Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

AT&T throttling usage on their so-called "unlimited" plan

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,423 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 03:00 AM

http://finance.yahoo...-080906861.html It seems rather dishonest to advertise something (and contract to) as a "high speed unlimited plan" when it's obviously no such thing for some of their customers. Sure the network can get congested, but as the article points out, Verizon only throttles temporarily, and only by the amount needed, While AT&T does it for the rest of the billing cycle, and for as little as 1.5 to 2.3 gB of usage. This is another example of why I've never signed to a contract, and why I'm VERY happy AT&T didn't buy Tmobile. They're up front about their 5 gB limit (which I've never approached).

#2 of 11 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,916 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 01:31 AM

This is the reason I have already written an email to
AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson expressing my disgust.

I have loved AT&T these years I have been a subscriber.

However, come the release of the iPad 3 and iPhone 5

I will be switching over to Verizon.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 11 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,673 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 19 2012 - 12:01 PM

I plan to go to Verizon too, but they suck as well. But I'm leaving AT&T unless there is some zinger in the works like there always has been.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#4 of 11 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 01:17 PM

This is partly why I have little inclination to lock myself up for 2 years just for the privilege to pay an extra $30/month+tax/fees, which probably means extra ~$45/month given telco billing math, Posted Image to get potentially screwed by any of them. Posted Image

I guess I could try going unlocked or contract-free, but that's really no better for the asking price of whatever smartphone that will likely get obsoleted in a couple years' time.

I can see Robert's point (in his approach), but I have a growing family (and enough friends, acquaintances, etc.), so his approach probably doesn't work any better for my case either -- maybe after we become empty-nesters years from now perhaps...

Of course, it helps that my company's willing to pay for my BB (at least for now), and nobody else in the family needs/wants a smartphone enough to justify the costs...  They'd be much happier w/ an iPad or another lite-weight laptop or something...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#5 of 11 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,347 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 20 2012 - 12:44 AM

I have been with Verizon for many years, and luckily have a grandfathered unlimited data plan which has never been throttled (but I am not currently a heavy data user). My main reasons for sticking with them this long are (1) they have the best coverage in the areas I travel -- especially in northern Michigan, where coverage can be challenging in some areas, (2) I get a 22% discount through my employer, and (3) I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan. However, I am not so naive to believe that Verizon will not pull something like this in the future. Should that happen, I would be just as upset as you AT&T users and would begin looking for another carrier, provided they can meet my coverage and pricing requirements.

#6 of 11 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,916 posts

Posted February 20 2012 - 01:08 AM

Ultimately, as many letters I have sent this past week
complaining to ATT execs about the throttling and
threatening to leave, I have come to realize that the

service has me by my cahungas.

Verizon no longer has an unlimited plan. So, leaving

AT&T will only take me to a service that will cost me
more and give me less (though right now I am getting

less with a 2GB limit).

But here's where AT&T really has me.....

They are the only service that allows simultaneous

voice and data usage.  You can multitask on the iPhone

during a phone call with AT&T.  You can't do that on Verizon.

Also, I can stay on AT&T's lowest minute plan. With

rollover minutes, any unused time gets rolled over to
the next month and so on.  I always have extra minutes

available for those few months I exceed my plan's allowance.

Finally, and most importantly, AT&T data speeds are
remarkably faster than Verizon.  This has not only been

confirmed in online articles, but I can personally confirm

that as fact.  I used to have a Verizon data card for my

PC.  The speed was much slower than tethering off my

iPhone.  AT&T really has faster data speeds.

So, I can complain all I want about AT&T but in reality,

there is nowhere to go.

AT&T is actually allowing customers to get 3GB of data

per month for the same price as the unlimited throttled at

2GB.  It's an attractive offer to get users out of the unlimited

plan.  I might think about doing exactly that.  The unlimited

plan no longer has any benefits to it.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 11 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,347 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 20 2012 - 04:13 AM

Ron, Your speed issues should go away once Apple offers a 4G/LTE iPhone. I find that Verizon's 3G speeds are fine in this area for basic uses (email, audio streaming, etc.), and only switch my phone to 4G occasionally -- 3G uses less battery power than 4G. When at home and work, I switch to wi-fi and get the best of both worlds -- faster speeds and better battery life. As for being able to simultaneously use voice and data, is that something you really need? I know each person uses their phone differently, but it is something I have never really needed in the 2 years I've owned a smartphone. Verizon was offering 4GB of data per month for the price of 2GB, but I'm not sure if that offer is still available.

#8 of 11 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,007 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 20 2012 - 04:46 AM

I'll probably stay on ATT. Also the grandfathered unlimited. I rarely go over 1g of usage per month since its on wifi most of the time, but like that its there if i need it. Also the simultaneously use of voice and data is needed for us so that is more of what will keep us o ATT.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 11 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,673 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 21 2012 - 06:49 AM

I use my phone for other web surfing all the time while on speaker phone, often muted.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#10 of 11 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 02:05 PM

I was desperate financially a few years ago and worked for an AT&T call center for about three months. They couldn't give a shit about the customer and I will never, ever do business with them. Their entire business plan is "ripoff the customer as much as possible". They don't care, especially about what is called "churn", when they lose customers to other vendors. There are still enough people that start up with them they don't care if they lose customers, new buyers or people ticked off with other vendors will mistakenly come to them. They treat their employees like crap, you are forced to work in sweatshops, and they change their rules, policies, plans you can offer, etc. with no notice. If you have an older plan and are happy with it, keep it, so far you're grandfathered in to the old plan. If you make one change to it, you will never get it back. A CSR can push one button and it's gone for good. The way their computer system is written, you can't add customers back to old plans, they're history, you now have to sell them a new one. Scum, pure scum. Good luck to those of you with them now, they'll invent a new way to rip you off in the future with magical fees or whatever else they can come up with. The recent throttling plans are just a start. Obviously I'm not an AT&T fan and never will be.
Stan

#11 of 11 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,006 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted April 17 2012 - 09:01 AM

FWIW, on Verizon LTE (4G) you can do simultaneous voice and data if the phone supports it. Hopefully that will include the next iPhone. As it happens, Verizon is expanding LTE this week. Also, I believe one of HTC's 3G android phones (Thunderbolt) also supported sim. voice/data with a special chipset but I don't think any other phones have that feature.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users