What's new

The 2012 American Idol #11 HTF RAF MEMORIAL TOP TEN CHALLENGE (1 Viewer)

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Thinking I'll be taking a hit with placing Elise at 9th after her rendition of that Zep classic tonite - she nailed it....
EDIT - OOoops = forgot the 'reshuffle' - she's 8th but still little solace there....

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor /t/318418/the-2012-american-idol-11-htf-raf-memorial-top-ten-challenge/30#post_3911435
Thinking I'll be taking a hit with placing Elise at 9th after her rendition of that Zep classic tonite - she nailed it....

As much as I agree with you that Elise did brilliantly, for the purposes of AI it's all about the viewing audience, which forms the voting public -- and how many Led Zep fans even watch Idol, let alone vote?

Having said that, IMHO there wasn't an obvious "in trouble" performance, save that Colton's seemed rather bland to me, so I don't get the love at all. Hence my putting him in the "I have no clue at all" box of unpicked contestants.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It'll be interesting to see how Elise does. Obviously there aren't a lot of Zep fans voting, but that might've been one of the greatest Idol performances of all time (especially considering how out of left field it was).

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
If this show was The Voice, I certainly think Elise may end up taking it all. I'm just glad she was high on my list from the start now that I have seen her range really open up more. It was a surprise to most, but I always saw her as a gravel voice rocker like Joplin or even Stevie Nicks.
At least Heejun is now gone, I thought he was more or less just clowning around on stage and never took what he was doing seriously. It was almost like he was saying, look, the more you show off like it is Star Search and not anything really professional, then you will hang around no matter what. :rolleyes: Finally, his little side show is gone.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Jimmy Iovine nailed it on the head, Steven's tough love the previous week forced Heejun to wake up and get serious. He did well IMHO, but it was too late. Conversely, Elise may have won herself a few fans with her good performances these past two weeks, and has avoided bottom 3.

Results:-

Yee Ming 8

Tony D 9

Carl Miller 7

Aaron Silverman 12

NolanJ 11

Patrick Sun 9

Phil Taylor 9

Jeffrey_H 6

Yay me, I got Heejun spot-on! As did Tony, while Jeffrey omitted Heejun entirely. Curiously, our former frontrunner Patrick took a relatively big hit on Heejun and more than doubled his score. But most didn't rate Heejun highly and it was otherwise mostly small scores.

It's still a close contest, the spread is only 6 from first to last and anything can happen...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I feared it was Hollie going home last night. Heejun wasn't as big of a shocker as Seacrest had promoted the show with in the afternoon.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun /t/318418/the-2012-american-idol-11-htf-raf-memorial-top-ten-challenge/30#post_3911872
I feared it was Hollie going home last night. Heejun wasn't as big of a shocker as Seacrest had promoted the show with in the afternoon.
For promo purposes, I guess every vote-off is a "shocker". It wouldn't be very interesting if Seacrest disclosed that the one voted off was completely foreseeable, would it? From their perspective they'd argue that because Heejun had possibly his best performance so far, that getting voted off after it was a 'shocker'.

I've always found it marginally amusing that each week, the contestants are so teary about whoever gets voted off. But (bar the save) every week without fail SOMEBODY is going home, so why? And there's little display of relief that "it wasn't me". OK, I suppose it's hard to say goodbye to a friend, and being happy about surviving, at someone else's expense, isn't quite PC. But the audience keeps 'booing' the vote-off too. And did they really expect the judges to 'save' Heejun?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Bye bye Milli Vanilli wanna-be DeAndre. Remarkably, SIX of us omitted him from our lineups and score 0 this week (making compiling this week's results the easiest ever), while the other two had placed him 10th and score just 2.

Results:-

Jeffrey_H 6

Carl Miller 7

Yee Ming 8

Phil Taylor 9
Tony D 11
NolanJ 11

Patrick Sun 11

Aaron Silverman 12

Only 6 pts in it from top to bottom, it's still anyone's competition to win. Although at this rate the "Dheiner line" is probably in no danger of being breached this season; only 3 are still below 9, and there are seven weeks to go.

Just a reminder, if the save is used, and the following week two contestants are booted, unless it is completely clear what order they leave, we treat them as having left together and split the positions, e.g. next week is #7, if the save is used and both leave the next week, both are scored at #6.5.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Prediction on this week:
It will be either Philip or Hollie going home. Really hope it's not Hollie though, I think she can sing better than Philip or Coulton, just hasn't had some good breaks and the songs were a bit off for her.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Two will be gone next week with no save. I think their bottom 3 that was "saved" somehow this week (Phillip, Coulton, Hollie) was really the actual bottom 3 and will be next week too.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
No elimination so no change in our standings.

Has there been any formal statement or indication that next week will see two voted off? While this has been the pattern in years past, this year with Jermaine's disqualification, the season would otherwise be one week short, so they can 'make it up' by not having a double-elimination next week.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Man, last nights show I thought was a real stink bomb. Maybe it was me since I'm a long way from the current trend and the age group, but those were not good song choices at all. That's why I like to see what they can do with other decades and such, because this was a disaster except for a few. I don't know what the judges are thinking, but to me Hollie doing an Adele song that is so custom made for that artist sounds like cheap Keroke no matter what you try to do with it. Also, Haily last year did the exact same song! Josh was about the only one I thought did well, but still not my favorite choices for him.
Tonight, I think the bottom 3 are: Alise, Hollie and Coulton

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Slightly surprising result, of the bottom 3 I thought it would be Elise, then when she was safe I thought it would be Hollie. Guess Colton's 'bad song choice', per Jimmy, really cost him, considering this was his first -- and now only/last -- trip into the bottom 3 (cf. Jimmy's snide remarks about Elise having a 'vacation home' in the bottom 3).

Our results:-

Jeffrey_H 6

Yee Ming 8

Carl Miller 10

Tony D 13

NolanJ 13

Phil Taylor 15

Patrick Sun 16

Aaron Silverman 16

Poor Phil took a big hit, having placed Colton as his winner, as did Patrick having him at #2. Conversely, Jeffrey got Colton's #7 placing spot-on. (And I scored 0 having omitted Colton entirely.)

Going forward: Jeffrey and I have our respective top 6s intact, but in rather different positions: in particular, I have Phillip as the winner, Jeffrey has him at #6. Nolan's top 5 is also intact, although he's already 7 pts behind Jeffrey. Carl needs Hollie (his #9) to go soon, otherwise she'll cost him lots of points; otherwise his predictions aren't that far off either from the remaining top 6. Offhand I'd say the likely winner is between these 4, with Tony having an outside chance if Phillip and Skylar go in the next 2 weeks (his #6 & 7). Unfortunately, for the current bottom 3 it'll just get worse since many of their #6-10 predictions are still in the contest, and they rack up more points the longer they continue.

With Colton going, that leaves Phillip as the sole WG. And with Colton's relatively early elimination, Phillip has time to win over Colton's fanbase. If that analysis is correct, Phillip is now a lock for the finale, and possibly as winner -- which would be great for me, and would hit Jeffrey and Tony for 5 pts. Carl & Nolan have also placed Phillip quite high, so it would then be between us 3, at least in relation to just Phillip's impact on our contest.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I thought last night was pretty good overall for most. The standouts for improvements went to Hollie and Alise, which I think will be enough to keep them in the top 5. Conversely, Phillip I thought performed the worst and his act is getting a bit old, not having near the vocal talent of the girls or Joshua.
Tongiht, I think bottom 3 will be: Phillip, Jessica and Hollie with Phillip most likely going home.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Phillip doesn't need to have the vocal "talent" of the others. He can sing his style of music well and performs well for the most part. I'll take that any day over bland AI power ballads. That said, I thought Hollie picked the best songs and performed well.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I like Alise, but I don't think she has really hit one out yet and not sure even a rock oriented week will help her.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
So Elise's 'vacation home in the bottom 3' has turned into her permanent residence.

Our results:-

Yee Ming 9

Jeffrey_H 10

Carl Miller 10

Tony D 13

NolanJ 15

Phil Taylor 17

Aaron Silverman 17

Patrick Sun 19

Well done Carl for getting this spot-on; Tony had omitted Elise and doesn't score anything either. And with Jeffrey having placed Elise in the finale and getting hit for 4, we have a new leader... errrm... yours truly...

With Elise gone, I think the most likely contestant to pick up some of her fanbase would be Skylar, the most 'rock' of the remaining 3 girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks