Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

audyssey and htd center

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   graydraon2

graydraon2

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 01:33 AM

I am in the process of upgrading my speakers and just got a new center. It is the level 2 HTD. I came from an old HTiB sony speaker. My fronts are KLH 9250B tower speakers. My question is this, when i ran audyssey with the sony it had the sony set at -2.5db which is what the towers where running also, now with the HTD it has it set at +8db and the fronts to -4.5db. I am wondering if the towers should change like that and also if the center level should be that high when the only thing I change out was the center speaker. Sorry if this is kinda incoherent, just got off graveyard shift. Thanks for any thoughts on this

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,056 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 01 2012 - 02:07 AM

Audyssey is generally pretty accurate when it comes to setting the speaker levels. How does it sound?  Do you have access to an SPL meter to manually verify the levels yourself? Really, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it sounds "off" to you.  Audyssey is not the "end all be all" of setup.  It's great for providing a solid baseline, but in the end it's all about what sounds best to the listener.  If you feel it needs to be bumped up or down a dB or two, then by all means. I would be more concerned with having oddly-matched front speakers (though I would assume the Level 2 is a better match than a Sony HTiB speaker).  Do you have plans in the future to replace the KLH mains?

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   graydraon2

graydraon2

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 02:19 AM

I am planning on replacing the mains though it will be several months until I can get them. I have it adjusted now to a sound that sounds right to me. What had me really confused me is that what it had as default after running audyssey wasn't what it was running the different inputs at. When I first ran it and it gave me the defaults they where all fairly close, but when I ran it on any of the inputs they were way off from what the initial run of audyssey set them to.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,559 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 01 2012 - 03:58 AM

Placement of the mic and other things in the room can affect the settings. You could run it with the mic in the same spot and probably get different results, so it is hard to say. What is the sensitivity difference between the speakers? IIRC, the HTD L3s are pretty high sensitivity, so it seems odd that it would be upping it that much, unless the mains are also pretty sensitive.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   graydraon2

graydraon2

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 09:24 AM

The HTD has an 89db sensitivity and the KLH have a 90db sensitivity so they are pretty high sensitivity.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,193 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 01 2012 - 11:07 AM

The HTD has an 89db sensitivity and the KLH have a 90db sensitivity so they are pretty high sensitivity.

But are they the same impedance? 1w / 1m measurements are different between 4 ohm and 8 ohm (and anything in-between) speakers. Or are they 2.83v / 1 meter specifications? Also, when I run my MCACC setup, my mic is rubber banded to a camera tripod and exactly where the center of my head usually is. I stay behind the 2nd row so I don't add any undue reflections to the measurement.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,207 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted March 01 2012 - 11:13 AM

Which receiver do you have? On the older models, Audyssey simply balanced the volume so all speakers played the same. Only on the newer receivers does it shoot for reference.

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   graydraon2

graydraon2

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 11:14 AM

They are both 8 ohm speakers. As far as my location during measurement i am off to the side away from any of the speakers.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   graydraon2

graydraon2

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 01:29 AM

The receiver is a denon avr-1712. I think I may have found the culprit though. The tweeter is not working on the center speaker. Just got off the phone with the HTD rep and they are sending me a replacement for it. As soon as it comes in I will know if that was the cause of it.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,207 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted March 02 2012 - 12:05 PM

That's odd. Usually when you have a blown speaker (especially the tweeter), you will not get through the setup. It usually stops reporting an error with the bad speaker...

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   graydraon2

graydraon2

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 02:16 PM

The only thing that I can figure on that is that it is not seeing it as a "blown" speaker, but it is just not seeing it at all since it is more of a "dead" speaker. That may be why it is overcompensting it so much, thinking it is just a low quality speaker unable to do the full range it needs without that much power. Either way the tweeter is bad so it needed replacing. It will be here Wednesday so I will know then. When I say a dead vs a blown speaker I mean that it producing no sound at all. I pull the tweeter out and one of the legs that the wires are connected to is real loose so the speaker isnt producing anything, and hooked another speaker to the wire and got sound so the speaker itself is dead.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   graydraon2

graydraon2

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 02:19 PM

Also it would occasionally give me phase errors but everything was wired right so had kinda ignored those.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   graydraon2

graydraon2

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 03:26 PM

Got the new center channel in and reran audyssey and it appears that the dead tweeter was the culprit.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,056 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 08 2012 - 01:09 AM

That's good news.  Thanks for the update!

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,559 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 08 2012 - 04:23 AM

Small things can make a big difference.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users