What's new

TV and Home Theatre Sound Problem (1 Viewer)

Cloud28

Auditioning
Real Name
Shin
I have pretty simple setup right now, my TV is a Sharp 60 inch LED (LC60LE831U) and I have a Samsung HT-D550 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+1000W+5.1-Ch.+DVD+Home+Theater+System/2052149.p?id=1218307910004&skuId=2052149&st=samsung%20home%20theater&cp=1&lp=4)
I have them hooked up with one hdmi going from the home theatre system to the TV (the dvd player to TV), my dvd works fine, sound is decent. However, the problem is I can't figure out how to get the TV sounds through the Home Theatre System instead of the TV speaker?? I also tried using component audio cables (red and white) from TV to the DVD player but nothing is working!
Any ideas???

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The Samsung has two audio input options - a digital optical connection or composite/stereo audio input. It does not have any video inputs.

You didn't mention what your source was for television - cable/satellite/over-the-air - but regardless of the type of source, if you have a set top box of some sort, then you should run one cable for video (HDMI preferred) directly to the TV and a separate connection for audio (digital optical is preferred) from the set top box to the input on the Samsung.

Once connected, you must select the proper input on the Samsung to hear the audio input via the digital optical or composite stereo jacks. To do this, press the FUNCTION button on the remote until it cycles to the correct input (D.In if you use the digital optical cable, or Aux2 if you use the composite stereo input).

You can connect the digital optical cable from the TV to the Samsung unit, however, doing this will only result in 2-channel stereo audio. If you have HD cable or satellite, doing this will cause you to lose any digital 5.1 audio that may be carried by your HD channels. For this reason, a direct audio connection between your set top box and the Samsung is the way to go.

sabikeuk

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Hi,
sorry to hijack this thread but I have similar question.
I am planning to buy LED TV Samsung UE46D5000 and home cinema Samsung HT-D455
I have HDMI Ethernet cable.
Do I need to buy any other cable to be able to hear sound via home cinema when watching TV channels (not DVD)?
I will connect TV straight via aerial cable (digital free view in UK).
Also I have HP G62 laptop with HDMI port – I am assuming for video I will use HDMI cable but what do I need for audio?
Thank you,
Dan

sabikeuk

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-entertainment/dvd-home-entertainment-system/HT-D455/XU-spec

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Dan, you will need a digital optical cable (Toslink) to carry audio from the TVs digital optical output port to the digital audio input on the Samsung Home Theater system.

Just as for the original poster, you will need to select the "D.In" input on the Samsung system to hear audio from the TV.

Toslink digital optical cables can be found just about anywhere. No need to buy anything too fancy or expensive. Just remember to remove the little "caps" that may be covering the fiber optic tips of the cable (not all cables come with these covers, but some do and they will completely block the signal).

sabikeuk

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
So I have TV and home cinema at home finally (bought it yesterday). I have connected TV and home cinema with HDMI cable and optical cable (without optical cable I couldn't hear any sound from home cinema when watching TV channels).
I can't manage to get rear speakers and centre speaker work when watching TV or even listening radio via home cinema. Basically only 2 front speakers and Sub are in use. Why it is like this ? I really would like to hear sound from all speakers.
BTW laptop works fine with TV with only HDMI (audio+video) connected.
Any idea guys ?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Dan,

Not all sources are meant to have sound from all speakers. In fact, radio and CDs are all recorded as stereo (OK, HD radio and some of the high-res audio formats are a little different, but chances are that doesn't apply to you) so you SHOULD only hear sound from the front two speakers and the subwoofer (for low frequency sounds).

For TV broadcasts, the answer is a little murkier. Not all shows have surround sound information. Pretty much all standard definition programming is limited to stereo. Not sure if your OTA reception is HD or not (you said "digital" but that doesn't mean HD), but if you DO get HD channels, SOME of the shows may include 5.1 surround sound audio - in which case your TV should automatically detect that and work properly.

All that being said, there are ways to make your Samsung take a stereo (2.0) signal and simulate a full 5.1 surround sound effect.

That processing is called Dolby ProLogic and it can be an effective way to expand the sound field.

According to your manual (page 34), if you're in "stereo" mode, you can press the " DD PLII" button that's to the left of the "0" key on the remote. You can cycle through the options, but "PROLOG" will provide the closest thing to a real 5.1 sound, and "MATRIX" will (I believe) send an almost equal volume signal to all speakers (this is best, IMO, for music, NOT TV or movies).

The manual is unclear if these options are available for the digital optical input - I can't imagine why they wouldn't be, but you never know.

Hopefully this will help improve the sound for you. Let me know if this doesn't work and we can look a little deeper.

Good luck!

sabikeuk

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Jason Charlton said:
Dan,
Not all sources are meant to have sound from all speakers.  In fact, radio and CDs are all recorded as stereo (OK, HD radio and some of the high-res audio formats are a little different, but chances are that doesn't apply to you) so you SHOULD only hear sound from the front two speakers and the subwoofer (for low frequency sounds).
For TV broadcasts, the answer is a little murkier.  Not all shows have surround sound information.  Pretty much all standard definition programming is limited to stereo.  Not sure if your OTA reception is HD or not (you said "digital" but that doesn't mean HD), but if you DO get HD channels, SOME of the shows may include 5.1 surround sound audio - in which case your TV should automatically detect that and work properly.
All that being said, there are ways to make your Samsung take a stereo (2.0) signal and simulate a full 5.1 surround sound effect.
That processing is called Dolby ProLogic and it can be an effective way to expand the sound field.
According to your manual (page 34), if you're in "stereo" mode, you can press the " DD PLII" button that's to the left of the "0" key on the remote.  You can cycle through the options, but "PROLOG" will provide the closest thing to a real 5.1 sound, and "MATRIX" will (I believe) send an almost equal volume signal to all speakers (this is best, IMO, for music, NOT TV or movies).
The manual is unclear if these options are available for the digital optical input - I can't imagine why they wouldn't be, but you never know.
Hopefully this will help improve the sound for you.  Let me know if this doesn't work and we can look a little deeper.
Good luck!
Hi Jason,
I have only digital TV, not HD. I will try your suggestions with Dolby ProLogic and let you know.
Thank you for your help!
Dan

sabikeuk

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Hi Jason, your suggestions were right, all is working perfect!
Thanks for help!

sabikeuk

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Hi guys, I have a small problem with home cinema.
When I watch freeview music channels (4 music and VIVA) and turn on home cinema I get interrupeted picture and sound. This only happen on these 2 channels, all other channels works fine. When I turn off home cinema picture and sound is fine = no interruption.
Any idea ?

C-Note

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Question: I have done as you explain (optical cable from LG 50pg plasma to a Philips FR975. But have no sound.
I'm trying to listen to streamed Netflix off laptop thru surround sound system
(New to site....thanks for your time!!)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does this sound system have DPL? We "guess" you are connected HDMI to the LG?
The HDMI in, going out the toslink will be PCM 2.0. So, does the audio system recognize that? (it should).
Other question is(since this is a real AVR, not HTiB)...have you assigned the toslink to an input?

C-Note

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Forgive my ignorance. I'm am not so savvy as to understand all of your terminology.
I will answer as best I can:
My laptop to Lg is using HDMI cable. Audio works on TV. I assigned it to the HDMI 2 port.
I was 'hoping' I could just hook up the optical cable from the LG (it says Optical out), run it to the Philips optical port 1 or 2.
I do see red light on end of optical cable prior to hooking into Philips.
Now, I try to set up the Phillips and assigning the optical in anywhere, but it don't see it offered.
The Philips works very well using RCA plugs from my DVD player. And I'm able to use suround with DVDs and cable tv (when run thru DVD player) which is also HDMI (HDMI 1)
I do appreciate your time with replying.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Philips has a menu. The optical on it can be used "anywhere". Input 1, input 2, input 3...whatever.
Somewhere (maybe it has an on screen menu???) you'll find audio selections. Press "menu" or "set-up" and poke around(I don't remember what it was called but it is right there to the right of the main display.
If you need assistance once you start poking around...get a camera and snap some pictures of what the display says...once you enter set-up.

C-Note

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I'll try that again. I had been to the audio input setup, but to scroll or change it was not seeming to work.
I've downloaded the manual for the Philips but it does not seem to help.
But, ill try again and report back.
Thanks!

C-Note

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thank you that was very helpful.
As I tried again, I did it manually with the dials on the face of the Philips and it worked as you said.
My problem seemed to be trying to do this setup using the remote control, it would not work.
Thank you again. I am great full for your input and time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks