What's new

Shout Factory Press Release: Route 66: The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just in Time for Father’s Day

Iconic American Classic Hits Home Entertainment Shelves Everywhere

ROUTE 66: THE COMPLETE SERIES

finally, the entire series in a collectible 24-dvd box set

featuring all 116 original episodes restored, exciting dvd bonus content,

a special “value add” dvd great cars: corvette and much more!

82872e9a_route66.jpeg

PRE-ORDER NOW TO BRING HOME

YOUR OWN PIECE OF AMERICANA ON DVD

IN STORES NATIONWIDE MAY 22, 2012 FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

Let’s shift the year 2012 into high gear and take a ride down the famed American highway Route 66 with renowned television classic ROUTE 66. Shout! Factory’s ROUTE 66: THE COMPLETE SERIES 24-DVD box set debuts for the first time on home entertainment shelves everywhere on May 22, 2012. Boasting all 116 original episodes spanning four TV seasons from 1960-1964, ROUTE 66 is one of the most highly rated drama series from the era. Brimming with intriguing characters, smart writing and featuring its timeless Nelson Riddle theme song, ROUTE 66 has endured ever since as a symbol of the original road trip drama. Moreover, this enduring television classic not only immortalized the scenic stretch of American highway, but further established Corvette as the iconic American sports car.

ROUTE 66: THE COMPLETE SERIES contains insightful DVD extras, a special “value add” Great Cars: Corvette DVD – a thrilling, in-depth look at the legendary sports car and more! A perfect Father’s Day gift and a must-have collection for television fans, collectors and vintage car enthusiasts to complete their library, ROUTE 66: THE COMPLETE SERIES 24-DVD has a suggested retail price of $129.99. This DVD box set is now available for preorder atAmazon.com, ShoutFactoryStore.com and other online retailers.

Pre-order Link: http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257698

To further celebrate the release of ROUTE 66: THE COMPLETE SERIES, Shout! Factory is offering a FREE collection of ringtone-ready MP3s of the iconic Nelson Riddle theme song at ShoutFactory.com

Created by Academy Award®-winning writer Stirling Silliphant and producer Herbert Leonard, ROUTE 66 stars Martin Milner, George Maharis and later Glenn Corbett. Throughout its four season run, this series featured an impressive list of guest stars, including Barbara Eden, Buster Keaton, Boris Karloff, Burt Reynolds, Cloris Leachman, Ed Asner, James Caan, Joan Crawford, Julie Newmar, Lee Marvin, Leslie Nielsen, Martin Sheen, Peter Lorre, Robert Duvall, Robert Redford, Rod Steiger, Ron Howard, Suzanne Pleshette, Walter Matthau, among other notables.

Yale graduate Tod Stiles (Martin Milner) is an intellectual who has led a privileged and sheltered life. Buz Murdock (George Maharis) is a tough young man, raised in "Hell's Kitchen," struggling his entire life just to survive. When his wealthy father dies, Tod finds himself unexpectedly penniless with just one possession, a Chevrolet Corvette. On a quest to find adventure – and themselves – Tod and Buz hit the open road in the ultimate American journey.
ROUTE 66: THE COMPLETE SERIES DVD BONUS CONTENT:

• Shout! Factory’s production unit is currently shaping the final form of special features. We will continue to keep you updated.

• SPECIAL “VALUE ADD” DVD - Great Cars: Corvette
Returning from World War II, many soldiers told stories of the loves they’d left behind. or some, it was a mechanical sweetheart — the European sports car. So, the nation was primed for the debut of the 1953 Corvette, a fiberglass two-seater that was the first mass-produced American sports car. The first car was more show than go, but over the years Corvette has evolved from a cute-looking roadster to the menacing Sting Ray, and now to one of the world’s sleekest, sexiest and fastest high-tech sports cars.

In late 2011, Shout! Factory acquired extensive proprietary rights to the classic TV series ROUTE 66, including all original episodes, its archived materials, worldwide home entertainment and digital rights and North American broadcast rights.

Follow Route 66 on FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Route-66/142698252494737

About Shout! Factory
Code:
[size=4][FONT=helvetica]Shout! Factory is a diversified entertainment company devoted to producing, uncovering and revitalizing the very best of pop culture. Founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos have spent their careers sharing their music, television and film faves with discerning consumers the world over. Shout! Factory’s DVD offerings serve up classic, contemporary and cult TV series, riveting sports programs, live music, animation and documentaries in lavish packages crammed with extras. The company’s audio catalogue boasts GRAMMY®-nominated boxed sets, new releases from storied artists, lovingly [/FONT][/SIZE][size=3][FONT=times]assembled album reissues and indispensable “best of” compilations. These riches are the result of a creative acquisitions mandate that has established the company as a hotbed of cultural preservation and commercial reinvention. Shout! Factory is based in Santa Monica, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit [/FONT][/SIZE][size=3][FONT=times][url=http://www.shoutfactory.com/]www.shoutfactory.com[/url][/FONT][/SIZE][size=3][FONT=times].[/FONT][/SIZE]

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
When I heard Shout had the rights and knowing there was only one season to go, I was afraid it would come out as a complete set. I wonder if there will be any plans to release the last season separately.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Agggh...if only Shout had gotten their hands on this first and saved us the years of Roxbury releases! This would definitely have been a day one purchase for me.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
smithb said:
When I heard Shout had the rights and knowing there was only one season to go, I was afraid it would come out as a complete set. I wonder if there will be any plans to release the last season separately.
I sure hope so. Do not want to double dip. Not at over $100 for the series.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Now that Route 66 will be complete, I'm waiting for that other great series which stalled out one season short of completion: The Untouchables

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I'm glad that Shout got this - now we'll see a corrected season 1 as well as the missing fourth season.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I got those first two sets but not the third one. However, DD doubled up on 1 and it was to expensive to ship back as they insist from my country. I have tried ever since to sell it at a market(unopened) and online but no takers. Heard people talk about it amongst themselves, though, but not to me. With Route 66 it looks like that if Amazon have it I will complete the series, which I saw when it was new, by buying the set. However, in recent years Shout have had some series where one has to buy direct from them or the later series after a general release of Series 1 &/or two of a show only available that way. None of those have been issued in my country despite Shout saying they have given international rights out of those US 'Exclusives'. Network in UK also is having limited time available 'Exclusives' and the prohibitive postage for exported orders(40 pounds). If you don't get some of those quickly they might be gone before the close of period but if you buy them piecemeal like that the annual cost for delivery who look bad in the books. Not a fair situation to the customers. Sure they use a courier service(and I did not get advantage of that considering the cost I paid) that can land the parcel at your door in about two days but you have to know it is coming and be home or they take it away if you don't answer door. No e-mails and thus on Friday that happened to me and I missed the guy by 10mins because I was coming home from a funeral of a collector of film & books way on the other side of my large city. They left a card, sure, but they refused to have him come back until next week.

Other shows from this period would include Cannonball which I also enjoyed at the time. Plenty of westerns from Timeless but not the dramas & comedies yet to see a DVD release, if indeed complete series still exist. The Littlest Hobo never seems to have got any further than what was issued a few years ago.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Mike*HTF said:
I'm glad that Shout got this - now we'll see a corrected season 1 as well as the missing fourth season.
Corrected in what way? The Shout announcement mentions restored but that doesn't necessarily mean they are much improved from the previous sets. I would think if season 1 was vastly improved they would be more expressive about it in their announcement. Especially, knowing many are on the fence about having to basically rebuy three seasons to get one new one.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, I hope Shout comes through on this. Since it's an absolute favorite of my (for the Stilliphant writing and location filming), I'm on board for the whole thing in one package. We'll lose some of the decent packaging for the Roxbury sets, but hopefully also lose those awful Season 1, Volume 1 transfers. But I'm commited and already traded in my sets to Amazon to purchase this. Give us something to Shout about.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Hollywoodaholic said:
Well, I hope Shout comes through on this. Since it's an absolute favorite of my (for the Stilliphant writing and location filming), I'm on board for the whole thing in one package. We'll lose some of the decent packaging for the Roxbury sets, but hopefully also lose those awful Season 1, Volume 1 transfers. But I'm commited and already traded in my sets to Amazon to purchase this. Give us something to Shout about.
I concur, except I never liked the Roxbury packaging and so i'm looking forward to something more Barney Miller like instead. Luckily, the trade in scenario wasn't that bad. Especially given season 1 is OOP.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Looking forward to this release! When I heard reviews about the dark contrast of the previous Season 1 Vol. 1 release, I steered cleared of the rest, being satisfied with the TV prints instead. I'd be fascinated to learn more news on the bonus features when they're available. Well done to all at Shout! for acquiring all the rights to this wonderful show and making this new release possible.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
A potential negative to this release is the reference to a 24 disk collection. The previous sets were 8 disks per season or 24 disks for the first three seasons. That equates to 4 episodes a disk, which has become pretty standard for 50 minutes episodes. However, according to the listing the new set will be 5 episodes per season. That is a bit tight. It makes one wonder why they are pushing additional compression on this set. So while everyone is assuming/hoping this complete collection will be better then the previous sets, the first indiciation is that it could be worse.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The two things I have concerns about are the references to 24 discs and "restored". I only have season 1 and would definitely be interested in a complete series set if they significantly upgrade the Roxbury sets. Shout should also release the individual seasons separately, or at least season 4, or a lot of people are going to be unhappy. I am going to wait to hear more about this release before I purchase it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Nice artwork for Shout's complete series boxset of Route 66. Was interested in the sets of the first three seasons already released (had read that the aspect ratio had been altered and later corrected). Would be getting this set because of Adam-12's Martin Milner being in it. However, I'm also concerned by the "24 discs" part of the press release. Ideally, it would be 29 discs, with four episodes on each disc (not including for possible DVD extras which can't be fitted onto any of the discs, so it could be more than 29 discs).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb /t/318411/shout-factory-press-release-route-66-the-complete-series#post_3896535
A potential negative to this release is the reference to a 24 disk collection. The previous sets were 8 disks per season or 24 disks for the first three seasons. That equates to 4 episodes a disk, which has become pretty standard for 50 minutes episodes. However, according to the listing the new set will be 5 episodes per season. That is a bit tight. It makes one wonder why they are pushing additional compression on this set. So while everyone is assuming/hoping this complete collection will be better then the previous sets, the first indiciation is that it could be worse.
I was just talking about this very thing the other day with a friend after the news came out, Brad. 24 discs is definitely too few, imho. There are almost never more than four hour long episodes on any pressed disc when these type of shows are released. Trying to squeeze five onto each disc isn't encouraging news to me. I hope Shout reconsiders that plan (although at this point, with the release date only 2 months away, I have to think these things may already be at the factory).

Gary "what could they possibly be thinking?" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Brad asked Brian Ward at the Shout board about the 5 episode per disc/bit rate issue. It was a good question and Brian answered forthrightly. Brad has made an astute follow-up comment too! Good job, buddy.

Gary "it's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out, quality wise" O.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I have the first three seasons on DVD, might as well get the complete series with moolah out of my tax refunds, and when I do, I would start watching the season four eps first!

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Gary OS said:
Brad asked Brian Ward at the Shout board about the 5 episode per disc/bit rate issue.  It was a good question and Brian answered forthrightly.  Brad has made an astute follow-up comment too!  Good job, buddy.
Gary "it's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out, quality wise" O.
At first I misread this post and missed the word "board" so I was expecting an answer to follow. :laugh:
At least it made me go searching the Shout board, being the first time I've viewed it. Thanks Brad for asking the questions to the answers we all want to know and to Gary for guiding the way.
Here's the link for anyone interested: http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/5326/thread.aspx#axzz1mImQCdXP
(Hope that's ok to put that link up? I'm still quite new here so if I've been a naughty boy, please advise and I'll remove it.)

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Just to add, I was not aware of the 5 episodes per disc scenario before I read Brad's post. I must admit I'm still a bit confused about what Brian Ward said about the variable bit rates being a simple setting that allows the computer to decide. :confused: Can anyone explain that in layman terms?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
PatrickGoodluck said:
Just to add, I was not aware of the 5 episodes per disc scenario before I read Brad's post. I must admit I'm still a bit confused about what Brian Ward said about the variable bit rates being a simple setting that allows the computer to decide. :confused: Can anyone explain that in layman terms?
I will give it a shot, but I'm not an expert. Basically, with film you have a completely independent image per frame. However, to do the same when converted to digital would create a very large file. So compression algorithms are used in an attempt to keep quality while shrinking the file and transmission size (e.g., how many bytes have to be transmitted to produce the video output). That is where the bitrate comes into play. The higher the bitrate the more data is kept per frame and the higher the quality of the image.
A constant bitrate means that the transistion between frames is compressed equally. This negatively effects high motion transitions more then relatively static ones because more information is being changed between scenes, yet they are treated equally. That is where variable bitrates can make an improvement. Without increasing the overall amount of data transmitted or the file size, motions transitions can maintain more data (or be at a higher bitrate) then the more static transitions. Thus, providing a relatively constant quality during viewing (i.e. variable bitrate = more constant quality throughout, constant bitrate = varying quality throughout)
When you encode (compress) video through a computer program, you can usually choose a constant or variable bitrate. If you choose a variable bitrate, the computer usually performs two passes through the video. The first pass is to analyze the amount of transition between scenes so that when it encodes the video on the second pass it can smartly determine how much compression to use between transitions (i.e., the more the change the higher the bitrate used and vice versa). It should not be difficult for a computer to properly analyze how to best vary the bitrate to get the best quality. And it is usually nothing more then a setting within the computer application doing the encoding. I'm not sure how someone "eye balling" the video as it plays can do a better job of determining the best bitrate from scene to scene then a computer, but I could be wrong.
Others can correct me if I misspoke, but I hope that helps in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks