-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor : One World (season 24)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
207 replies to this topic

#21 of 208 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,336 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 01:58 AM

I'm not necessarily bored with the show yet, but
I do share similar concerns that all of you do...

First, I think dividing the teams up as men vs. women

was a good idea at first, but now I see it as a mistake.

Clearly these challenges are designed to favor the men,

even if not intentionally.  I don't think the women stand

a chance in this game.

Next, I'm not particularly happy that this season has

become Survivor: The Paul Lynde Special.  Colton is

just an annoyance.  Really stupid to reveal an immunity

idol to a team of men that aren't going to side with you.

What is it, season after season, with people revealing

the idol to teammates?  You know secrets are never kept.

I think by the time we get rid of Colton and merge the

tribes together the show will find its footing.  Until then,

I don't think it's going to be an easy couple of weeks to
watch.

Good to see you back here, Hanson.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#22 of 208 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted February 23 2012 - 02:01 AM

I find myself rooting for the women just so Colton will be voted off ASAP.

#23 of 208 jseabough

jseabough

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 02:02 AM

I'm just glad that they did away with Redemption Island.

#24 of 208 Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

• 1,524 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 04:21 AM

Patience folks. In every one of the non-all star seasons, it always takes a few episodes for the personalities and story lines to take shape. Some of the more prominent characters, usually the annoying ones, stand out, but then the serious players emerge as they get their bearings, numbers dwindle and strategy becomes more important. The all star seasons are better from jump because we know some of the characters. The non-all star seasons take a few weeks to get going.

#25 of 208 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,336 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 04:27 AM

I hear yuh, James!

Something else I wanted to mention....

I missed tribal council.  Perhaps something to
change the storyline happened there.  However
based on what I saw...

The audience continues to be manipulated by only
seeing one side of the story.

This week, judging from the conversations we saw

from the female tribe, you would think that KAT was

on the way out.  I was rather surprised that she wasn't.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#26 of 208 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,984 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 23 2012 - 06:48 AM

Like last year I won't read this thread until the season is over. I will say a few quick things before I go: I have absolutely nobody I'm rooting for yet. The entire womens team should be picked off one by one tho. No leadership = death. Colton is amusing in small doses. I have no idea what the short guys name is, I don't think he's a midget but the guy looks like you shouldn't count him out too soon. Glad redemption is gone Thought the "give this immunity" gag was a neat twist See you in June.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#27 of 208 JeffO

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 09:16 AM

To make Survivor greatm, they need to blindly redraw teams before every challenge. Imagine the alliances that would have to reform every week. The insanity would never end. Keep redrawing teams until the final 8.
TV DVDs wanted: TJ Hooker (seasons 3-5), The Fall Guy (Seasons 2-5), Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Father Dowling Mysteries, Queen of Swords, Smurfs, and Charlemagne (1994 TV miniseries)

#28 of 208 Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

• 1,524 posts

Posted February 29 2012 - 06:14 AM

To make Survivor greatm, they need to blindly redraw teams before every challenge. Imagine the alliances that would have to reform every week. The insanity would never end. Keep redrawing teams until the final 8.

I could not disagree more. They've changed lots of things to stir it up and keep the players off balance, but the one essential element to me is that you have to build friendships and teams in the beginning and then do a 180 after the merge where the strongest alliances must turn on their own. No matter how poor the cast, that is where the most drama comes from. Several times there has been little drama at the end (Yul and Boston Rob come to mind) because their tribal alliances were so strong that none of their alliance members would turn on them. I'm willing to live with that result and thought they both deserved their victories. I understand that one sided challenges aren't fun, but flipping the teams at every challenge (and at the tribal council?) would merely ensure that it was an individual game from day one. Every strong player would be voted off immediately as soon as they didn't win "tribal" immunity. No fun, IMO.

#29 of 208 JeffO

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted February 29 2012 - 10:09 AM

That isn't necessarily true - personal bonds would mean a great deal, even ones formed in a few days. Think of how many strong players (Tom, Ian from Palau, JT in the season he won) have been kept around due to their relationships, even though they were favorites. The key would be to convince others of your trustworthiness. I think it would thin out the super obnoxious players (Phillip, Russel, etc.)
TV DVDs wanted: TJ Hooker (seasons 3-5), The Fall Guy (Seasons 2-5), Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Father Dowling Mysteries, Queen of Swords, Smurfs, and Charlemagne (1994 TV miniseries)

#30 of 208 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,336 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 02:25 AM

Another week of scratchin' my head.

We have been manipulated to believe that Coltron is

the one guy that everyone wants to get out of the game.

Certainly, whether intentional or not, the men's tribe gave

Coltran a great sense of security that he was safe to the

point that he didn't play the idol.

Wouldn't that have been the perfect opportunity to vote
him out?

Even if everyone voted for him knowing he would have

played the idol, they could have easily made Matt the

backup fall guy.

I don't understand the logic here, but then again, we

are manipulated to believe the story the producers are

telling us rather than what is really going on.

Glad to see the challenges are more evened out so
that the women have a better chance of winning them.

Ronald J Epstein

#31 of 208 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 04:53 AM

No one has perfect information. Will was expressing the amount of anxiety people have in this game at tribal council.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#32 of 208 Jon_B

Jon_B

Screenwriter

• 1,030 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 11:59 AM

Another week of scratchin' my head. We have been manipulated to believe that Coltron is the one guy that everyone wants to get out of the game. Certainly, whether intentional or not, the men's tribe gave Coltran a great sense of security that he was safe to the point that he didn't play the idol. Wouldn't that have been the perfect opportunity to vote  him out? Even if everyone voted for him knowing he would have played the idol, they could have easily made Matt the backup fall guy. I don't understand the logic here, but then again, we are manipulated to believe the story the producers are telling us rather than what is really going on. Glad to see the challenges are more evened out so  that the women have a better chance of winning them.

I think his name is Colton. With Troyzan and Tarzan, I can see how it would be easy to call him that. I guess the majority really didn't like Matt. I can't blame them. I'm having a hard time finding anyone on this cast that I like. I hope this season gets better soon. :(
I'm Back Online

#33 of 208 DaveHof

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 04:40 PM

This season has been pretty uneventful so far. They're trying to push Colton as either the villain or mastermind, but he's just obnoxious. Chelsea is beautiful but there's been no way to gauge her gameplay to this point. I liked the previous season where they would bring back two Survivor vets, and at this point I'm sure they're sorry they didn't play that card again. Would have loved to see someone like Stephenie LaGrossa motivating the women's team, and maybe Penner with the guys.

#34 of 208 KyddAzor

KyddAzor

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 12:02 AM

I like this season, mainly because I'm a young male who doesn't mind seeing Alicia and Sabrina's butts all the time. But at the same time, I always feel weird when you see teachers on Survivor because you know sooner or later they're going to dress inappropriately on the show. And in some instances, people have even been denied their 'old life' because of appearing on TV. And hope that doesn't happen. Also, why get rid of Nina? And I totally agreed with Matt and how he acted towards the girls.

#35 of 208 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,083 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 02 2012 - 07:37 AM

Brian:

Welcome to the HTF!  http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#36 of 208 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,094 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 08:07 AM

As Ron said Colton is an annoyance. It is probably due to some slick editing, but man is he repulsive. Did he go to charm school, become a debutante, whatever. I have never seen a guy act so over the top feminine. Drag Qeens, guys who've had sex change operations, etc. act nowhere near as femimine as Colton. People like him are a large portion of why so many people are anti-gay. You could see 100 gay and lesbians who act like regular, everyday people while Colton is a buffoon, . He's such a joke, yet his ridiculous affectations are what many people see and they assume all gay people are like him. Pick the most femenine girl you know, have her run, sit with her knees together, talk and even try to see if they can get their wrist as linp as Colton does. As for his smart aleck remark of being Republican and not accepting handouts, I see very little difference before him groveling and begging for the immunity idol. He may not give a handout, but he'll certainly take one for himself. He was riduculously arrogant at that first vote, and it would have been the perfect blindside. Does he really intimidate the other players? As for him joing with the women, fatal mistake. They're going to strinng him along because he may be useful, that's temporary. He won't make the finals, let alone the jury, let's hope everyone else realizes this and pulls the classic blindside on him. Liked Matt, but just pulled the Alpha Male power play way to soon. Fatal mistake.
Stan

#37 of 208 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 08:45 AM

Why are people so up in arms about Colton being a catcher and not a pitcher? :D The HII is what drives Colton's power amongst the non-tri-Lambdas in the tribe.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#38 of 208 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,083 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 02 2012 - 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Stan 

Liked Matt, but just pulled the Alpha Male power play way to soon. Fatal mistake.

Much like Hunter Ellis on Survivor: Marquesas.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#39 of 208 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,094 posts

Posted March 02 2012 - 11:28 AM

Forgot about Hunter Ellis until he was mentioned. Very similar to the Matt situation, except I remember Hunter being much more likeable. To many weaker players ban together, so obviously the strongest don't always win. No problem with Colton being a catcher and not a pitcher, I just personally find him massively annoying. Russell Hantz was probably my least favorite person on the show, particular he and his family's attitude at the last reunion show. The blond guy with the "dead grandmother" was another. But Colton is climbing the ladder and is fast becoming my least favorite character out of all the seasons, going all the way back to the first show years ago where Richard Hatch won. Richard played for the same team as Colton, but it never bothered me. He was manipulative and evil, but not in the arrogant, but not didn't have the arrogant, I'm better than everyone else attitude Colton presents. As for Colton and the HII, why are they all falling for it. Call him out boot his ass out of there. Instead they all seem to live in fear of angering him, when they had the perfect setup to get rid of him. Or at least force him to play it and send him in tears back to the women's team. Glad the challenge did become less physical and more a mental task to even things out. Although Colton and the other guys may not realize that my booting Matt, and the other muscle guys, they will lose much of their physical abilities to win the more athletic challenges. Of course as mentioned above, we get a heavily edited show, meant to skew our opions and it makes it hard to see the entire picture. One thing the guys have got to do is stop supporting the women, unless they truly get something in return. The women sending one or two over to get dry, enjoy the fire, and then say they can't negotiate because they all need to discuss it needs to end.. Definitely taking advantage of the guys. If the women can't send their entire team over so deals can be worked out, kick them out, let them stay cold and wet with no fire. There is no place for chivalry and politeness in this game.
Stan

#40 of 208 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,472 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 01:17 PM

Really? The men win and go to TC anyway? Really? I think I am done with this show.  I didn't even watch TC.

So...what happened?

No.  Don't tell me, I really don't want to know.

I'm pretty sure, anyway.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: