Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Replacement universal remote for receiver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   themow

themow

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 02:49 PM

I have a pioneer VSX26-TX and I need a remote. Pioneer wants tons of money for the remote model #axd7212 and I might as well buy a new receiver considering its age. Im wondering if I can use any type of universal remote that will enable me get through the menus etc of the receiver.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,966 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 16 2012 - 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by themow 

I have a pioneer VSX26-TX and I need a remote. Pioneer wants tons of money for the remote model #axd7212 and I might as well buy a new receiver considering its age. Im wondering if I can use any type of universal remote that will enable me get through the menus etc of the receiver.

John-

While I can't speak for that specific model, I have used universal remotes on LOTS of Pioneer gear (including receivers) in the past without any problems.  You will just need to decide if you want a super basic universal remote, or if its time to step up to a Harmony or similar easy to use Universal remote to make it easier to use your entire system.  Since you are going to do it, I would do it right.    Then again if you don't have HDMI switching and having a universal remote isn't a priority you may want to look at stepping up to a newer receiver.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,586 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 01:40 PM

I have that same receiver (no, I won't sell you the remote) and I doubt you will find a fully functional universal model anywhere short of a Harmony One, but at least you can use that if you upgrade.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,764 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 17 2012 - 09:56 AM

I checked a couple of places last night and they were both $128. For my 23txh I'm using a remote from an old 1014 that I bought on ebay for $28. Good for everday use but it doesn't control everything It's good for power on/off, volume menu/setup and surround modes, among other things. But it doesn't work for the MCACC presets or Audio/Video Parameters. I bet a remote from a slightly newer receiver would control most everything on the vsx-26. Their plentifull on ebay. Just keep looking.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   themow

themow

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 01:14 PM

I programmed my comcast remote to control power and volume and thats all I need. I only use it for stereo anyway. Its now having that famous dsp board issue that many of these units had. I do want a new rec with HDMI switching but Im very used to the sound quality from this unit and I know that a new receiver is going to be pricey if im looking for that type of quality.