What's new

New to this (1 Viewer)

prestige2202

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
OK, so I have never had anything more than one of those Home Theater in a box setups and I even lost that in a recent breakup. I am starting over. I want to put together something for myself. Like I said, I am starting over. I don't want to end up penniless either. This is all so foreign to me. I am being told that I want to piece a system together. That will provide me with the best of each world. (Correct?) I have just purchased a 46" samsung, LED smart tv with all the bells and whistles. Now, where do I begin for a receiver, speakers, and a sub? I would like something that I will honestly enjoy and would be proud to show off to my parents when they stop in town and my brother. I am just so confused as far as where to begin. I don't even know what questions to ask myself and am reluctant to throw myself at the mercy of some Best Buy or HH Greg 17 yr old employee that has no clue. I am just renting now so this is something that will accompnay me in a move in just over a years time. I guess what I mean to say is that while I am insanely envious of those of you with the built in sytems with wall sunken componenets, speakers, stadium seating and a popcorn popper, this isn't an option I have. I want something that I can kick back on the couch and listen to bullets fly by my ears and jets scream by. I want the roar like that of the T Rex in Jurassic park to startle me even when I am expecting it. I need to be able to use it for playing my ipod, bluray, and xbox too though. Anyone out there at least get me started in a direction or lend a helping nudge? My head is swimming! Also: my living room is 15x20. Other components are a sony bluray, xbox 360, and the tv is the Samsung LED UN46D6000 series. Bill

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Keep in mind two things, I am not the most experienced, but I will try to help as much as I can.. First off.. Do you have a budget? 5.1 or 7.1? Rough suggestions.. Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1021-K / Denon AVR-1912 / Onkyo NR609 The fronts and center you will want to voice match.. and Crutchfield is having a sale on the Infinity's. Great deal! http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P362BG/Infinity-Primus-P362.html?tp=185&avf=N http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PC350BG/Infinity-PC350-Black-grille.html?tp=189&avf=N&nvpair=FFBrand|Infinity The surround speakers are less important (I think), so you can either choose to keep it all Infinity, or Polk's are good, Boston Acoustics, Definitive. For your sub, I would go with a Velodyne or Klipsch. Don't forget your speaker wire! Don't use crappy wire.. Monster's good (pricey) people on here will say monoprice is better, but you can't really deny the quality of Monster. For example, I just got a 600sw subwoofer cable from them, bass is much tighter, as well as clearer and I don't have to turn the gain up as much. Well, I hope I helped you a little bit. Keep in mind I'm not a pro audio, just an enthusiast that enjoys music.. :)

prestige2202

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
What are my pros and cons for tower speakers vs the smaller? Are the big towers needed for the best sounding system?

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
You will probably want tower speakers for your front's. You could use smaller ones for the front, but most people use towers. The towers usually use 6.5" mid-range and a couple tweeters. You'll probably get a tweeter and either a 5.25" or 6.5" in a smaller one (these you use for surround). The bigger speakers can play lower, clearer, and just generally sound better than bookshelf speakers.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Monster's good (pricey) people on here will say monoprice is better, but you can't really deny the quality of Monster.
Yes, you can. Monster cable is no better than ordinary cable. The only difference is it cost 3-5x as much.
What are my pros and cons for tower speakers vs the smaller? Are the big towers needed for the best sounding system?
In the lower prices ranges, towers are often just contain the same drivers as bookshelfs with a larger housing. You're paying more for the housing, not improved audio. You can build an exceptionally good sounding system using bookshelfs and save some money. Better tower speakers will include both a mid-range and upper-base driver. The better towers will give you more upper-base response; but once again, this is not the case for many entry level towers. In general, you'll do better with bookshelf and a better sub. (Trying to skimp on the sub will leave you with an average sounding system.) Once we have a budget, we can be more precise with recommendations.

prestige2202

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
I will be blunt. No idea where to even guess to begin. 1000$? 1500? would rather stay closer to the 1000$. Also, not sure about a surge protector. I am renting an old home, bult back in 1920 that has very old wiring. I have changed out a few of the outlets to accomodate 3 prong plugs. This is not actually grounded though as the wiring is physically not there for a ground. Even if I buy a surge protector, will it be effective if it is plugged into an outlet that has no ground wire? I think I prefer your suggestion Al on the smaller of speakers. I am having to move in just over a years time with work and the smaller would seem to be more versatile.

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
I would get a nice receiver.. around 300 350. That leaves you 700 for the speakers. I'm not sure about how to do a small speaker setup. I would think a center and either 4 or 6 small speakers in optimal positions. Dunno about the ground. Probably would want to call up an electrician to make a ground properly..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks