• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted February 25 2012 - 11:10 AM

Working on my man cave and trying to decide on the axiom 7.1 system or the SVS 7.1 system ? Here is what SVS beleives will work for the size room I have . http://www.svsound.c...5&category_id=3 I would also be adding two additional SSS-02 speakers http://www.svsound.c...&category_id=11 SVS - approx $ 1600 delivered Here is what Axiom beleives would work for the size room I have . I already have a large SVS subwoofer , so I wouldnt need the axiom . http://www.axiomaudi...=8&A7=C&A8=1728 Would like some opinions if possible

#2 of 21 apn73

apn73

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted March 03 2012 - 10:24 AM

Let me first say that I have no direct experience with either, but I have heard that both are awesome products with great support. If I am not mistaken the Axioms are a bit brighter than the SVSounds. I am pretty sure that both manufacturers have owners that are willing to demo the speakers in their homes and you can enter in your zip code and see who the closest demos are to you. You could also buy two sets of front channels, one from each manufacturer and do your own in house demo, then send your least favorite back. Best, Adam.

#3 of 21 gene c

gene c

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 03 2012 - 10:53 AM

I would say the same as Adam. Axiom is thought to be just a bit on the brighter side than SVS. I did listen to the original SVS speakers several years ago and really like them. I've always been entrigued with Axiom speakers but haven't had the pleasure yet. The center channel with a tweeter on each side looks, shall I say, very interesting. http://www.axiomaudio.com/vp150.html Maybe add Aperion to the list if you favor the softer, warmer sound? Free return shipping. You could also buy two sets of front channels, one from each manufacturer and do your own in house demo, then send your least favorite back. That's what I did a few years ago with 3 sets of bookshelf speakers (I wanted to use bookshelves as surrounds anyway).
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 21 David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted March 05 2012 - 12:04 PM

I wouldn't call Axiom overly bright. I dislike bright speakers like Klipsch but I love my Axioms. Check on the Axiom forum for someone to give you a demo.

#5 of 21 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the assistance so far guyz !! I see those cheaper Fluance speakers are getting some really good reviews from professional audio enthuisists as well . Considering they offer lifetime warranty and free shipping on their products ,I may just take the plunge . Only issue with Fluance , you cant pick and choose pieces from different systems , you gotta buy what they offer in the color they offer . You know , for a company that has been around for approx 10 years , i figured they would have started jacking their prices up by now . At present , I have 2 large pioneers up front and the remaining 5 speakers are round in ceiling speakers and the SVS 12 inch sub . I guess any improvement for a center channel would be great at this point . I am using a newer 700 watt Yamaha receiver but its not bi -amp able . I may have to upgrade the receiver as well . All my neighbours have Nuance speakers and say there is nothing better . I am fairly certain they didnt read much at the forums before making a Nuance purchase .A friend I know spent close to $13000 when the Nuance guys drove up here . I had a good look at the Axiom web site . I am going to read more on the bi-pole feature they offer with their Qs4 and Qs8 speakers . I am not sure if I actually need those yet or not . The Aperion system was a little pricey but intriguing to say the least . .

#6 of 21 David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 11:52 AM

FWIW, I upgraded from Fluance to Axiom (M60's VP150, and QS8's). They don't even compare. IMO, Axiom is a 1000 times better (@ 6 times the cost). I would not waste time bi-amping. It is pointless. I can't imagine the soundstage is very good with an in-ceiling center. Maybe the best upgrade would be a proper center to match your Pioneers (you will need to ask Pioneer which one to get). The QS4's and 8's are unique. I like them alot - the really seem to fill the sound stage in the side and back while still allowing for pinpoint sound when called upon. I'm not saying they are better (or worse) than brand x, just different. They work well in my room.

#7 of 21 gene c

gene c

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 06 2012 - 12:08 PM

Don't bother bi-amping with a receiver. No real benefit. Fluance is pretty good for the price (at least they were a few years ago when heard them at a friends house) but they are not in the same league as SVS, Axiom or Intimus among others. A 7.0 Intimus system from Aperion with smaller towers for fronts comes to about the same as the SVS 7.0 system ($1450 shipped). The best Intimus 7.0 would be $1980. "All my neighbours have Nuance speakers and say there is nothing better . I am fairly certain they didnt read much at the forums before making a Nuance purchase .A friend I know spent close to $13000 when the Nuance guys drove up here ." Don't even consider anything from Nuance, at any price. $13000? Where were your friends when I was selling Yugo's* for a living! * I never actually sold Yugo's, but I thought it was a fitting analogy.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

#8 of 21 gene c

gene c

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 06 2012 - 12:25 PM

I should also mention the Polk Audio store on ebay is selling refurbished Polk LSi's at a real good price right now with free shipping. LSI15's for $899/pr shipped, LSi9's for $574/pr shipped, LSi7's $450/pr shipped and the center is $374 shipped. Stop by a Fry's near you for a listen. They usually have the 9's and 7's on the shelf.

#9 of 21 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 01:07 PM

I guess one of the biggest issues I have is living where I am presently situated . To be honest I am relying on reviews and opinions from guys like you . I live sooo far up North in Canada the chances of being able to preview and listen to some of these systems is tough . I understand you should never purchase a speaker system before at the very least being able to listen to it . I think I am going to veer towards the Axiom system at this point given they offer the trial . My pioneers are 25 years old . Not saying they no longer sound good but they sure take up a lot of room . Yes , an in ceiling speaker for center channel doesnt work well lol . They dont work well for surrounds or rears either . Gonna have a peek at the Polks as well . I usually research for a month before I make a decision and I am on week 3 . Thanks for all the help guys !!!

#10 of 21 Robert_J

Robert_J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 06 2012 - 11:06 PM

I guess one of the biggest issues I have is living where I am presently situated .

That's why there forum owners set up a Location field in your profile. We can tailor our answers based on location. Knowing you are in Canada, I don't think that Gene would have suggested stopping by Fry's.

#11 of 21 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 12:03 AM

I don't think Axiom is a bad place to start. As you mentioned they have a good return policy. Plus, they're very good at a resonable price. I have M22/M100s and M3s (different systems) and enjoy them both. I'll add that I also don't think they're "bright". What they are is very accurate and neutral. I think some people hear that as bright if they've become used to a heavier sound. I'll add that I think they sound better with more complex and better recorded music. Or as it's often put on the Axiom board, they reveal the limitations of the source material. For example, some rock and even some blues sound thin on the Axioms in "pure" mode, but sound great when I insert a sound processing program to liven it up. But other forms of music - classical, big band, folk - sound unbelieveable as recorded. One comment on your original comparison, you seemed to be comparing a bookshelf SVS to a tower Axiom system. The M22 system might be a better comparison to the SVS system you had listed. (Although I understand the M60s are very nice, if I had the money and the the room for them I'd go that route too.)

#12 of 21 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 10:22 AM

One comment on your original comparison, you seemed to be comparing a bookshelf SVS to a tower Axiom system. The M22 system might be a better comparison to the SVS system you had listed. (Although I understand the M60s are very nice, if I had the money and the the room for them I'd go that route too.) The SVS system and the axiom systems I highlighted in the provided links were recomended using the wizards that SVS and Axiom use to build a system when you input the size of the room . Sorry about not filling out the member profile . I was trying to update it a few weeks back but never noticed the drop down menu at the top of the page ( DUH ) lol . Going over to Axiom to have a look at the M22 system . Once again . Thanks for the help .:)

#13 of 21 John Garcia

John Garcia

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 11,490 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 07 2012 - 10:56 AM

I feel Axiom are neutral also, but brighter than something like the Ascend CBM-XXSEs, though not by much. The SVSs on the other hand, are pretty mellow. Lower sensitivity and softer top ends (at least on the first series). Both are very good manufacturers, so it kind of comes down to the type of sound you prefer. I know with Axiom you can demo a pair and return them, and you used to be able to do that with SVS also (pretty sure you still can), so if you are really concerned over it, I'd try one pair of each to find out for certain. Oh, and while you are at it, you might as well check out the Ascends also :) I'd take an Ascend CMT340SE system over an Axiom M22 system.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#14 of 21 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted March 30 2012 - 02:13 AM

Well guys , I took the Axiom plunge removing the sub they offer . Cant wait to set the system up .I have 30 days to trial the system Will write a little review so others can read . This is a huge step up for me as in ceiling speakers just didnt create much of a sound stage . Thanks for your assistance and opinions 1 Remove VP160 Color: Black Oak $570.00 CAD $570.00 CAD 1 Remove Pair Millennia M60 Towers Color: Black Oak $1,080.00 CAD $1,080.00 CAD 1 Remove Pair QS8 Surrounds Color: Black Oak $582.00 CAD $582.00 CAD 1 Remove Pair QS8 Surrounds Color: Black Oak $582.00 CAD $582.00 CAD

#15 of 21 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted March 30 2012 - 01:22 PM

I think you'll love them, congratulations! I'm interested in what you think, so definitely write that mini review. By the way, what are you using for a receiver/amp? And do you have, or did you get, any sub at all; or just running with the towers? The Axiom subs do seem overpriced compared to the competition, although I've never heard one to compare.

#16 of 21 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 02:18 AM

By the way, what are you using for a receiver/amp? I have a cheap little yamaha 5063 receiver with hdmi 1.4 using for 3d movies and such with my projector . The little yammy actually packs some power for movies when watching with 7.1 and music in 7.1 sounds very good as well . My back up receiver is a vintage Onkyo Tx sv828THX for music only . this thing is a beast but doesnt have the HDMI ability or the video upscaling that I need for movies . I sure miss the power and I can see an update to a better receiver in the future :confused: I have an SVS 12 sub I may update to a couple SVS cylinder subs once the dedicated theatre room is built

#17 of 21 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 03:57 AM

I was going to say make sure you have at least a little power, but that Yamaha should do fine. I went from an 80wpc Onkyo to a 50wpc Marantz (for HDMi and networking) and I didn't think the system sounded as good. It may not have been the power, but that was my guess. I switched again to an 80wpc Yamaha and all is well again. The SVSs get great user reviews and should do nicely. Did I mention I'm jealous?!

#18 of 21 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 06:31 AM

Wifey thinks i am crazy !! Building the speaker system before the room is built . Hey you need to listen to something while your building walls and soundproofing :cool: I am using the Dow blue styrafoam R-15 in the walls and ceiling . Glad im working 7 days on and 7 days off cuz this is gonna take up some time and cash . Worst part .... gotta kick the daughter outta the basement bedroom to start the build . got two empty rooms upstairs for her to decide on .

#19 of 21 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 10:19 PM

Wifey thinks i am crazy !!

Yeah, we're all used to that by now.

#20 of 21 David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted April 02 2012 - 12:23 PM

Nice. I think you will be happy. :banana: On a side note, one of my M60's recently developed a problem where the tweeter cuts in and out. After some testing and swapping tweeters, I decided to call Axiom. I spoke with Brent and he had me check the terminal straps. After checking them and doing more testing, I called back and Brent is sending me a return form tomorrow when he gets back in the office. This is the first time I contacted Axiom since I purchased them in early 2008. So far I'm impressed.... Did I mention Axiom speakers have a 5 year warranty? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users