What's new

Receiver STR-DG520 and Roku (1 Viewer)

staceybassoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Stacey Jamison
Help me, wise home theater guru's, you're my only hope! So I got a Roku box last week. It has two options for output - RCA and HDMI. Both cannot run at the same time. The RCA works fine, but obviously I want to use the HDMI (which is why I got the model I did). As you may know about this particular receiver, it only does HDMI pass-through, and not full HDMI. I didn't realize this until trying to get this all to work for the last week. We already have one of the HDMI ports being used by our BluRay player, accompanied by the optical line. The second HDMI port, and the available one calls for an HDMI cable and a COAX. Well, the Roku doesn't have a COAX option for audio. Is there anything I can do to set-up the HDMI to work anyway? Some mysterious solution in the way of a cord, converter, or fancy footwork that I don't know about? My back-up solution doesn't work either. I was just going to plug it directly into the 1 HDMI port on my TV, which is how the receiver is hooked up for BluRay. I did that, I get a picture but NO AUDIO. I have talked to two Sony techs and one Roku tech, none of whom could help me. The Sony techs are useless. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm just not ok with this not working... :confused::confused::confused: Thanks! Stacey

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
And I suppose the Bluray player doesn't have Coax, just Optical? If it does just swap the Bluray (using coax) and the Roku (using optical). If the BR player doesn't have Coax then try one of these optical/coax converters. I've never used them before but they're under $30 so maybe worth a try. BTW, cute kid. :)

staceybassoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Stacey Jamison
How can I use optical if there is no connection on the Roku for that? What am I missing? Thanks, I think he's pretty cute myself :P

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm sorry. I forgot to post the link. use one of these to convert the Roku's optical connection to a coaxial connection. http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-40429-Dual-Output-Digital/dp/B001DF2KC2/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

staceybassoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Stacey Jamison
My Roku doesn't have an optical connection. I read this evening that they have taken that off the new ones... :(

staceybassoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Stacey Jamison
I found a signal splitter tonight that other Roku users have tried. I will see if that works! Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks