Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Birds on blu ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 21 2012 - 06:26 AM

I heard the news that The Birds is coming to blu ray from Universal. Has anyone heard a firm release date as of yet? I understand that Hitchcock's films need restoration work for blu ray. http://www.fearnet.c...ocks_birds.html I know Amazon has had the title on preorder for quite some time. Hopefully a release date and specs for the disc are announced soon. Glad more Hitchcock titles are coming to blu ray!

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted February 21 2012 - 10:07 AM

Tentative word is "The Birds" will be part of a Universal Hitchcock box set to be released no later than this Halloween, late October of this year...

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 479 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted February 21 2012 - 04:32 PM

I think it'll be a digibook solo release. Although last year they released a DVD set with 5 titles (Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, The Birds, North by Northwest), so maybe they're planning a similar blu-ray box set and do separate releases later to maximize profit.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 04:58 AM

Tentative word is "The Birds" will be part of a Universal Hitchcock box set to be released no later than this Halloween, late October of this year...

Really? So there are several Hitchcock films undergoing restoration for the set? Is there a source or article confirming this? Thanks for the post!

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 22 2012 - 05:09 AM

Really? So there are several Hitchcock films undergoing restoration for the set? Is there a source or article confirming this?

I think The Birds is the only one getting a restoration (I'm no expert but I assume that the previous restorations of Rear Window and Vertigo means that there's no need for a restoration of those titles). Keep in mind that that's a real restoration and not just some marketing gibberish meaning that there's a new transfer. Here's a link to some info about Universal's 100th anniversary. It's not in depth but it does have a list of all the titles that they're restoring this year which, presumably, are coming to Blu-ray over the course of the year (and maybe into early into the next): http://www.hollywood...day-logo-279955 As far as I know, no one has specified what Hitchcock titles are going to be released but I'd be surprised if they put out more than Rear Window, Vertigo and The Birds and a box set with those three and the existing Psycho disc this year.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 470 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted February 22 2012 - 10:50 AM

I suspect any work on The Birds has already been completed. TCM ran it as part of their TCM Classic Cruise in early Dec 2011 ( with Tippi Hedren in attendance !) and it looked great; clean, sharp and with accurate colour. It ran from HD-Cam ported through a 2K digital projector on a theatre-size screen.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 01:59 PM

I think The Birds is the only one getting a restoration (I'm no expert but I assume that the previous restorations of Rear Window and Vertigo means that there's no need for a restoration of those titles). Keep in mind that that's a real restoration and not just some marketing gibberish meaning that there's a new transfer. Here's a link to some info about Universal's 100th anniversary. It's not in depth but it does have a list of all the titles that they're restoring this year which, presumably, are coming to Blu-ray over the course of the year (and maybe into early into the next): http://www.hollywood...day-logo-279955 As far as I know, no one has specified what Hitchcock titles are going to be released but I'd be surprised if they put out more than Rear Window, Vertigo and The Birds and a box set with those three and the existing Psycho disc this year.

Ok. So based on this article The Birds is most likely the only Hitchcock film coming to blu ray from Universal this year. I know Robert Harris has commented that despite the restoration work done on Rear Window and Vertigo ( and others..) in the 90's they would need restoration work before they can be released on blu ray. Thanks for the article. I think that clarifies this a bit in terms of what will be released in 2012. Hopefully Universal is considering or starting restoration work on the other Hitchcock titles for eventual release.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   moovtune

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 22 2012 - 03:22 PM

Restoration work is presently being done on other Hitchcock titles.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 04:20 PM

May I trouble you to expound?

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   moovtune

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 23 2012 - 05:12 AM

All I can say is that the titles that have been announced will be redone - not simply retransferred from existing elements.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 24 2012 - 04:21 AM

All I can say is that the titles that have been announced will be redone - not simply retransferred from existing elements.

Great news! Hopefully more information is coming soon. Thank you for the posts!!

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 229 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 12:52 AM

I was hoping for some good news regarding The Birds on Blu-ray. However, Amazon has a pre-order listing for the 100th Anniversary release of the DVD+Digital Copy ONLY!!! This is disheartening since we all know that if Universal was going to do a Blu for The Birds they would have most certainly digi-packed it like The Sting and Out of Africa. There is NO LISTING for such a release! Another big title that received the short shrift for Universal's 100th was Schindler's List. DVD + Digital Copy ONLY too! So, my best advice would be, don't get your hopes up for The Birds on Blu. http://www.amazon.co...hedigitalbit-20

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,382 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 20 2012 - 01:13 AM

Blu-Ray here: http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=Birds
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 20 2012 - 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nick*Z 

I was hoping for some good news regarding The Birds on Blu-ray. However, Amazon has a pre-order listing for the 100th Anniversary release of the DVD+Digital Copy ONLY!!!
This is disheartening since we all know that if Universal was going to do a Blu for The Birds they would have most certainly digi-packed it like The Sting and Out of Africa. There is NO LISTING for such a release! Another big title that received the short shrift for Universal's 100th was Schindler's List. DVD + Digital Copy ONLY too! So, my best advice would be, don't get your hopes up for The Birds on Blu.
http://www.amazon.co...hedigitalbit-20

I would not give up hope.  The just announced AIRPORT and ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN for their September releases,  If THE BIRDS is to be released in October as a Blu-ray then an announcement will come shortly.  Universal has been very good about releasing what they they have said they intend to release this year.  The only thing that might stop it are the possible plans for a Blu-ray set of Hitchcock films either for the holidays or after the first of the year since we have Bond and Indiana Jones coming.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 479 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted June 20 2012 - 06:27 AM

http://www.hometheat...ion-box-in-2012 It is likely that The Birds will get it's own indivdual release, as well. This is one of 12 full blown restorations Uni is doing this year. This and Vertigo have steelbooks coming in Sweden in Sept. Likely region free.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 229 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 07:06 AM

]You know I've watched the Universal 100th Anniversary trailers and their 'restoration' junkets but even there the studio's been rather brief on details about The Birds Blu-ray release. We get a few brief clips but no narration to suggest how much or what kind of work is being done on the title. I mean, they talk a lot about All Quiet on the Western Front, and Out of Africa and Pillow Talk and Jaws. But mum's the word on The Birds. That's curious. And Amazon's DVD+Digital Copy only release cover art with the 100th Anniversary logo isn't promising. Neither is Universal's 100th Anniversary website which has NO information on the official Birds release either! Fall titles ought to have started trickling down the pipeline by now. Look at how long we've known about the pending Jaws Blu-ray, with more subtle hints directed at E.T. There have been no such subtle hints about The Birds. And now this DVD/Digital Copy only release. Something tells me we're in for trouble, folks. Don't get me wrong. I hope I AM WRONG about this. I love The Birds and was seriously looking forward to owning a hi-def copy on Blu. It may still happen. But I'm starting to have my doubts! Oh, and to Johnny Angell - that link you included has been on Amazon for over two years. It doesn't prove a release date. Amazon often does advanced posts of titles, I suspect to see how many hits they get. Perhaps this info is then relayed to studios so that they can assess a film's popularity for future release. Either way, it doesn't prove The Birds is coming to Blu any time soon. Regrets.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted June 20 2012 - 08:17 AM

Maybe the studio ran into trouble with the transfer/print and feel that they can only do a DVD. That's the excuse many independent labels use when they just release something on DVD and not both formats. Just speculating.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#18 of 18 ONLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,176 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 08:33 AM

It's up for pre-order at Amazon UK as part of the Hitchcock blu boxed set: http://www.amazon.co...40224378&sr=1-2
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.