-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Big Trail & Barbarian and the Geisha - Blu-ray - Wal Mart Exclusive

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,627 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 01 2012 - 04:01 AM

Classic Flix has news today that both John Wayne titles, THE BIG TRAIL and BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA will be in Wal Mart on May 8th and on Blu-ray.  Two very interesting releases.

http://www.classicfl...sha-a-1175.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#2 of 39 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,877 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 01 2012 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the info. If The Big Trail isn't the Grandeur Edition, I will be very disappointed. Ideally, of course, both versions should be included.

#3 of 39 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,436 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted March 01 2012 - 04:12 AM

I posted this in another thread:

Slightly OT, but Caps-a-holic has a nice comparison between the German BD and DVD of Man of The West And caps, plus a review, of the French edition of The Big Trail can be found here. Sample: http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ There's another review here.

I've no doubt there will be little, if any, difference fundamentally between the French and US transfers of The Big Trail.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 39 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,134 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 01 2012 - 04:30 AM

The 2008 DVD had both the Grandeur and 1.33:1 versions, though the latter was simply an inclusion of an older DVD release. Would be cool to have both included, though if only one is then the Grandeur is the way to go (same logic as Disney's Lady and the Tramp).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 39 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,627 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 01 2012 - 04:56 AM

The frustrating part of any Wal Mart Exclusive, is there is not a formal announcement with extras.  While I do not expect any extras on Geisha except maybe a trailer, I do hope both versions of The Big Trail are included, but will purchase if it is only the Grandeur version.  Non-starter if it is only the flat version.  Fox did a great featurette about John Wayne and Fox that was on The Comancheros Blu-ray and if that is included on both it would be ok also.  They had a lot to say about Geisha and how it did not live up to it's expectations.  From what I understand this is the first North American official release of Geisha.  I believe there was a Brazilian DVD release that was code both Region 1 & 4.

Now Fox you need to bring out NORTH TO ALASKA as you did THE COMANCHEROS and not an exclusive.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#6 of 39 Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 546 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 05:03 AM

Boy, and I just spent a fortune on the Danish Soul Media releases! Wonder if NORTH TO ALASKA, THE CONQUEROR, DAVID AND BATHSHEBA and ALEXANDER THE GREAT are far behind. For those that may wonder, these were really nice looking on the Danish BDs. And my poor parents tried to explain to me the virtues of patience!

#7 of 39 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 01 2012 - 05:21 AM

I can't imagine they would choose the academy ratio over the Grandeur, as 2.00:1 takes up more picture area than 1.33:1 on a Blu-ray, but you never know about these things.

#8 of 39 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 05:22 AM

Hope they do something with the sound of the Grandeur version, the 2008 dvd was nigh unintelligible at times.

#9 of 39 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,436 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 05:45 AM

Boy, and I just spent a fortune on the Danish Soul Media releases! Wonder if NORTH TO ALASKA, THE CONQUEROR, DAVID AND BATHSHEBA and ALEXANDER THE GREAT are far behind. For those that may wonder, these were really nice looking on the Danish BDs. And my poor parents tried to explain to me the virtues of patience!

I didn't know until yesterday that Soul Media also released Drums Along The Mohawk; I'm *very* tempted having seen it broadcast in HD and it's sublime. I have the UK DVD release of The Barbarian and The Geisha; based on that, I'm not expecting the BD to blow anyone's socks off, but we live in hope,
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#10 of 39 Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 546 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 06:32 AM

John, I don't know, I've got that same UK standard BARBARIAN/GEISHA DVD, and the Soul Media BD version did blow it away. It's not HOW THE WEST WAS WON's quality, but really a vast improvement over the UK Fox release.

#11 of 39 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,436 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 07:14 AM

John, I don't know, I've got that same UK standard BARBARIAN/GEISHA DVD, and the Soul Media BD version did blow it away. It's not HOW THE WEST WAS WON's quality, but really a vast improvement over the UK Fox release.

Well, that's good to know; and *possibly* the US disc will see further improvement.
Film Journal Blog

#12 of 39 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hope they do something with the sound of the Grandeur version, the 2008 dvd was nigh unintelligible at times.

The sound is awfully low and distant at times but that might be how it was recorded in 1930. http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#13 of 39 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,877 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 01 2012 - 08:26 AM

Also not happy about these being exclusives (not in favor of that practice at all), but to get these vault titles, I'm willing to make concessions.

#14 of 39 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 08:33 AM

Wow, this news has really made my day!  I absolutely am in love with The Big Trail, and can't wait to see it in high def.  I remember when AMC first aired it 20 years ago, and it was in such poor shape, they had to use title cards to fill in missing sound tracks.  Now it is getting released in high def!  I know for sure this will not happen, but would love to see FOX release the full 150 minute version.  Not even sure they have the missing pieces in their vaults, but it's nice to dream.

Originally Posted by Ed Lachmann 

It's funny Ed, because I almost was going to bite the bullet to get a region free player in order to get Soul Media's John Wayne titles we had talked about.  I read in another thread that someone reported that Soul Media did not use the stereo tracks on Geisha.  Is that right?  I have a DVD-R of the film, burned off the FOX Movie channel, and it is definitely in stereo.  Would be a shame if the stereo tracks were not used for this upcoming R1 release.

#15 of 39 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,129 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 08:53 AM

They don't stay exclusive forever. In any case I can wait for BARBARIAN, which, like Huston's THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN, is more of a curiousity than a good film, one that the director disowned.

#16 of 39 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 14 2012 - 12:58 PM

I didn't know until yesterday that Soul Media also released Drums Along The Mohawk; I'm *very* tempted having seen it broadcast in HD and it's sublime. I have the UK DVD release of The Barbarian and The Geisha; based on that, I'm not expecting the BD to blow anyone's socks off, but we live in hope,

I received the Soul Media DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK today. It is 1080i 50Hz (watch out, U.S. buyers) not 1080p, and, unlike most Blu-ray inserts, there is nothing said about the format on the back. There is also a weird, out-of-phase quality to the sound, on both the Blu-ray and included PAL DVD. The picture is nice on the Blu-ray.

#17 of 39 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,436 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 08:58 PM

Thanks John; very helpful.
Film Journal Blog

#18 of 39 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted May 04 2012 - 11:16 PM

Just received an email from Walmart.com that the blus have shipped....yahoo!

#19 of 39 Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 546 posts

Posted May 05 2012 - 10:24 AM

It's funny Ed, because I almost was going to bite the bullet to get a region free player in order to get Soul Media's John Wayne titles we had talked about.  I read in another thread that someone reported that Soul Media did not use the stereo tracks on Geisha.  Is that right?  I have a DVD-R of the film, burned off the FOX Movie channel, and it is definitely in stereo.  Would be a shame if the stereo tracks were not used for this upcoming R1 release.

Well, Jim, I do believe that the tracks of GEISHA are mono and the old UK Fox release had the same problem. That said, I don't regret the purchase, as the film really looks good on the SoulMedia BD. I don't regret any of the SoulMedia BDs, although with exchange and shipping they were pretty expensive. No forced subs was a plus, as was the general sharpness and good grain structure of the releases. I wonder if we will ever see ALEXANDER THE GREAT or THE CONQUEROR in BD here in the States. I'll probably go for their just released LION IN WINTER, too.

#20 of 39 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,059 posts

Posted May 06 2012 - 08:39 AM

So, where does one purchase these Soulmedia Blus from? They have pages on Amazon UK, but say the discs are not available. Is there an English-friendly site for ordering?