-

Photo
- - - - -

Roadshows that need a bluray release

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 of 66 trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 11:48 AM

STAR- HELLO DOLLY- DOCTOR DOLITTLE - AGONY AND ECTASY PAINT YOUR WAGON FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE GOODBYE MR CHIPS HAWAII ICE STATION ZEBRA RYANS DAUGHTER SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN MAGNIFICENT MEN IN FLYING MACHINES OLIVER FUNNY GIRL SWEET CHARITY SONG OF NORWAY LION IN WINTER MAN FOR ALL SEASONS THE BLUE MAX FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD IS PARIS BURNING? NICOLAS AND ALEXANDRA

#2 of 66 trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 11:58 AM

KHARTOUM

#3 of 66 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted February 10 2012 - 12:13 PM

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS

#4 of 66 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted February 10 2012 - 12:23 PM

I second "Around the World in 80 Days". This is probably my third favorite film of all time.

#5 of 66 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted February 10 2012 - 12:24 PM

Let me add the most neglected and unfairly treated of the 70mm films: Porgy and Bess.

#6 of 66 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 12:32 PM

I fear any of the majors doing Blu Rays of my favorites on this list in the near future since they are more clueless than ever as to what roadshows are or how they should be handled. I propose doing a PSA video like Scorcese and Roger Ebert did for letterboxing. I would begin by making a list of what movies have what roadshow elements and alert studios to stop leaving them out, (Scrooge) misplacing them (Cleopatra) mishandling them (West Side Story) and list a set of specs for how best to handle these films. Example: Onscreen menu should function/look like a show scrim in a legit theatre because we may have guests over and want to just have the title logo art on the screen silently instead of noisy repetitive animated short video loops that use music or images we will see soon in the movie. Roadshows should be authored with different play options: in addition to "play entire movie" add "Roadshow presentation" with "act one" "act two" options so the playback would stop at the intermission. Another option to play through the movie with at least enough of a pause after the intermission title to give the viewer a chance to stop play before the Entracte comes up. Never throw up the words "Overture" "Entracte" "Exit Music" on screen, offer choice of black screen options or an image of curtains or something that looks like a show drop with the original ad art. it should be explained to studio folks that the Entracte is not the intermission, so they should stop putting the intermission title over the Entracte. I'd like to see them add images of the souvenir book big enough to read on screen and an option to print one out as a PDF.

#7 of 66 trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 12:55 PM

LORD JIM

#8 of 66 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,708 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 10 2012 - 12:59 PM

Let's add -

The Alamo

Circus World

El Cid

The Hallelujah Trail

And I agree with NY2LA suggestions.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#9 of 66 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 01:10 PM

A few that come to mind that haven't been mentioned... Cheyenne Autumn Barabbas Judgment at Nuremberg The Big Fisherman Exodus...R1

#10 of 66 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 01:29 PM

Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm Thoroughly Modern Millie The Happiest Millionaire Oh, and as much as possible, include photos of theatres that played the original roadshow engagements, so people could see how special these engagements were; always include the original presentation cues wherever available. How about PDFs that could also be printed small enough to slip into booklet clips of case? Or big enough to be posters...

#11 of 66 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 677 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 11 2012 - 04:19 AM

The Great Race

#12 of 66 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 11 2012 - 04:35 AM

DVR alert, till hopefuly it shows on Blu soon, but sunday TCM has the Restored Roadshow Version of Funny Girl at 8PM EST

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#13 of 66 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted February 11 2012 - 05:40 AM

DVR alert, till hopefuly it shows on Blu soon, but sunday TCM has the Restored Roadshow Version of Funny Girl at 8PM EST 

I'll check that out when it turns up on Sony's HD channel or Hdnet Movies.

#14 of 66 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted February 11 2012 - 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by NY2LA 

I fear any of the majors doing Blu Rays of my favorites on this list in the near future since they are more clueless than ever as to what roadshows are or how they should be handled.
I propose doing a PSA video like Scorcese and Roger Ebert did for letterboxing.
I would begin by making a list of what movies have what roadshow elements and alert studios to stop leaving them out, (Scrooge) misplacing them (Cleopatra) mishandling them (West Side Story) and list a set of specs for how best to handle these films.
Example: Onscreen menu should function/look like a show scrim in a legit theatre because we may have guests over and want to just have the title logo art on the screen silently instead of noisy repetitive animated short video loops that use music or images we will see soon in the movie.
Roadshows should be authored with different play options: in addition to "play entire movie" add "Roadshow presentation" with "act one" "act two" options so the playback would stop at the intermission. Another option to play through the movie with at least enough of a pause after the intermission title to give the viewer a chance to stop play before the Entracte comes up.
Never throw up the words "Overture" "Entracte" "Exit Music" on screen, offer choice of black screen options or an image of curtains or something that looks like a show drop with the original ad art. it should be explained to studio folks that the Entracte is not the intermission, so they should stop putting the intermission title over the Entracte.
I'd like to see them add images of the souvenir book big enough to read on screen and an option to print one out as a PDF.

I agree with you, though I don't mind the words "Overture" "Entracte" "Exit Music" on screen - at least when over a black field.

Most Roadshows are better than regular films in terms of presentation quality - mainly because they were shot in 70MM and had elaborate suround sound mixes.

Roadshows were also more expensive and most of the time that expense showns on the screen.

Last night I watched the new Blu-ray of "Shakespeare in Love" (A wonderful film by the way) it looked fantastic on blu - then I watched the 1962 "Mutiny on the Bounty"  - the quality of this 50 year old film looked just as good as "SiL" (1998) - mainly due to the fact it was a 70MM production (and being a period piece it didn't seem stuck in 1962 - the film could have been made last year - it looks that good)

Some Roadshow films will look incredible on Blu-ray:

Ryan's Daughter

Hello, Dolly

Cleopatra

Lawrence of Arabia

Those Maginificent Men in their Flying Machines

"Patton" (when issued with out excessive DNR)

"My Fair Lady" (When issued from the stored 70MM elements and not the 35MM DVD transfer slapped on to blu-ray as CBS issued last October)

Other Roadshows were 35MM blow-ups - they will also look good but not as good as the films listed above.  These include "Funny Girl" "Oliver"  "The Lion in Winter (which need a digital restoration to remove the white flecks and specs) "The Blue Max" "A Man For All Seasons"

These films should be handled the way Criterion handles their film - since they really are above average and many considered cinema classics in their own right

#15 of 66 trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted February 11 2012 - 06:48 AM

DOCTOR DOLITTLE will also look great with a TODD-AO transfer. Saw it in TODD-AO in Detroit at the United Artists theater and it looked almost 3-D.

#16 of 66 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted February 11 2012 - 07:02 AM

Best Roadshow releases on Blu-ray (from a Tech level, and not judging the artistic quality of the actual movie):

The Best Roadshow releases on Blu-ray to Date (Highly recommended)

Gone With the Wind (Warner Bros.)

The Ten Commandment (Paramount)

Bridge on the River Kwai (Sony)

South Pacific (Fox)

Ben Hur (Warner Bros.)

King of Kings (Warner Bros.)

Mutiny on the Bounty (Warner Bros.)

How the West Was Won (Warner Bros.)

The Sound of Music (Fox)

Doctor Zhivago (Warner Bros.

Battle of the Bugle (Warner Bros.)

The Bible (Fox)

The Sand Pebbles (Fox)

Grand Prix (Warner Bros.)

2001 a Space Odyssey (Warner Bros.)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (MGM)

Fiddler on the Roof (MGM)

Not bad but could have been better - but still worth purchasing

MGM releases that come close but missed along the way (like missing overtures or transfer errors)

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (MGM)

West Side Story (MGM)

The Worst Roadshow releases on Blu-ray to Date (Avoid at all costs)

My Fair Lady (Paramount/CBS) transfer/element problems

The Greatest Story Ever Told (MGM) DVD transfered to Blu-ray with no effort in quality
Patton (Fox) - DNR problems

The Longest Day (Fox) - DNR problems

Spartacus (Universal) - DNR/transfer (not as good as Criterion's DVD)

Note this is not a complete list

#17 of 66 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted February 11 2012 - 07:11 AM

I would add Gone With the Wind to Best Roadshow Releases To Date.

#18 of 66 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted February 11 2012 - 09:24 AM

A few notes: -- Was The Bridge on the River Kwai considered a roadshow (in the US at any rate)? I never heard that it was. -- King of Kings was a road show and the Blu-ray is pretty good. -- There are a few other titles not released in the US yet such as Cleopatra, El Cid (and other Bronston) Otherwise, good list.

#19 of 66 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,823 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted February 11 2012 - 09:44 AM

SOLOMON AND SHEBA hasn't been mentioned. Picture quality looks great on the MGM HD channel.

#20 of 66 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted February 11 2012 - 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by rsmithjr 

A few notes:
-- Was The Bridge on the River Kwai considered a roadshow (in the US at any rate)? I never heard that it was.
-- King of Kings was a road show and the Blu-ray is pretty good.
-- There are a few other titles not released in the US yet such as Cleopatra, El Cid (and other Bronston)
Otherwise, good list.

I have "King of Kings" but wasn't impressed with the movie - found the film long and boring

The Blu-ray on the other hand is of excellent quality and I'll add it to the list

I believe "Bridge over the River Kwai" was a reserved seat attraction at least in New York