Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

5.1 audio through hdmi windows 7

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   essence

essence

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 25 2012 - 06:43 AM

hi! i hooked up my pc to my soundbar with an hdmi cable. (radeon 5850 to sony ht-ct150) after configuring it to work with movies (i get the dolbydts icon when playing mkv files) i tried to play some games but only got the lpcm icon. what should i do?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   TonyV

TonyV

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 01 2012 - 02:00 AM

Can you tell me how you set this up? Was it more than just plugging the HDMI cable in? Can you give me any details within Windows that you had to do? Much appreciated. --Tony

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,613 posts

Posted June 03 2012 - 07:03 PM

I'm far from an expert, but from my very limited experience (ie one game) I found I had to use analog cables in order to get 5.1. I was trying to use an optical cable but had the same issue you are having. HDMI is a different cable, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same problem.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Audioseduction

Audioseduction

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 03:45 PM

Just watch movies. :D

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,021 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 09 2012 - 04:03 PM

Yeah, we can help.. but we do need to know how you're connected, and your settings in your Windows Speaker system..

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 10:43 AM

Only bluray and dvd audio are encoded in dts or dolby formats. Game audio usually are wav,mp3,ogg files(ie not dolby/dts). Your system is correctly showing lpcm since it has no means to encode the game audio into either dts or dolby. Hdmi however is capable of carrying a 5.1 lpcm(uncompressed/raw) audio stream, which works for 5.1 gaming. Optical cables only have enough bandwith to carry a 2.1 lpcm stream. Lastly, what sound bar are you using? Every soundbar that i have ever seen are only 2.1 sound system. Edit: sorry, i read your post too fast. Your ht-c150 is only a 3.1 system(left, center, right, and sub). Your system correctly displays lpcm, but you will still not get 5.1 sound as you do not have the rear speaker channels.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   JordanM

JordanM

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 10:15 AM

The best way to get either 5.1 or 7.1 from HDMI in Windows is to get the on-sale program Splash Pro EX as your player.  It plays back DTS, DD, Master and TrueHD all correctly, without any codecs installed or set-up!