Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Report: Canon 5D Mark III/X "Confirmed" at 22MP and $3500, Announcement February 28th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#21 of 82 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 23 2012 - 03:19 AM

Engadget is pretty smitten.... http://www.engadget....ark-iii-review/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#22 of 82 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 06:05 AM

In stock with kit lens, go go go: http://www.bhphotovi...D_Mark_III.html

#23 of 82 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 09:52 AM

Well I thought about buying the Mark III but I decided to save $1200 and buy the Mark II instead. I have had it for a week fun camera to shoot with I think I will be very happy.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#24 of 82 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,611 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 02:30 PM

Well I thought about buying the Mark III but I decided to save $1200 and buy the Mark II instead. I have had it for a week fun camera to shoot with I think I will be very happy.

It is a FANTASTIC camera. If you are shooting stills, I don't think you'll be disappointed and it should serve you well for a long time.

#25 of 82 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,655 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 27 2012 - 01:00 AM

David, How do you like the auto focus system on the 5D2? That is the biggest complaint I see regarding that model. Is there another Canon model that you can compare the AF to with regards to performance? After upgrading to the 7D and its more advanced AF system, that is the only thing that concerns me about buying a 5D2.

#26 of 82 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,611 posts

Posted March 27 2012 - 05:32 AM

The system is not as good as the 7D. I own them both, but with the types of subjects I shoot with the 5DmkII it is not an issue for me. I primarily use the 5DmkII for still subjects like landscapes, portraits, etc.

#27 of 82 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,887 posts

Posted March 27 2012 - 05:35 AM

I'm not David, but you'd probably had some wrestling to do with its simpler AF system (9 points, and only the center point is reliably accurate most of the time). But then once you see what you get from its sensor, the AF stuff recedes into the background, and you simply learn how to work around its AF characteristics and move towards taking nice looking photos with the camera. But if I had $7k doing nothing, I'd be tempted to pick up 2 5DM3s, but I'm happy with the pair of 5DM2s I now use at conventions.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#28 of 82 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts

Posted March 27 2012 - 06:35 AM

I imagine you will be very happy with it. I could never go back to that autofocus system but if you are satisfied with it you will love love love the rest of the camera! There is no denying that it is capable of producing superior images. Good luck with it, shoot straight and share your best images please! Sam

#29 of 82 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,655 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 27 2012 - 06:36 AM

The system is not as good as the 7D. I own them both, but with the types of subjects I shoot with the 5DmkII it is not an issue for me. I primarily use the 5DmkII for still subjects like landscapes, portraits, etc.

That is what I was originally thinking, too -- that I would mainly use the 5D for landscapes and keep the 7D for wildlife and action. However, there are times when a 5D with the AF performance of my 7D and a higher frames per second rate would be nice, such as when I shoot ice hockey or go to the zoo. If I sold my 7D it would make up for the cost difference between the 5D2 and 5D3. However, I really wanted to get to a two body system for some of our traveling, where I could have one camera for landscapes and another for wildlife, avoiding the need to switch lenses. The 7D's crop sensor is useful for wildlife photography, too. Decisions, decisions.

#30 of 82 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 27 2012 - 01:07 PM

I mostly shoot stills, landscapes, etc given I'm also an adv beginner I think it will be a great camera for awhile. I understand the 7D is much better at sports and other fast action. It is a huge upgrade from the Rebel T1i I was using and now my daughter has a good DSLR to go shoot pictures together. So far I love the camera and want to spend even more on lens, Flash, etc. :)

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#31 of 82 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,611 posts

Posted March 27 2012 - 02:49 PM

That is what I was originally thinking, too -- that I would mainly use the 5D for landscapes and keep the 7D for wildlife and action. However, there are times when a 5D with the AF performance of my 7D and a higher frames per second rate would be nice, such as when I shoot ice hockey or go to the zoo. If I sold my 7D it would make up for the cost difference between the 5D2 and 5D3. However, I really wanted to get to a two body system for some of our traveling, where I could have one camera for landscapes and another for wildlife, avoiding the need to switch lenses. The 7D's crop sensor is useful for wildlife photography, too. Decisions, decisions.

If i was shooting ice hockey and wanted the higher resolution or the look of a larger sensor then I'd be looking at a 1-series body...if I was doing it professionally. Otherwise I'd live with the compromise. How does your 7D do for hockey?

#32 of 82 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,655 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 28 2012 - 12:09 AM

If i was shooting ice hockey and wanted the higher resolution or the look of a larger sensor then I'd be looking at a 1-series body...if I was doing it professionally. Otherwise I'd live with the compromise. How does your 7D do for hockey?

I am not doing it professionally. We have season tickets to the local Ontario Hockey League affiliate Plymouth Whalers, and I will bring my camera along occasionally to shoot for fun. The 7D does a decent job, but I need to be shooting at ISO 6400 with the lens I'm using -- a 70-200mm f/4 IS. So, better high ISO performance would be nice, but with a little NR applied when processing the raw files the 7D does okay. And, yes, I know a f/2.8 zoom would work better, but once again this is just for fun, and the f/4 version of the 70-200 works very well for all my more serious shooting. You can see some examples at the end of my "It's a Pink Whale" thread. I've become spoiled by the auto focus performance of the 7D, which is why the 5D3 is so desirable. It's just the price that is making it tough to swallow, as I am just an amateur. I did see a pro using a 5D2 to shoot at one of the exhibition games at a different rink a couple of seasons ago. He was busy, though, so I couldn't talk with him and ask how well the AF worked for the sport. Since the 5D2 kit price hasn't dropped yet with the release of the 5D3, I am waiting anyway. In this case, patience is definitely a virtue. :)

#33 of 82 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 02:36 AM

The 5D MarkII Kit is under 3k now which is why I picked it up.

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

I am not doing it professionally. We have season tickets to the local Ontario Hockey League affiliate Plymouth Whalers, and I will bring my camera along occasionally to shoot for fun. The 7D does a decent job, but I need to be shooting at ISO 6400 with the lens I'm using -- a 70-200mm f/4 IS. So, better high ISO performance would be nice, but with a little NR applied when processing the raw files the 7D does okay. And, yes, I know a f/2.8 zoom would work better, but once again this is just for fun, and the f/4 version of the 70-200 works very well for all my more serious shooting. You can see some examples at the end of my "It's a Pink Whale" thread.
I've become spoiled by the auto focus performance of the 7D, which is why the 5D3 is so desirable. It's just the price that is making it tough to swallow, as I am just an amateur.
I did see a pro using a 5D2 to shoot at one of the exhibition games at a different rink a couple of seasons ago. He was busy, though, so I couldn't talk with him and ask how well the AF worked for the sport.
Since the 5D2 kit price hasn't dropped yet with the release of the 5D3, I am waiting anyway. In this case, patience is definitely a virtue. Posted Image

#34 of 82 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,655 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 28 2012 - 02:45 AM

The 5D MarkII Kit is under 3k now which is why I picked it up.

It was $2,799 a few weeks ago at Amazon, but is back up to $2,999. I have over $300 in Amazon credits (which keep increasing due to my Amazon Rewards credit card), so I am waiting for the price to get back to at least that former level... or maybe even a little lower. I'm hoping for some spring rebates or other Canon incentive.

#35 of 82 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 02:53 AM

Well it went back up to $3,200 then because that was where I saw it before the price dropped to $2,999. Since the new kit is using the same lens I heard the kit may not drop for awhile as they may keep this camera around for awhile. I wish I would have saw it for that price I would have bought sooner. ;)

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

It was $2,799 a few weeks ago at Amazon, but is back up to $2,999. I have over $300 in Amazon credits (which keep increasing due to my Amazon Rewards credit card), so I am waiting for the price to get back to at least that former level... or maybe even a little lower. I'm hoping for some spring rebates or other Canon incentive.

#36 of 82 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,655 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 28 2012 - 03:25 AM

Well it went back up to $3,200 then because that was where I saw it before the price dropped to $2,999. Since the new kit is using the same lens I heard the kit may not drop for awhile as they may keep this camera around for awhile. I wish I would have saw it for that price I would have bought sooner. ;)

I almost pulled the trigger at the $2,799 price, too, but that was just before the 5D3 was officially announced. I was betting the price would drop a little more after the 5D3 hit the market. So far, I'm losing that bet. :laugh:

#37 of 82 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 05:55 AM

At that price I'd say you are nuts for even considering it and not going right to the Mark 3. Just my never humble opinion, but if you are already spending an outrageous $2800 why not spend the extra 700 and get a 3.5 year newer camera? Will you really be happy with a 5 year old camera a year into the purchase?

#38 of 82 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,611 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 06:33 AM

If they are that close in price, I think Sam might be on to something.

#39 of 82 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,655 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 28 2012 - 06:53 AM

At that price I'd say you are nuts for even considering it and not going right to the Mark 3. Just my never humble opinion, but if you are already spending an outrageous $2800 why not spend the extra 700 and get a 3.5 year newer camera? Will you really be happy with a 5 year old camera a year into the purchase?

The price difference would be $1,500. The $2,800 was for the 5D2 kit which includes the 24-105mm L f/4 IS lens. The 5D3 kit is $4,300 -- the $3,500 price is for the body only. I need the 24-105L lens as a walk around zoom, as my current EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 lens will not work on a full frame body. I would sell that lens when I get one of the 5D kits. So, after applying my Amazon credits and selling a lens, my out of pocket cost for a 5D2 kit would be approximately $1,800, while a 5D3 kit would be about $3,300 -- almost twice the cost. Of course, if the 5D2 kit price doesn't come down, then the difference is only $1,300, based on today's prices. Even so, your point about buying 3.5 year old technology is still valid and one I have been considering even before you brought it up, Sam.

#40 of 82 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 08:12 AM

Keep in mind that I saved up over a year to buy my 20D, 2 years to buy my D300 and 3+ years to buy my D4 (still on order) and skipped multiple upgrades to get there. My philosophy all along was "buy something good that will last but don't overspend, but don't buy anything more than 1 year old when you do buy, and don't buy something that is a minor upgrade from the previous generation it is replacing. No question the 20D destroyed the 10D and the D300 destroys the D200, but the question is out just how big a leap the D4 is. I could buy a D3S today for 80% of the D4 but then I would miss out on 25% more megapickles, new high speed cards and other tweaks, and those would grate over time just as bad as the AF issue does on the 5D But just replacing the autofocus in the 5D2, which is the SAME AUTOFOCUS SYSTEM MY 20D HAD, you are getting a 6 year leap just in AF, not to mention all the other perks of going to the Mark 3. $1300 is a lot of money. But so is spending that much money on a camera that is already very much outclassed.