Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

My conversation with Warner Archives regarding THE SATAN BUG m.o.d.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,320 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 02:35 PM

Looks like the Warner Archives are now carrying a bunch of the MOD's that were available only through other channels like Screen Archives before, and that now includes THE SATAN BUG. Everyone looking at this post is probably already aware of the fact that this Sony/MGM transfer is one of the worst in DVD history (along with a few other MGM releases, like JEAN DE FLORETTE and EXODUS). The cover art displayed on the Archives site exactly matches the old release, so there is no reason to believe there has been any upgrade. I contacted the Archives by phone and spoke to Colin, and explained that this title was unworthy of being sold on their site, and suggested they just have an executive watch a copy of it on any t.v. larger than about 13" so he or she could see all of the aliasing and combing and other horrible distortions, and realize it certainly ain't worth $19.95 (nor, for my money, even a dollar). Colin actually called me back the following day (which was pretty cool, actually) to tell me there had been no complaints about the disc from anyone but me, but I suggested that was because they only just started to carry it for sale.... give it time! Colin promised he would get my message to the appropriate people and perhaps put a little pressure on MGM to do a new transfer -- how hard could that be? There really do seem to be quite a few of us who would like to purchase a decent-looking DVD of this suspense classic. I doubt it will come to anything, but I tried,

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,839 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 14 2012 - 12:28 AM

And thanks for your efforts! I was a teenager when I first saw the movie, and it made an indelible impression on me. I realize its flaws now, but it's still a movie capable of generating very fine entertainment. It certainly deserves more loving care and attention than it has been given with the shoddy MGM MOD release now available.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 12:45 AM

Good for you, but of course, the problem is that it's an MGM product which the Archive are only selling as a third party. Unlike the Archive discs from Warner, where they are Warner products sold by Warner. Ultimately they can only have as much infuence over MGM discs as, say, Amazon might though I guess they could threaten to end the partnership selling if the products are bringing the Archive into disrepute. I doubt that's going to happen though. It's a great shame because The Satan Bug is quite visual, espescially the opening scenes of the desert around Station Three.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 05:20 AM

Is it any worse than the print TCM has run for years?

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 05:36 AM

Is it any worse than the print TCM has run for years?

Yes.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Richard Kaufman

Richard Kaufman

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 15 2012 - 02:23 PM

I've got the laser disc of The Satan Bug (always was a Richard Basehart fan) and it looks pretty good when upconverted.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 887 posts
  • LocationMenifee, CA

Posted February 15 2012 - 03:51 PM

MGM HD showed a beautiful HD print when they aired it on their channel last month! Funny they haven't released anything on BD that they've shown on their HD channel.
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 04:50 AM

Thanks for your efforts Dick! I also enjoy this film and would buy the DVD-R so long as a better print was used.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 05:33 AM

I've got the laser disc of The Satan Bug (always was a Richard Basehart fan) and it looks pretty good when upconverted.

There was a laserdisc on this?

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,839 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 16 2012 - 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by DeWilson 

There was a laserdisc on this?

Yes indeed.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Richard Kaufman

Richard Kaufman

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 04:44 AM

There are lasers on a lot of things that haven't made it to DVD.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 06:30 AM

Including The Keep :(

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 07:18 AM

There are lasers on a lot of things that haven't made it to DVD.

I know that - I wish there was a database someplace listing all films released on LD not on DVD

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted February 17 2012 - 07:27 AM

I wish there was a database someplace listing all films released on LD not on DVD

There's this: http://dadons-laserd....com/not-on-dvd Not sure how up to date it is, though.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Richard Kaufman

Richard Kaufman

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 18 2012 - 04:39 AM

Yes, I watched The Keep not long ago as well. As soon as I got a Gefen upconverter, my laser discs became watchable again.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 09:03 AM

There's this: http://dadons-laserd....com/not-on-dvd Not sure how up to date it is, though.

thanks

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 05:30 AM

How is it that it made it to laser disc and never to (pressed) dvd??

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Richard Kaufman

Richard Kaufman

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 10:43 AM

There are many films on laser that never made it to DVD. There's a website that lists them ... somewhere.