What's new

Marantz SR5500 - Setting up RS-232 Connection (1 Viewer)

AlecL6250

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I have an older Marantz SR5500 and I’ve been trying to set up the RS-232 connection to my computer and I just can’t seem to get it work. Anyone have any success with this, or can help? The computer I’m using is a P-IV running Win XP home (SP3), using the standard serial port assigned to COM1 connected to the receiver using a straight through DB9 RS-232 serial cable. I’ve tried a number of different terminal/comm programs but prefer using my Eltima Advanced Serial Port Terminal 4.1. I have the specified protocols set, 9600,N,8,1, no handshake, and using the command set for my receiver. I’ve tried everything I can think of and nothing happens. The commands go out and that’s as far as it goes, I get no return signal or control / status of functions. I have the service manual, no help there. I also managed to get a copy of the Hardware Software Interface (HSI), RS232C controller interface SRx500 Specification. Not much help there either.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have several Denons (sister company) that I use RS232 on with no problems. Have you tried a crossover cable? Even if you aren't getting feedback are the commands you are sending having any impact on the receiver? I can't remember the name, but have you tried using the default program (hyperterm?) in XP?

AlecL6250

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hyperterminal in XP is beyond useless. Even when I select direct cable connection between two devices, it wants to set up a dial-up connection for a ppp/slip on the tcp/ip protocol. Nothing happens on the receiver at all. No return signal, nothing. It's like the cable isn't connected for all the indications it's showing. Are you using a crossover cable on your Denon's? Everything I have says I need to use a straight cable type, though after looking at the pin-out assignments for the connection I'm beginning to wonder if the cable I'm using is the problem.

AlecL6250

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I got it. Of all the ridiculous things too. The command set file I downloaded from the marantz website basically had a glitch in how the comand syntax was written. After playing around with various syntax types I finally got a NAK reply, which at least indicated I was communicating with the receiver and getting a reply, even if it was for an incorrect command. No where in the command set file does it mention I have to append all commands with the "@" character and the commands have to be in upper case. The HSI specification file outlines the command structure, but not clearly and in broken english, so it was guess and try until I got it to power on/off. Funny, I was doing a search on serial port pin assignments and came across a web site showing a diagram and a link to download software, and described communication protocols and various command syntax types.

Users who are viewing this thread