Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Display Optimizers, But Which One?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   apn73

apn73

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 09:14 AM

I've finally got the whole package together. First, I got Dish Network HD and then I just recently got my 47" LG LCD and I'm lovin it. I found out that THX mixed movies have the their optimizer on the same disc and I have been using that to get a better picture and I'm pleased for the most part. I then decided to try to find a pair of THX optimizer glasses and got a shock, after seeing them advertised for $1.99 and going ahead with purchase I found out that with shipping they were going to cost me almost $18 to reach the door step. I don't think so! Not for a pair of cardboard and cellophane lensed glassed that look like they are worth less than $1.99. I decided to ask you folks about getting some of these glasses and read about some other options that sound a lot better, Avia and DVE. I found them on Amazon but things have changed since the last posts on the subject. Avia II and DVE for HD are the current offerings, but before I drop a lot of money for either, which one is better? I saw mixed reviews of Avia II of the 26 reviews on Amazon and that didn't sound so good, so I decided to ask the people I regard as the true experts on the subject, the great people on this forum. What are your thoughts, which one do I buy? New versions, old versions? Thanks, Adam.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted February 14 2012 - 09:46 AM

The best calibration disc for beginners is the Disney WOW disc. It's highly recommended and has gotten great reviews.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   apn73

apn73

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 02:10 AM

The best calibration disc for beginners is the Disney WOW disc. It's highly recommended and has gotten great reviews.

I appreciate the feedback and this looks pretty good, it got great reviews for the most part, but it sounded as though it left some of the savvy reviewers wanting. I would definitely consider myself a beginner at this, but I want to get the best out of my LCD that I possibly can, withing reason of course. I am not going to pay somebody several hundred dollars to do this for me. Will DVE or Avia II get me closer to optimal or will Disney WOW get me the same place as the other two. I'm willing to buy Avia or Avia II, but is it worth it? Is it the best at that price point? Thanks, Adam.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 08:44 AM

The WOW disc will do everything you want, and it is much easier to use. Whatever you buy, make sure you buy the Blu-ray version, if you have a Blu-ray player.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   cmkworm

cmkworm

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 21 2012 - 04:25 AM

Where can you get the WOW disc at?

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted April 21 2012 - 11:30 AM

Amazon. I doubt any stores have it.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,847 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 22 2012 - 06:28 AM

There are multiple SKUs on Amazon, this is the one you want, the 2 disk set: http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B0045ASBLG

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt