What's new

Older Roku model (1 Viewer)

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
EDIT: Now that I think about it and I thought it wasn't possible or something so I didn't search before hand; I could but a cable that converts HDMI to compontent and just get one of the roku 2 series and not worry about it. As long as tech doesn't make HDMI obsolete in the next year or two. Better idea that the reason I started this thread? I currently have a netflix ready samsung bluray player (one of the first netflix ready devices). And it is clear that samsung doesn't care about the feature because in the 3 years I've had it they haven't fixed the bugs and it has gotten progressively worse to the point I wish I hadn't bought it and gotten a roku and a bluray player without the extras that came with the model that included netflix. As I would have spend the same amount of money and probably would be happier right now even though the roku 2 series has new features. Anyways one thing the newer series doesn't offer is quality output for older TVs. Considering that, I'm pretty sure, every TV made in the last 10 years has come with S-video and/or component video it was silly of them to choose composite over one of them seeing as they decided to make it so small to have to choose one of the 3 options outside of HDMI since my guess is most people in their target audience still don't have HDTVs. But anyways this is why I'm considering one of the older model that has the output that is absent from the roku 2 series. I have no money in the budget right now to upgrade from my older TVs at least until 2013 then maybe I can consider a replacement at that time. However I do have up to $100 I am willing to spend to get a good replacement for netflix viewing. However because whatever I get may likely be replaced once I have replaced my TV the less spent the better. With all that said is there any reason(s) why I would regret getting one of the older ones? I really haven't followed any details about roku since they made their first device so I have no idea of all the details between the old ones and the new ones other than the one output type difference.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
There are several HDMI converters, they all seem to work for half of the buyers and not for the other half. It seems like a good temporary solution.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for the reply. So after more research I think I have come to what may be what I do. I figure I'll post the info in case anyone had any thoughts on that. I think I'll get a used roku XDS. Seems that would cost me about the same or less than buying a converter to use with the roku 2 series. And then when it is time to upgrade my TV roku will probably have even newer models that I can upgrade both TV and roku at the same time and spend less now for a not so temporary solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks