-

Photo
- - - - -

Report: Canon 5D Mark III/X "Confirmed" at 22MP and $3500, Announcement February 28th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#1 of 82 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,502 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 08:25 AM

Technically, these are still rumors, but much of the info at this site is more than likely to be correct. There are still some unknowns and some more far-fetched rumors out there. http://nofilmschool.... (NoFilmSchool)

#2 of 82 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,226 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 23 2012 - 08:37 AM

Yeah i saw that, Koo seems pretty sure of it. Will be interesting to see if Canon can really bring serious autofocus down to this level of camera, tho $3500 isn't that big of a drop. Put that AF into a D300 class camera and I might actually break out a few of my Ls that I still have saved up =)

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 82 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 10:25 AM

Eh, that price tag is a bit high, but will await the reviews on the AF performance. Then again, you could buy 2 used MKIIs for almost the same as one MKIII at MSRP, and have more options in shooting ad hoc events.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 82 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 03:30 PM

Where do you buy used MKII? I have been thinking about picking up a MKII once the new one comes out.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#5 of 82 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,434 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 23 2012 - 11:38 PM

Where do you buy used MKII? I have been thinking about picking up a MKII once the new one comes out.

Check out the for sale sections at Photography on the Net and Fred Miranda. Another option is Craig's List. The price of a new MKII kit has gone up $400 in the past couple of weeks. Hopefully after the official announcement of the MKIII, the price will drop back down. I'm still considering a new MKII w/ 24-105L lens, but not at $3,200.

#6 of 82 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted February 24 2012 - 01:06 AM

Yeah when I saw it for $2900 on Amazon a few weeks ago I almost pulled the trigger. Being I'm doing Photography for fun I haven't convenced myself that I want to spend the money. However, I shot with my friends MKII and I liked the setup better then my old Rebel.

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

Check out the for sale sections at Photography on the Net and Fred Miranda. Another option is Craig's List.
The price of a new MKII kit has gone up $400 in the past couple of weeks. Hopefully after the official announcement of the MKIII, the price will drop back down. I'm still considering a new MKII w/ 24-105L lens, but not at $3,200.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#7 of 82 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,434 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 24 2012 - 01:53 AM

Yeah when I saw it for $2900 on Amazon a few weeks ago I almost pulled the trigger. Being I'm doing Photography for fun I haven't convenced myself that I want to spend the money. However, I shot with my friends MKII and I liked the setup better then my old Rebel.  

When it was $2,800 at Amazon I almost pulled the trigger, but held off because I do not shoot much this time of year and figured I could wait to spend the money. In my case, this would be a 2nd body to add to my 7D, and I would probably sell my EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS to help fund the purchase (along with about $300 in gift cards/credits I'm sitting on with Amazon). If I decide to pass on the MKII, I will probably use the Amazon credits towards a new carbon fiber tripod. My current Flashpoint CF tripod has one leg that comes apart sometimes when I open it up.

#8 of 82 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,226 posts

Posted February 24 2012 - 03:46 AM

Seriously I see people do this ALL THE TIME. We know the announcement is less than a month away. Even if you have no intention of buying the replacement WAIT for the announcement. People who are selling used ones now are trying to beat the stampede. These guys are smart. The guys -buying- them now not so much. You will have a much better selection and price if you can live with what you have now for just a few more weeks.

#9 of 82 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted February 24 2012 - 05:36 AM

I'll wait I was just wondering where people go it is a lot of money even for used. I never had bad luck with eBay for most things but I'm a little more concerned with cameras for some reason.

#10 of 82 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,226 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 05:58 PM

Rumors were dead on: http://www.canonrumo...on-5d-mark-iii/ Looks good, but 3500? Ouch.

#11 of 82 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,434 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 02 2012 - 12:34 AM

Awaiting the inevitable price drop on the 5D2.

#12 of 82 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 01:40 AM

I question if they will drop the price it is $1000 below the Mark 3 maybe they will leave it on the market. I would love to see a 500-600 price drop but that would cut into the 7D. I haven't seen anything about the disappearance of older models. Given they still sell the older rebels I wondering if they are going to do the same with the upper models.

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

Awaiting the inevitable price drop on the 5D2.

#13 of 82 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,434 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 02 2012 - 02:29 AM

I question if they will drop the price it is $1000 below the Mark 3 maybe they will leave it on the market. I would love to see a 500-600 price drop but that would cut into the 7D. I haven't seen anything about the disappearance of older models. Given they still sell the older rebels I wondering if they are going to do the same with the upper models.   

I am reading on photography on the net (Canon user forum) that Canon is keeping the 5D2 for now, but is lowering the MSRP. Some online sites are already dropping their price. No price change at Amazon or B&H yet, though. I do not think a lower price 5D2 will cut into 7D sales too much. They are two very different cameras. The 5D3 is much more like the 7D in features, just with a FF sensor and much higher price. The specs on the 5D3 look quite good, but the initial price is where they are getting most of the negative feedback in comparison with the Nikon D800. I wouldn't be surprised if the street price drops quickly after the initial wave of "have to have the newest camera on day 1" crowd buy theirs.

#14 of 82 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,226 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 03:46 AM

I was not expecting this! Lots of cons =( http://www.eoshd.com...mark-iii-review

#15 of 82 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 08:40 AM

Can't imagine the pain some people will experience, selling off their 5D MKIIs (in the $1500-$1700 range) to upgrade to the MKIII and finding out first--hand that they aren't getting all that more in video/stills performance from the extra expenditure. I don't care about video, so the MKIII isn't that appealing to me when I could buy 2 used MKIIs for the same amount of money, even if the new model has better ISO capability since rarely shoot above ISO 3200 anyway.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#16 of 82 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,434 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 22 2012 - 10:07 AM

I do not care about video, which that review focuses on. The reviews of the 5D3 that I've read related to its still photography performance have been very positive so far. Its auto focus system, image quality and high ISO performance all look impressive. That being said, the price is too rich for my blood. I was hoping the 5D2 kit prices would be coming down on Amazon (I have over $300 in credits), but it hasn't happened yet. I can afford to be patient, though, as my credits keep building -- I have an Amazon rewards credit card.

#17 of 82 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun 

Can't imagine the pain some people will experience, selling off their 5D MKIIs (in the $1500-$1700 range) to upgrade to the MKIII and finding out first--hand that they aren't getting all that more in video/stills performance from the extra expenditure.
I don't care about video, so the MKIII isn't that appealing to me when I could buy 2 used MKIIs for the same amount of money, even if the new model has better ISO capability since rarely shoot above ISO 3200 anyway.

If that review is correct, it wouldn't be that appealing to you if you did care for video either.

But indeed, I'm surprised how much that guy is focusing on video. The toys are photo cameras in the first place, aren't they?

At least to me they are.

Cees

#18 of 82 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,422 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 22 2012 - 12:01 PM

There is a growing contingent of professionals looking to use DSLRs for filmmaking. I know I started paying more attention to it when Saturday Night Live shot its entire credits sequence on the 5D Mk II and 7D.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#19 of 82 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 01:02 PM

Oh, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. On the contrary.

But pretending that video is almost the only or the most important function of a photo-camera, at least: the functionality to measure its quality mainly on, is, well... weird in my eyes.

Cees

#20 of 82 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,422 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 22 2012 - 01:13 PM

With HD video recording becoming less of a "bonus" feature (i.e. something to take seriously as opposed to just play with), it makes sense to me that the standards and expectations for the product are going to shift or branch off. That said, I don't think Canon is marketing or intending it as a video recording device first and foremost, so the expectations are coming solely from the end users who have made the camera into something the makers probably didn't envision. That usually brings with it a measure of disappointment.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com