Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor : One World (season 24)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
207 replies to this topic

#201 of 208 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,845 posts

Posted May 17 2012 - 02:10 AM

Though ratings are down, the show is still a top-20 performer, which ain't bad after 12 years and 24 seasons. http://www.zap2it.co...37498.htmlstory http://survivorfando...gs-agree-33722/
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#202 of 208 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,852 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 17 2012 - 02:41 AM

I see Probst thinks Phillipines will be a fan pleaser.  Let's hope so.

What I worry about is the producers deciding to amp up interest through the casting of bizarre personality-types...or the return to the use of show gimmicks (Redemption Island, etc.).

In its pure form, the show is fine as it is.  Not every season can be a jewel.

I also agree with a number of the posters at survivorfandom.com who noted that it seemed as if there hasn't been much "surviving" going on in this (and other recent) season(s).  Contestants are being supplied rice, they seem to be wearing make-up, etc.  Maybe there just needs to be a little more air time spent on camp life...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#203 of 208 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,845 posts

Posted May 17 2012 - 03:07 AM

Does anyone really think it's a cakewalk survivor-wise during the 39 days? I think people simply get acclimated after the first week, and simply adapt to life on the "island"/surrounding. I'd probably have to be evacuated within the first week, but a guy's gotta know his limitations. :) The show isn't really all that interested in playing up the "survival" aspect, as it is the socio-political aspect of voting out people and yet having to depend on them to vote you the $1 million prize.

#204 of 208 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,168 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted May 17 2012 - 03:11 AM

I kinda wish they'd bring back the "gross local food" challenges.

#205 of 208 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted May 17 2012 - 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun 

The show isn't really all that interested in playing up the "survival" aspect, as it is the socio-political aspect of voting out people and yet having to depend on them to vote you the $1 million prize.

And yet here you have a sampling of hard core fans (from your link to survivorfandom) who completely disagree with that decision.  If the producers refuse to refocus on the survival aspect then they really should stop talking about the "ultimate survivor".  That aspect of the show was very much a key to how the game was played in season's past and I for one would really like to see it refocus to at least make it part of the show again.

The whole socio-political thing will never fade away, but the challenges of survival thrown on top of that made it all the more interesting...again, for me anyway, YMMV.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#206 of 208 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,457 posts

Posted May 17 2012 - 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun 

Does anyone really think it's a cakewalk survivor-wise during the 39 days? I think people simply get acclimated after the first week, and simply adapt to life on the "island"/surrounding. I'd probably have to be evacuated within the first week, but a guy's gotta know his limitations. Posted Image The show isn't really all that interested in playing up the "survival" aspect, as it is the socio-political aspect of voting out people and yet having to depend on them to vote you the $1 million prize.

From what I've read, they used to focus more on the starvation aspect in the earlier seasons (this was a big part of the original Expedition Robinson), but the problem was that the contestants were so lethargic from the malnutrition that there was too much footage of the Survivors just lying around. So they struck a balance where they are still hungry, but they're not, you know, dying.

#207 of 208 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,845 posts

Posted May 17 2012 - 03:40 AM

The other factor is that they probably have more data as to the long-term affects of malnutrition and other nasty bug-bites-related issues to balance the survivor aspect and the competition aspect for the show, along with the starvation aspect. Also, they are trying to put together compelling TV, and watching people simply waste away on a weekly basis isn't all that appealing to the general TV-viewing public.

#208 of 208 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,852 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 17 2012 - 03:44 AM

I think the two things ("surviving" and "social politics") have always been inextricably intertwined.

A tired, hungry contestant might engage in compromised decision-making--making for a more interesting show.

I totally agree with Pat that the current Survivor experience is no cakewalk.  Those contestants in "One World" obviously lost a LOT of weight, but as an audience we have not--in recent seasons--been let in to as much of the camp politics as in the past.

These are all editorial judgments on the part of the editors/producers...and they probably have good reasons for the decisions.  I guess I would think a great way to satisfy everyone would be to have a little more Survivor available.  There's an overwhelming amount of content (39 days worth) to squeeze into the few minutes we get each week.  What a difficult job that must be.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon