Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Beat the Devil on Blu - Could this be a Twilight Time Release?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,011 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 05:34 AM

This is one of my favorite Bogart films but, unfortunately, one that has been plagued by being in the public domain. As a result, it has had various public domain companies release DVDs of it, and it has never gotten the respect it deserves. What makes me think of Twilight Time is that Beat the Devil was originally released in the United States by Columbia, and Columbia released it on VHS. Thus, Sony, which has a relationship with Twilight Time) may well have good quality elements from which to make a high definition transfer. If Sony does have good elements, and Twilight Time could some of the money they usually pay to license a title into getting Sony to do a high quality transfer, it might be rescued from PDH. As far as extras go, a good commentary also would be great considering the stories that have come out about this production (e.g., Bogart losing to Capote in an arm wrestling match). Criterion sometime rescues public domain films, but they have shown little interest in this title. Personally, I would be much more interested in this than the titles Twilight Time has released so far. P.S. Given that Twilight Time has thusfar shown a penchant for releasing John Huston's less well known works, it should be noted that this is a John Huston film.[

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,915 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 16 2012 - 07:56 AM

At some point over the next few months we should hear some info about wave two of their Columbia titles.  I'm hoping for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington myself...

Good news is they read the forum so I'm sure your request (and mine) are noted.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,565 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 16 2012 - 08:29 AM

There is plenty about Beat the Devil (the cast alone and crew alone) that could be used for PR to get the title out there and make folks want to own it.

I hope Twilight Time considers it.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 08:55 AM

Did Sony remaster this in HD? Otherwise, I can't imagine Twilight Time being able to to much about it other than making request.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 09:48 AM

Actually, Columbia released an excellent transfer on VHS. I bought it for one dollar on ebay. Quality is superior to any of the public domain DVD's. So well-preserved elements do exist. Let's hope Twilight Time will do more than consider it. The proliferation of various public domain editions testifies to its popularity and the demand for a quality transfer. Creatively, of course, the film merits all the attention Twilight Time can lavish on it. http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ The posters have been overstating the case for 60 years. What do you suppose John Huston meant by that?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,011 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 05:15 AM

Bogart produced and starred in a syndicated radio show in the 1950s called Bold Venture that dealt with him and Lauren Becall on a ship in the Carribean called the Bold Venture. I imagine that the reference to the Boldest Adventure in the poster is a play on the radio title. Perhaps the marketing of this title had something to do with its failure at the box office as audiences failed to get what they expected.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'm sure you must be right on the "boldest adventure" association. Except Beat the Devil is a satire and Bold Venture was a straighforward adventure. Columbia probably didn't know how to sell the film so they made up posters for how they wished it would be. I've listened to some mp3's of Bold Venture (hate the sound of mp3's) episodes. The program is imitation Hemingway, as if he had never stopped rewriting To Have And Have Not (actually, he never did). Dated, but I get a kick out of the program. Good storylines and witty dialogue. Somewhere in those episodes are a couple of good movies Bogart and Bacall could have made together.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted February 27 2013 - 10:20 AM

Is the official VHS still the best version around? I've wanted to see the film for ages but there's nothing I hate more than bad PD transfers. Edit: Found Image did a Laserdisc version licensed by Columbia. Will have to track one down.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,011 posts

Posted February 27 2013 - 11:02 AM

Is the official VHS still the best version around? I've wanted to see the film for ages but there's nothing I hate more than bad PD transfers. Edit: Found Image did a Laserdisc version licensed by Columbia. Will have to track one down.

I purchased a DVD copy produced by Tgg Direct before I too became wary of bad PD transfers. I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if its a copy of the laserdisc as it's pretty good (http://www.amazon.co...t the devil tgg).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users