-

Photo
- - - - -

Should I update/upgrade my Yamaha HTR-5890?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   jpresson24

jpresson24

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 05:23 AM

I'm thinking of getting a new receiver that has HDMI and TrueHD sound decoding. I am mostly a movie watcher and occasional music listener and game player. My Blu-Ray player is a PS3, I have a 12" 800W Sub and SVS speakers (5). My HTR-5890 is a very nice and capable receiver but it was made before HDMI and the Blu-Ray HD sound. I'm using the optical in port from my PS3 to my receiver and was wondering if I would see any improvement in surround sound from changing to a more modern receiver like the Yamaha RX-V671 or Denon AVR-1912? Please advise. Thanks!

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,708 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 15 2012 - 11:38 AM

In my experience Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio provide a noticable improvement in sound quality. Not night and day, but noticable. And HDMI just makes things easier to install, setup and operate. Whether it worth the cast of a new receiver is hard to say. But I can't recall anyone ever saying they were disappointed in up-grading.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.