Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A/V Receiver Recommendations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Don T

Don T

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted February 28 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hey All, It has been a long time since I have posted. I am in the market to upgrade my Receiver. I currently have a Yamaha Receiver and it is good, but doesn't have HDMI switching. I currently run the HDMI right to my screen, and use optical audio to the receiver. The challenge is that my receiver only has two optical audio inputs and I want to add a new media box. I have a very nice Sony 55" flat screen SVS Speaker 5.1 speakers Blu Ray Player HD Cable Box I would like to add Apple TV If possible, I would like to keep the cost around $500, but I could go as high as $1000. Any suggestions on where to begin my search? Thank you, Don

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   apn73

apn73

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted February 28 2012 - 07:15 AM

You have very good taste in speakers, SVSound makes really stuff. If I'm not mistaken SVS has some speakers that have 4 ohm impedence, and that may mean that you may need spend closer to the $1000 threshhold in order to reliably provide the additional amps to drive them. Barring that, there are plenty of good choices between $500 and $1000, Onkyo, Denon and Harman/Kardon are the first ones that come to mind and not necessarily in that order. A lot of people on this forum have Pioneer and Yamaha receivers and speak very highly of them, so if you liked your Yamaha, then maybe you should just buy a new one. I have a Harman/Kardon AVR 300, love it and it has treated me very well for almost 12 years now, H/K's are not as feature laden as some of the others and they regarded as being expensive for that reason, but the amplifier sections are very strong. I would have a very hard time not buying an Onkyo at this point, they seem to have the best overall package right now. My dream receiver is a B & K ($$$$), maybe someday. Best, Adam.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Don T

Don T

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted February 28 2012 - 07:22 AM

Hey Adam, Thank you for the quick reply. As a guitarist, I should have thought about the impedance of the speakers, I will have to check them out when I get home. I am very happy with the Yamaha, however, I rarely use the dual zones or all of the enhanced audio packages. It's a great unit, it was just built prior to the need for HDMI switching (My HDMI cables run straight to my monitor). I will have to check out the Onkyo's as well. It sure seems like the price of the Receivers have come down. I think I paid over $1,000 for my Yamaha RX-995 a few years ago. I am open to any other suggestions as well! Thank you, Don PS This is the receiver I currently have Yamaha

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 28 2012 - 09:49 AM

The Pioneer 1121 is a nice buy at $499 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882117401 Newegg also has the 1021 for $349 but I'm thinking you want something better than that. Also look for the Onkyo 709, Denon 2312, Yamaha 671/871, H/K 2650 and Marantz 5006. That Yamaha 995 was apretty good receiver in it's day so if you want the same "class" of receiver you may need to jump up a model or two (and in price). But new receivers offer quite a lot of features these days in the $500-$600 range.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   apn73

apn73

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted February 28 2012 - 11:37 AM

How could I forget about Marantz, they make really good stuff as well. NAD is another receiver that is worth a look. I don't have any experience with them nor do I know anyone that has, but they are a sister company to PSB speakers and if their receivers are as good as their speakers then they would definitely be worth a look.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Awais Soomro

Awais Soomro

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 28 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hey Every one..! i am Earn $1500 to $2000 Monthly through Blogging through Google Adsense programme Blogging is the Best Make money online Method it is an easy Method of online earning. There is also have Some Blogging tips to to earn Fast and Easily online. Thanks!

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted February 29 2012 - 04:40 AM

NAD is not the same company it was years ago and with all of the quality issues they've had recently, I'd stay far away from their receivers. Marantz is always a good choice, but they slimmed down the model lineup and raised their prices a bit. Still, excellent receivers if you can find them for a good price.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,367 posts

Posted March 03 2012 - 10:55 AM

I would look at Denon, Marantz and Onkyo and Rotel for recievers. The Onkyo's like to run really hot and there customer service can be a pain. IMHO the Yamaha's are not what they used to be, I have an older Yamaha and I am not sure I would get another Yamaha? My two top choices right now personally are Denon and Rotel. You might even try out a Pioneer Elite.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,367 posts

Posted March 03 2012 - 10:55 AM

Please delete, duplicate post ! Thanks
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   apn73

apn73

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted March 03 2012 - 11:43 AM

I would look at Denon, Marantz and Onkyo and Rotel for recievers. The Onkyo's like to run really hot and there customer service can be a pain. IMHO the Yamaha's are not what they used to be, I have an older Yamaha and I am not sure I would get another Yamaha? My two top choices right now personally are Denon and Rotel. You might even try out a Pioneer Elite.

Dave, Do you have experience with the Rotel receivers? What are your thoughts and impressions on them? It would seem that they are the high end version of H/K. Thanks, Adam.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,367 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 04:51 PM

H/K IMHO are not what they used to be and from what I remember the Rotel sound really good but the Denon's will have more of the current bells & whistles on them. Jon Michael Gomes has recent experience with the Rotels, I would ask him. Money is always hard to come by so I settled for a used Pioneer Elite SC-05 which is a nice step up in features from my old 12 year old Yamaha RX-V995! I have heard both Rotel and H/K and I prefer the sound of the Rotel hands down.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Don T

Don T

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted March 13 2012 - 02:15 PM

It sure seems like a lot of brands aren't what they used to be. Because I have a Sony TV and PS3, is there any advantage to going with a Sony Receiver? I have not heard of Rotel. Do any of the chain stores carry them so I can check them out? Thank you so much for all of your help. I forgot how great this forum really is. Don

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 13 2012 - 02:38 PM

Rotel is a British brand and is only sold through high-end audio/video stores. They compete with the likes of Anthem, Arcam, NAD, Audiocontrol, etc. Sony makes good tv's and dvd/bluray players but their receivers are very entry level. If you really want to go Sony then at least get the higher-end ES model. We all have out favorites. Currently, mine are Pioneer Elite, Denon and Marantz. But they all have their supporters and critics. You can save a lot of money buying a refurbished model from an authorized dealer like Ac4l.com. Look at the Marantz 6005 ($649) http://www.accessori...Receiver/1.html or 5006 ($539). Also consider the Denon 4310 ($849) http://www.accessori...tworking/1.html and Onkyo 709 ($479) http://www.accessori...Receiver/1.html all factory refurbs. Pioneer Elites are too expensive new (I buy mine used) but you can walk into your local BestBuy and ask them to make you a deal. They just might surprise you.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Don T

Don T

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 10:38 AM

The Onkyo's 609 and 709 look pretty solid. My entertainment center is open, just glass shelves, so I don't' think heat is a problem. Any opinions?

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 15 2012 - 12:02 PM

The 709 is a very popular receiver in it's price range and the 609 might be the best selling receiver model period. But the 609 uses Audyssey 2EQ vs. the 709's MultEQ. That alone is worth the extra cost. Heat used to be a HUGE issue with Onkyo's but I think they've cooled them down a bit this year. I had an Integra 8.9 a while back (similar to the Onkyo 876) and it got so hot I had to shut off the surge protector even in Standby mode. They've also had hdmi output problems, but probably a small number based on percentages. CS sorta sucks too, but again, depends on who you ask. If any of this worry's you then consider the Denon 2112/2312. My pick would be a refurbed Marantz 6005/5006.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Don T

Don T

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 07:24 AM

So I stopped by a local shop and looked at the Onkyo 609/709 as well as the Denon 2112/2312. There is a fairly large price differences between the bottom model and the top model of each line. I am not sure if my needs warrant the 709 or the 2312. I am trying to balance my needs, my budget, and future proofing as much as is reasonable. The pricing seems to be about as such: 609 - $499 (out of stock) 709 - $899 2112 - $649 2312 - $849 Any opinions?

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 21 2012 - 07:34 AM

Amazon has the 709 for under $600 if that helps any (and you're not interested in a refurb. unit)...

They are an authorized Onkyo dealer, too.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Don T

Don T

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted March 21 2012 - 08:35 AM

Jason, That sounds like the best deal of the bunch. I am afraid of refurbs as I have never had much luck with them. I am so appreciative of everyone's help! Don

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   bobby hamilton

bobby hamilton

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 05:01 AM

Rotel is a British brand and is only sold through high-end audio/video stores. They compete with the likes of Anthem, Arcam, NAD, Audiocontrol, etc. Sony makes good tv's and dvd/bluray players but their receivers are very entry level. If you really want to go Sony then at least get the higher-end ES model. We all have out favorites. Currently, mine are Pioneer Elite, Denon and Marantz. But they all have their supporters and critics. You can save a lot of money buying a refurbished model from an authorized dealer like Ac4l.com. Look at the Marantz 6005 ($649) http://www.accessori...Receiver/1.html or 5006 ($539). Also consider the Denon 4310 ($849) http://www.accessori...tworking/1.html and Onkyo 709 ($479) http://www.accessori...Receiver/1.html all factory refurbs. Pioneer Elites are too expensive new (I buy mine used) but you can walk into your local BestBuy and ask them to make you a deal. They just might surprise you.

This is what I did, and you are coming to the time of year where new 2012 products are going to be coming out. If you keep your eyes out, you should be able to get a solidy deal on a new receiver. I went from a Denon AVR887 (which I gave to my aunt and still is a decent mid to lower level receiver) to the Elite and I have been nothing but thrilled. http://www.pioneerel...eceivers/VSX-52 I'm guessing the price of this will come down soon, and it is one that Best Buy's with Magnolia should carry. Also, if 3D and that sort isn't as important, you can still find some great deals on new in box Pioneer Elite that are 2010 models. Just depends on what you want. My experience lately with Denon seems to be that the quality isn't as good. Not sure if anyone else has experienced that either.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   bobby hamilton

bobby hamilton

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 05:03 AM

I just made a post and it disappeared...mods?