a DVD review of this item, or at least a comparison of these DVDs? I'm interested mostly in PQ, extras are a secondary thing for me. (Saw the 2-disc green box "CE" in a used DVD place this weekend for a steal, but didn't know enough about it to buy it.) I look forward to some direction and insight! Thanks! MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,470 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 11:25 AM

Have an old friend for dinner (and a movie): http://www.dvd-basen...=1&land=z&ok=go

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,330 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 12:19 PM

Unless you're hellbent on having a commentary (because for whatever MGM elected not to license Criterion's), then the 2-disc is the way to go (especially on blu-ray) here in region 1.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 12:40 PM

Wow. DVD-basen is a pretty amazing site, thanks for that excellent review/comparison clearinghouse. I'm thinking I should get back to the place and snap up that 2-disc DVD version. Maybe I'll keep the Criterion (for the commentary) and sell of my other accumulated DVD versions. Thanks! MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,470 posts

Posted March 03 2012 - 02:19 AM

That's pretty much what I did as I recall (I don't have the discs on hand). The only one I've upgraded to Blu-ray is MANHUNTER, but I still kept the Anchor Bay SE DVD, much as I kept the Criterion SILENCE DVD as I bought the other one for the two-disc version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users