What's new

2012 Academy Awards (Oscar) Prediction thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Academy Awards are right around the corner this Sunday night (hosted by Billy Crystal). If you're up for guessing the Oscars, please guess away (might as well try guessing all of the categories up for grabs Sunday night). There are some wide-open races this year, I have no idea how it will go, so I have a feeling my guesses will be far off the mark this time around.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Best Picture - The Artist

Best Director - The Artist

Best Original Screenplay - The Artist

Best Adapted Screenplay - The Descendants

Best Actor - Jean Dujardin (The Artist)

Best Actress - Viola Davis (The Help)

Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Plummer (Beginners)

Best Supporting Actress - Octavia Spencer (The Help)

Best Foreign Film - A Separation

Best Song - The Muppets

Several of the craft-oriented Oscars (Cinematography, Art Direction, Sound, VFX) are likely to go to Hugo.

Zerkalo

Auditioning
Real Name
Nikola Kasalica
Spot on choices, probably. However, I still hope that the Oscar for Cinematography would go to Lubezki.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My guesses: BEST PICTURE The Artist Thomas Langmann, Producer Actor In A Leading Role Jean Dujardin The Artist Actor In A Supporting Role Christopher Plummer Beginners Actress In A Leading Role Viola Davis The Help Actress In A Supporting Role Octavia Spencer The Help Animated Feature Film Rango Gore Verbinski Art Direction Hugo Production Design: Dante ferretti Set Decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo Cinematography The Tree of Life Emmanuel Lubezki Costume Design Hugo Sandy Powell Directing The Artist Michel Hazanavicius Documentary Feature Hell And Back Again Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner Documentary Short Subject The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of The Civil Rights Movement Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin Film Editing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall Foreign Language Film Footnote Israel Makeup Albert Nobbs Music (Original Score) Hugo Howard Shore Music (Original Song) Man or Muppet The Muppets Music and Lyric by Bret McKenzie Short Film (Animated) The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg Short Film (Live Action) Time Freak Andrew Bowler and Gigi Causey Sound Editing Transformers: Dark of the Moon Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl Sound Mixing Transformers: DarK of The Moon Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Peter J. Devlin Visual Effects Hugo Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning Writing (Adapted Screenplay) Hugo Screenplay by John Logan Writing (Original Screenplay) The Artist Written by Michel Hazanavicius

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
[COLOR=aa8f37]Actor in a Supporting Role[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Christopher Plummer, Beginners Will Win: Christopher Plummer, Beginners[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Animated Feature Film[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Haven't seen any of the nominees Will Win: Rango, Gore Verbinski[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Music (Original Song)[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: "Man or Muppet" from The Muppets, Music and Lyrics by Bret McKenzie Will Win: Rango, Gore Verbinski[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Writing (Original Screenplay)[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: J.C. Chandor, Margin Call Will Win: Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Short Film (Animated)[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Haven't seen any of the nominees Will Win: A Morning Stroll, Grant Orchard and Sue Goffe[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Documentary Short Subject[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Haven't seen any of the nominees Will Win: God Is the Bigger Elvis, Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Short Film (Live Action)[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Haven't seen any of the nominees Will Win: Pentecost, Peter McDonald and Eimear O’Kane[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Makeup[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight and Lisa Tomblin, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Will Win: Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland, The Iron Lady[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Writing (Adapted Screenplay)[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash, The Descendants Will Win: Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, Moneyball[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Actress in a Supporting Role[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids Will Win: Octavia Spencer, The Help[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Art Direction[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Dante Ferretti (Production Design), Francesca Lo Schiavo (Set Decoration), Hugo Will Win: Laurence Bennett (Production Design), Robert Gould (Set Decoration), The Artist[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Costume Design[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Mark Bridges, The Artist Will Win: Mark Bridges, The Artist[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Sound Editing[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty, Hugo Will Win: Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty, Hugo[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Sound Mixing[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Tom Fleischman and John Midgley, Hugo Will Win: Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson and Stuart Wilson, War Horse[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Cinematography[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Robert Richardson, Hugo Will Win: Emmanuel Lubezki, The Tree of Life[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Music (Original Score)[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Howard Shore, Hugo Will Win: Ludovic Bource, The Artist[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Visual Effects[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Will Win: Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett, Rise of the Planet of the Apes[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Documentary Feature[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Haven't seen any of the nominees Will Win: Hell and Back Again, Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Film Editing[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Kevin Tent, The Descendants Will Win: Anne-Sophie Bion and Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Foreign Language Film[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Haven't seen any of the nominees Will Win: A Separation, Iran[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Actor in a Leading Role[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: George Clooney, The Descendants Will Win: Jean Dujardin, The Artist[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Actress in a Leading Role[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Will Win: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Directing[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Martin Scorsese, Hugo Will Win: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist[/color] [COLOR=aa8f37]Best Picture[/COLOR] [color=231f20]Should Win: Hugo, Graham King and Martin Scorsese Will Win: The Artist, Thomas Langmann Dark Horse: The Help, Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan[/color]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
OK here goes............ Best Picture......The Artist Best Director...Michel Hazanavicius Best Actor........Jean Dujardin Best Actress...Viloa Davis Best Supporting Actor...Christopher Plummer Best Supporting Actress...Octavia Spencer Original Screenplay....Midnight In Paris Adapted Screenplay...The Descendants Foreign Film...A Separation Animated Film....Rango Editing....The Artist Cinematography....The Tree Of Life Art Direction.....Hugo Costume Design....The Artist Makeup....Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Paert 2 Original Score...The Artist Original Song..The Muppets Animated Short Film...The Fantastic Flying Books Of Mr. Morris Lessmore Visual Effects....Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes Sound Mixing...Hugo Sound Editing....Hugo Documentary Feature....Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory Documentary Short...Saving Face Live Action Short...The Shore Really tough year...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
My picks:

Best Picture

The Artist

Actor In A Leading Role

Jean Dujardin - The Artist

Actor In A Supporting Role

Christopher Plummer - Beginners

Actress In A Leading Role

Viola Davis - The Help

Actress In A Supporting Role

Octavia Spencer - The Help

Animated Feature Film

Rango

Art Direction

Hugo

Cinematography

Robert Richardson - Hugo

Costume Design

Sandy Powell - Hugo

Directing

Michel Hazanavicius - The Artist

Documentary Feature

Hell & Back Again

Documentary Short Subject

The Tsunami And The Cherry Blossom

Film Editing

Thelma Schoonmaker - Hugo

Foreign Language Film

Iran - A Separation

Makeup

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt. 2

Music (Original Score)

Ludovic Bource - The Artist

Music (Original Song)

"Man or Muppet" The Muppets

Short Film (Animated)

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

Short Film (Live Action)

The Shore

Sound Editing

Hugo

Sound Mixing

Hugo

Visual Effects

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon & Jim Rash - The Descendants

Writing (Original Screenplay)

Woody Allen - Midnight In Paris

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
18 right out of 24. Not too bad I guess. Good show. I thought Billy was great.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I was off on my overall picks, in that I had no idea what would get the short subjects and I got surprised by Dragon Tattoo getting the Editing Oscar.

Also surprised to see Woody Allen pick up screenplay over The Artist, but it's likely the Academy voters felt the Best Picture & Director nods were enough in that direction.

Also surprised to see Meryl Streep get Best Actress over Viola Davis. Come to think of it, Streep was equally surprised.

Other than that, the awards fell as predicted. The Artist got the biggest awards, including sweeping three of the top categories. The acting awards ran the gamut, including Christopher Plummer and Octavia Spencer. Hugo appropriately picked up several behind-the-camera awards for the cinematography, VFX, Art Direction and Sound.

Billy Crystal proved once again that he's a great host for the Oscars. The show itself ran a little long, despite many of the thank yous being rushed, particularly Octavia Spencer. Could have done without the mock test screening of Wizard of Oz.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I barely broke even this year. Yikes! I was actually very surprised by Streep's win because I called it Oscar bait when I review "The Iron Lady", and she still won. Felt bad for Viola Davis.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Biggest upset for me was Gary Oldman losing Best Actor.

I had no clue what was going on in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy,

but it was clear that Oldman was giving the performance of
his career.

Always felt Oldman is the greatest actor we currently have.

Otherwise, a really good Oscar show. Moved quite quickly,

and Billy Crystal did an admiral job (though not his best show).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't pay that much attention but wasn't Meryl Streep the favorite? I just said it another thread but I told my friend what to choose in their office's Oscar pool and I got everything right (it was just the major categories) but the Best Actress. I thought I was going for the semi-upset by picking Viola Davis. My thinking was that the voters would assume that everyone else would vote for Streep so they'd vote for Davis and that would end up giving Davis the win.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I don't think anyone was picking Streep. I was pretty upset with her win but to be honest I didn't think Davis deserved it either. IMO, Spencer was the weakest nomination and I'd pick a few other women over her that weren't even nominated. The win is even more silly once Davis didn't win and especially since she should have been in the Supporting bracket. It'll be interesting to see what happens with THE ARTIST going forward. I keep hearing people claim that silent movies are going to make a comeback but I really don't see that happening nor should it. I really hope Hollywood doesn't try to cash-in on this but I don't think they will.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
I don't think anyone was picking Streep. I was pretty upset with her win but to be honest I didn't think Davis deserved it either.
Guess I should have researched before giving out my picks to my friend. My guesses are usually so far off that I'm still fairly impressed that I was able to guess 7 of 8 categories. As a side note, I'm guessing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo clip that they used for Rooney Mara was the first time that a revenge scene involving anal rape has been used for the Oscar telecast.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Travis, I don't remember if Ned Beatty had a revenge scene in Deliverance, but he didn't get nominated for the performance either.

I'd also say that the Cirque du Soleil routine and the stuff with the usherettes was unnecessary. Again, you could skip that whole thing and have had more time for Octavia Spencer not to have been drummed off the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks