-

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor : One World (season 24)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
207 replies to this topic

#1 of 208 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,604 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 07:34 PM

I looked and can't find a thread for this season...

We hadn't even hit the first commercial break and I was already fed up with most of the cast. What a bunch of cocky, arrogant idiots... on both tribes. It took a while but by the end of the show I found myself rooting for the women because the men were becoming the bigger jerks as the show went on.

Just two comments on the individual cast members:

- Alicia needs to go. Too much of a chip on her shoulder. She's making Chicago look bad.

- Chelsea absolutely must stay as long as possible. I'm getting sick of the eye candy getting voted off early.

#2 of 208 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 12:06 AM

Yeah, also hoping Chelsea lasts quite a while, she's a real beauty.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 208 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,597 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 01:46 AM

Good to be back in Survivor discussion.

As usual, the producers threw some real entertaining

individuals into the mix.  We have a flamboyant gay man

and a midget, of all things.

Fortunately, no Redemption Island.  So happy to see that gone.

I like the idea of the men and women living together.

So, yeah, quite entertaining so far.  I'm already hooked.
Let's see what the script writers come up.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 208 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 02:01 AM

I think the two teams one camp is going to alter the merge later on. Maybe... I too hope Chelsea lasts as long as possible. It was overall a pretty boring show since they didn't even finish the chalenge. Not the best start...

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#5 of 208 Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted February 16 2012 - 05:11 AM

Something new this season - tribe specific immunity idols - in the past if you found one, they would work for either tribe (the famous "gift" to Russel of an idol from the other tribe) and always would work for you. From the previews, it looks like the idol giver is regretting giving it to the flamboyant guy. Also, having the guys vs girls option limits the type of challenges they can have. The one last night had a lot of "balance" items in it. I think some of the harder, battle challenges will be replaced with more balance beams and lighter puzzles to even the playing field. More mazes, stand on a perch, and shuffle board challenges as apposed to the heavy lifting and endurance ones. If the girls would have listened to the simple instructions of "keep your hands in and land on your back" it might have been closer in the end. They were lucky to only have one broken wrist out of it - as one girl just landed on her feet (broken/sprained ankle) and several others didn't keep their hands in...turns out it was a 20 foot fall. From the episode recap: http://www.cbs.com/s.../episodes/83343 "As the challenge begins, Jeff reminds the castaways to keep their arms to their chest and land on their back as they jump off the twenty-foot tower into the net below. "

#6 of 208 mike caronia

mike caronia

Second Unit

• 414 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 05:23 AM

Not a lot of likeable people...should make for an intersting season. Could be some huge fights. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#7 of 208 Jon_B

Jon_B

Screenwriter

• 1,030 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 12:48 PM

Good to be back in Survivor discussion. As usual, the producers threw some real entertaining individuals into the mix.  We have a flamboyant gay man and a midget, of all things. Fortunately, no Redemption Island.  So happy to see that gone. I like the idea of the men and women living together.   So, yeah, quite entertaining so far.  I'm already hooked.   Let's see what the script writers come up.

I agree, and I second everyones comments on Chelsea.
I'm Back Online

#8 of 208 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 06:38 PM

Well - apparently we will have some pretty lame challenges due to the sexual imbalance/balance thing. Can we expect a rock, paper, scissors challenge in the near future? :P

#9 of 208 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 07:44 PM

It says a lot about the sad state of modern-day Survivor that the main selling points of a season are the facts that it A) features an entirely fresh cast, B) the players are out of the game once they're voted out, and C) there's nobody in the cast with the last name Hantz. But after CBS took the show off the air in 2011 in favor of a spin-off called "Redemption Island starring 'Boston Rob' Mariano, Russell Hantz, Benjamin 'Coach' Wade and Ozzy Lusth," Survivor is finally back. There are still a lot of problems that need to be fixed, but the current season is a step in the right direction...on paper at least. I was really looking forward to the premiere because I think the "One World" concept is a great one--this is the kind of tweak that the show needs; something that creates a new dynamic without disrupting the fabric of the original game. I'll reluctantly admit that I was pretty underwhelmed for a couple reasons, but I'm still holding out hope that we have a good season. A couple thoughts: -I think at this point, they need to stop referring to them as "hidden" immunity idols. The producers rely on them too much to drive drama, and the last seasons where they really filled that order were Samoa and Heroes vs. Villains (both of which went WAY overboard, with a whopping six idols played in HvV alone). I'd like to see give them a break for a few seasons, but I know to pick my battles here, and there are bigger issues to fix. But still, I wish they would let the game play out before the merge and then put the idol into it. And I don't really understand what's so bad about actually burying or hiding them. -I'm glad Jeff didn't tell them in advance about the One World twist, and that they were surprised when they got to camp. It played out as I expected it would initially, with the tribes reluctant to work together. That'll undoubtedly change as the weeks go on. But why didn't we see Jeff pry them at the challenge (and extensively at Tribal Council) about what they thought? -It's been a long time since they've done men vs. women, and while I'm sure the decision was made purely to help viewers keep track of the tribes, I think it was a good call. -This was probably the weakest premiere ever in terms of establishing characters. Even the Russell-centric Samoa premiere developed the first boot Marisa pretty well. The only people we got a sense of here were the guy who stole the women's supplies (Michael?) and the uber-annoying Colton. -I don't blame the men at all for not wanting to play the challenge. But while I know it was designed to drive "drama," I don't get why the producers gave them the choice because watching the challenge run in full (and having a Tribal Council vote) would have been far more entertaining. Instead, the last 20 minutes of this episode were completely anticlimactic. -Yeah, I know that Jeff repeatedly told them to land on their backs...but sorry, this was a horribly designed challenge that should have been discarded before it was even constructed. A 25-foot fall? Come on. That's way too far, and especially with the adrenaline rush of competing, it's no surprise that hardly anyone landed "correctly." -.What really left a bad taste in my mouth about this episode is that Jeff Probst has gone on record as saying that the reason they no longer do casts of 16 people is because if someone quits or is evacuated, it prevents them from ending an episode with the narrative of the vote. They have 18 this time. Someone was evacuated, yet there was no vote. ??? It wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that this basically guarantees that, yet again, we'll have a final three. It's obvious that the producers will only resort to a final 2 if they have no other choice, despite the large majority of fans making their preference for final 2 very clear. To me, the final 3 is still the single worst change ever made to Survivor, and one that destroys the endgame of nearly every season it's been a part of. It's really frustrating that the people running the show are the only ones who don't seem to realize this. -My pre-game favorite was Bill, the stand-up comedian...aka the only person who got no airtime last night. :laugh: I like Michael for his villain potential. Monica seems pretty cool and I dig Chelsea for obvious reasons. I'm still optimistic about this season, and I'm eager to see how One World plays out. I hope they don't shuffle the tribes ahead of the merge, because it'll make for a hell of an episode if everything just suddenly implodes when it's everyone for themselves.

#10 of 208 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,597 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 11:04 PM

Anthony,

I very much enjoyed your assessment of the
show so far this season.

Like you, I am enjoying the fact that the show

is returning to its roots -- getting rid of the guest

stars and redemption island.

Looks like it will be a very entertaining season

and I look forward to your further contributions

to this discussion.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 208 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 12:33 AM

The women played the "bras and panties" card waaaay to early.  Should waited till at least day 10...

Colton is beyond annoying - he is surpassing Cochran in the very first episode in terms of overall douche factor.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#12 of 208 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,143 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted February 17 2012 - 02:38 AM

The best way to for the women to give the idol to the men would have been to publicly offer it up to the first person to come over and start a fire, and if nobody did, lose it.

#13 of 208 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 04:48 AM

Regarding the whole idol episode - how transparently contrived can Survivor get? Colton immediately falls into the "plot" of needing an idol and "whoa, looky here! I poked this log with a stick and an idol flew out!"  What an amazing coincidence that was....Posted Image

Greg - I like your idea, but in the end it would have been a bit shortsighted for the girls.  By giving it to someone who appears to be more aligned to their tribe, i.e. the over-the-top flamboyant Colton, they will quite possibly reap more benefit than the fire route since they now have flint anyway.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#14 of 208 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 05:02 AM

The best way to for the women to give the idol to the men would have been to publicly offer it up to the first person to come over and start a fire, and if nobody did, lose it.

I kind of like your idea but if I recall correctly the note with the idol said they HAD to give it away before the next tribal so they could not just chuck it into the sea. Also, it really wasn't that big of a deal that the men took the victory when they did because it was obvious the injuried person was not coming back to the game.

#15 of 208 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 12:53 PM

Also, it really wasn't that big of a deal that the men took the victory when they did because it was obvious the injuried person was not coming back to the game.

Right, so the producers should have finished the challenge and held a complete Tribal Council, with someone voted out in addition Kourtney being evacuated. Thank you, Ron--I genuinely appreciated the email and intend to stick around :)

#16 of 208 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 17 2012 - 01:21 PM

The men had a no win.   They were significantly ahead by the time the injury was called; they had 3 players finished, one on the way vs. 1 and one on the way.. I mean, it was a commanding lead.  If they went ahead and played it out, and just pummeled them, wouldn't the complaint have been "well, we just injured a player, and you went ahead and forced this so someone else might get injured.."   No win.  If I were them I would have taken the win anyway too.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#17 of 208 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 05:41 PM

I don't fault the men for taking the offer--I would have too. No reason to risk it. But the producers shouldn't have given them the option--either give them the win or don't. Instead, they opted for 30 seconds of "drama" with the men's decision and the most anticlimactic final 20 minutes of any premiere in Survivor history. Besides, it was hardly a sure thing for the men. In both Amazon and Vanuatu (which were also battles of the sexes), the men had big leads on the first immunity challenge until one or two of them were unable to make it across a balance beam.

#18 of 208 willow

willow

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 04:32 PM

survivor is dead. what a horrible season! I watched the first 3 episodes, and snored thru most. Kill this show.:P

#19 of 208 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 05:26 PM

3 eps already? Seems like only two... but I can understand how it could seeeem like three... what's next -- a basket weaving immunity challenge?

#20 of 208 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,417 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 01:16 AM

I can't see how they used a challenge clearly favoring the guys on a season where it's guys vs girls.  I mean, you go the front side and there are boobs in the way.  Go the back side, there's an ass impeding progress (try getting around Alicia from behind).  That the result was so one-sided was not unexpected.