-

Photo
- - - - -

show boat ??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 554 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 03:38 AM

A long time ago there was some discussion of a release for this title....which gossip said would include the b/w James Whale version of the movie. Where might the release of this title on Blu or even DVD be at the present time? Thanks for the info.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,232 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 22 2012 - 08:37 AM

Seems like someone asked this on Facebook and Warners answered that they were still working on them and nothing was in the offing.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   PODER

PODER

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 09:25 AM

A SHOWBOAT Box Set has been discussed, rumored, announced, and pretty much everything except released for quite a few years now. The general consensus is that it should contain all three film versions, plus the Lena Horne as Julie segment from TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY. Other possible additions include the Papermill Playhouse version that was broadcast once on PBS, and the documentary THE SHOWBOAT STORY which was shown after. Chances are slim-to- none on the Papermill version ... PBS generally gets the rights for one showing only. Keep your fingers crossed ... this whole fershluggerin' thing should show up any, um, decade now ...

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 03:39 PM

I wonder if there's any filmed record of past revivals...I saw it live in the 90s with Ned Beatty and Cloris Leachman. That was a great production, and should have been taped for prosperity. Not sure if it was, but it should have been, certainly. Would love to see it again.

#5 of 8 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,562 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 07:54 AM

I would like a DVD (or *love* a Blu-ray) of the James Whale version.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 10:40 AM

My favorite musical and my favorite James Whale film. Inspired partly by Life On the Mississippi by Mark Twain. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image I wonder what the hold-up is. Maybe they are just not very interested in SHOWBOAT.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   PODER

PODER

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 10:53 AM

Dear Ethan, You asked about whether any stage productions of SHOWBOAT were taped. Apart from the Paper Mill Playhouse version, which I mentioned, and which played ONCE on PBS, I can only think of two others. Starting sometime in the mid 70s, I believe it was, Lincoln Center started taping pretty much every Broadway show for reference. These are very bare-bones recordings ... usually one camera shooting the entire stage from the rear of the theater. Also, they can only be watched AT Lincoln Center. So they would have the Hal Prince/Susan Strohman version from about fifteen years ago, and another version starring (as I recall) Donald O'Connor as Capn Andy from sometime in the 80s. I'm pulling these dates out of my often faulty memory, so you might want to Google SHOWBOAT BROADWAY for specifics. Anyway, check out Lincoln Center the next time you're in NYC ...

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,232 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 09 2012 - 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by PODER 

Dear Ethan,
You asked about whether any stage productions of SHOWBOAT were taped. Apart from the Paper Mill Playhouse version, which I mentioned, and
which played ONCE on PBS, I can only think of two others. Starting sometime in the mid 70s, I believe it was, Lincoln Center started taping pretty much
every Broadway show for reference. These are very bare-bones recordings ... usually one camera shooting the entire stage from the rear of the theater.
Also, they can only be watched AT Lincoln Center. So they would have the Hal Prince/Susan Strohman version from about fifteen years ago, and
another version starring (as I recall) Donald O'Connor as Capn Andy from sometime in the 80s. I'm pulling these dates out of my often faulty memory,
so you might want to Google SHOWBOAT BROADWAY for specifics. Anyway, check out Lincoln Center the next time you're in NYC ...

It's my understanding that not just anyone can go watch those recorded shows at the Lincoln Center library. One must have the proper credentials as a theater professional doing research for a specific project and have that authorization in hand before any viewing of a show will be scheduled.