Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Alfred Hitchcock films available on blu-ray

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#1 of 245 mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 447 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted February 24 2012 - 02:49 AM

U.S. Releases unless noted. In chronological order... 1927 - The Lodger - Network - U.K. (Region B locked) 1934 - The Man Who Knew Too Much - Criterion 1935 - The 39 Steps - Criterion 1938 - The Lady Vanishes - Criterion 1940 - Rebecca - MGM 1942 - Saboteur - Universal 1943 - Shadow of a Doubt - Universal 1944 - Lifeboat - Masters of Cinema - U.K. (Region B locked) + German release from Concorde (Region Free) 1945 - Spellbound - MGM 1946 - Notorious - MGM 1948 - Rope - Universal 1951 - Strangers on a Train - Warner 1953 - Dial M For Murder - Warner 1954 - Rear Window - Universal 1955 - To Catch a Thief - Paramount 1955 - The Trouble With Harry - Universal 1956 - The Man Who Knew Too Much - Universal 1958 - Vertigo - Universal 1959 - North By Northwest - Warner 1960 - Psycho - Universal 1963 - The Birds - Universal 1964 - Marnie - Universal 1966 - Torn Curtain - Universal 1969 - Topaz - Universal 1972 - Frenzy - Universal 1976 - Family Plot - Universal

#2 of 245 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 24 2012 - 02:58 AM

I own these: 1938 - The Lady Vanishes - Criterion 1940 - Rebecca - MGM 1945 - Spellbound - MGM 1946 - Notorious - MGM 1959 - North By Northwest - Warner 1960 - Psycho - Universal and I will buy these when available: 1955 - To Catch a Thief - Paramount (coming March 2012) 1963 - The Birds - Universal (coming Fall 2012) I will buy every Hitchcock film that comes out on Blu-ray in the USA or on region-free Blu-ray over there.

#3 of 245 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,434 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 24 2012 - 03:32 AM

I've got all the Region A releases except The Lady Vanishes (which I'll pick up at some point). I'll get the rest of the titles as they come out.

#4 of 245 rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted February 24 2012 - 03:38 AM

I've got everything that's been released that will play with a region A player, and the ones that have a release date I've gotten pre-ordered.  I'm still hoping that Lifeboat might get lucky and not be region B locked, but not counting on it, so am waiting until it's confirmed it's region B.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#5 of 245 Eerik

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 24 2012 - 04:38 AM

I've got everything that's been released that will play with a region A player, and the ones that have a release date I've gotten pre-ordered.  I'm still hoping that Lifeboat might get lucky and not be region B locked, but not counting on it, so am waiting until it's confirmed it's region B.

Lifeboat has been already confirmed region B locked by Eureka/Masters of Cinema themselves.

#6 of 245 rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted February 24 2012 - 05:30 AM

Thanks I hadn't seen that, bummer.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#7 of 245 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,051 posts

Posted February 24 2012 - 11:04 AM

This is terrific to see so many coming. I own everything on blu that's avaiable for region A except The Lady Vanishes, missed that one. Looking forward to and anxiously awaiting Vertigo. But also want to see Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, and the remaining titles!

#8 of 245 mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 447 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted February 24 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'll update the list as new things are listed. Dial M For Murder is rumored for 3D (and 2D) later this year but next year will be 60th anniversary so...maybe then. Vertigo and Rear Window will hopefully come out this year as part of Universal's 100 Anniversary releases. MGM might release Lifeboat in the U.S. as it was part of their premiere DVD box set, and they did release the 3 BD recent titles. Criterion is always a possibility for more Hitchcock, too.

#9 of 245 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,051 posts

Posted February 24 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Michael. Look forward to updates! :)

#10 of 245 mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 447 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted April 22 2012 - 04:00 PM

List updated. Strangers on a Train was listed and then removed in Germany. :confused:

#11 of 245 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted April 22 2012 - 04:22 PM

I just picked up The Lady Vanishes (Amazon had it for 48% off, which with the tax break is basically the same as the B&N Criterion 50% sale). Also have Notorious, Rebecca, and North By Northwest. Not a big fan of To Catch A Thief or Spellbound, and Psycho wouldn't get much replay. Already pre-ordered The 39 Steps. I'm more a fan of his earlier stuff - would love to see Foreign Correspondent or Young And Innocent or Shadow Of A Doubt (my absolute favorite Hitch cameo). Rear Window probably. I don't like Vertigo, so that is definitely a pass for me. David

#12 of 245 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 22 2012 - 04:52 PM

I have: Rebecca, North By Northwest, Psycho (U.S. and U.K. releases),  and To Catch a Thief.

#13 of 245 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 23 2012 - 01:45 AM

I dont have the UK versions but have all the USA blu ray versions except for Rebecca & To Catch A Theif. I am getting the 39 Steps, and the ones coming out from Universal later this year. I hope Lifeboat gets a US release, and would like to see on Blu - Young & Innocent, Sabotage & both versions of the Man Who Knew Too Much as well I kept Criterions Notorious and Spellbound DVDs due to different supplements. I might get Dial M for Murder

#14 of 245 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,640 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 23 2012 - 03:48 AM

Wasn't there some whispering about possibly Criterion offering Foreign Correspondent at some point in the future?

#15 of 245 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

Wasn't there some whispering about possibly Criterion offering Foreign Correspondent at some point in the future?

Yeah, apparently they acquired it out of the same deal with the Caidin Family that got them Stagecoach

#16 of 245 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 23 2012 - 01:07 PM

That would be cool - Foreign Correspondent is a FANTASTIC film, maybe they will slowly release all the titles in that Box set that had 9 Warner Hitchcock titles ( I Confess, Th Wrong Man, Strangers on a Train etc )

#17 of 245 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 02:07 PM

Foreign Correspondent is among the titles Criterion offers on Hulu.... seems like a blu-ray release is certainly possible. http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#18 of 245 mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 447 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted April 25 2012 - 03:31 AM

I would love to see Criterion release this great film...which was nominated along with Rebecca (which won) for best picture. Not bad for the first 2 films he made in America! There is a listing on Amazon Germany for The Alfred Hitchcock Blu-ray Collection from Warners Bros. This would likely include Dial M For Murder, The Wrong Man, Strangers on a Train, Stage Fright, I Confess and maybe Suspicion. It would make sense that they would release a blu-ray box set similar to the DVD set they own the rights to. I still think Dial M will be a single Digibook release, as well.

#19 of 245 mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 447 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted April 25 2012 - 07:44 AM

Added The Lodger. BFI's FB page answered my question about the newly restored 9 silent Hitchcock's, and they responded to me about any future blu-ray releases with this: Thanks for your question. We don't hold the rights to these titles, but are aware that Network will be releasing The Lodger in September. This company released British TV like The Prisoner and The Persuaders on blu-ray, so, let's hope.

#20 of 245 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,066 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 25 2012 - 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Craig Beam 

Foreign Correspondent is among the titles Criterion offers on Hulu.... seems like a blu-ray release is certainly possible.
http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

It's inevitable. The question is *when*. It could be this year, or could be next year. Or 2014. They just need to schedule it among the other several dozen titles they have in the pipeline.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Universal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users