Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Announcement: Meet Joe Black (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,574 posts

Posted February 09 2012 - 04:03 AM

Promotion: May 2012 Blu-ray Releases
Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 5/1/2012

MEET JOE BLACK

Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal
Theatrical Release: 11/13/1998
Synopsis: Brad Pitt and Academy Award®-winner Anthony Hopkins star in Meet Joe Black, this beautifully directed tale of life and death. Bill Parish (Hopkins) has it all - success, wealth and power. Days before his 65th birthday he receives a visit from a mysterious stranger, Joe Black (Pitt), who soon reveals himself as Death. In exchange for extra time, Bill agrees to serve as Joe's earthly guide. But will he regret his choice when Joe unexpectedly falls in love with Bill's beautiful daughter Susan (Claire Forlani).

Blu-ray Widescreen (61119644) : Disc 1 (Side A) 
 Format:  Blu-ray  UPC:  0-2519-21123-0-0
 Unit Type:  Standard  Number of Media:  1
 Street Date:  5/1/2012  PreOrder Date:   
 Run Time (HH:MM):  3 Hours 1 Minute    
 Language:  English  Disc Type:  BD-50 (Single Sided)
 Packaging:  Snap Case  Layers:  Single
 Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
French European DTS 5.1 Surround

Subtitles:  English SDH
Spanish

Edition:  -  Picture:  Widescreen
 Version:  -  Color/B&W COLOR 
 Rating:  PG-13  CARA Rating:  -
 Bonus Features:  • Spotlight On Location: The Making of Meet Joe Black
• Production Photographs Montage
• My Scenes

DVD Widescreen (61020531) : Disc 1 (Side A) 
 Format:  DVD  UPC:  0-2519-20531-2-2
 Unit Type:  Standard  Number of Media:  -
 Street Date:  11/13/2007  PreOrder Date:  11/6/2007
 Run Time (HH:MM):  3 Hours    
 Language:  English  Disc Type:  DVD-9 (Single Sided)
 Packaging:  Snap Case  Layers:  Single
 Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Subtitles:  English SDH

Edition:  -  Picture:  Anamorphic Widescreen
 Version:  -  Color/B&W COLOR 
 Rating:  PG-13  CARA Rating:  [deleted]An Accident Scene, Some Sexuality and Brief Strong Language
 Bonus Features:  • Spotlight on Location
• Production Notes
• Cast and Filmmakers
• Theatrical Trailer

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 09 2012 - 04:44 PM

I guess I'll need to keep my Meet Joe Black Ultimate edition for Death Takes a Holiday, oh well.
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 891 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted February 09 2012 - 05:15 PM

MEET JOE BLACK is an over-indulgent production which can't hold a candle to the excellent original, DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY. I've seen a 35mm print of DEATH, and it, rather than JOE B, should be a BD release.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 01:19 AM

I love this movie. In fact, I already got the Blu-ray from the UK. Still, I'm glad to see it finally being released on Blu-ray in the U.S.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted February 10 2012 - 04:44 AM

I declined to see it in original release in Santa Monica. After seeing the DVD, I regretted that decision. This is a powerful and wonderful film. Some of the sequences have their own poetry. Brad Pitt really comes through in showing us what life and love are like. Death and taxes.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 891 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted February 10 2012 - 05:46 AM

I respect everybody's right to love a film that I myself could barely sit through. I saw both DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY and MEET JOE BLACK in 35mm prints. I saw DTAH first and admired the charm and grace that Fredric March brought to the role of Death/Prince Sirkin. One could understand how Grazia could fall in love with dashing Death and follow him. And all this was accomplished in 79 minutes! Then I saw MJB, which went on for 178 minutes, same plot, same results; which turned the charming Prince/Death into an uncouth country bumpkin; and which gave Anthony Hopkins way too much screen time when the real conflict was whether Claire Forlani would choose death over life and follow Brad Pitt. And I often wondered, what did Claire see in Brad, the way his character was written and acted? Again, I have no desire to change anybody's opinion, but if you haven't seen 1934's DTAH, with stunning B&W cinematography; gorgeous sets and costumes; the lovely Evelyn Venable; and the light, romantic touch of Mitchell Leisen's direction, you are depriving yourself of a well-crafted jewel. For those who love MJB, I envy the fact that you're getting to enjoy a BD release, whereas DTAH will languish forgotten in some vault.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted February 10 2012 - 08:40 AM

I respect everybody's right to love a film that I myself could barely sit through. I saw both DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY and MEET JOE BLACK in 35mm prints. I saw DTAH first and admired the charm and grace that Fredric March brought to the role of Death/Prince Sirkin. One could understand how Grazia could fall in love with dashing Death and follow him. And all this was accomplished in 79 minutes! Then I saw MJB, which went on for 178 minutes, same plot, same results; which turned the charming Prince/Death into an uncouth country bumpkin; and which gave Anthony Hopkins way too much screen time when the real conflict was whether Claire Forlani would choose death over life and follow Brad Pitt. And I often wondered, what did Claire see in Brad, the way his character was written and acted? Again, I have no desire to change anybody's opinion, but if you haven't seen 1934's DTAH, with stunning B&W cinematography; gorgeous sets and costumes; the lovely Evelyn Venable; and the light, romantic touch of Mitchell Leisen's direction, you are depriving yourself of a well-crafted jewel. For those who love MJB, I envy the fact that you're getting to enjoy a BD release, whereas DTAH will languish forgotten in some vault.

SPOILERS BELOW! Seen DTAH a number of times, originally decades ago. I considered it a light and stylish film. Somehow, unexpectedly, MJB got under my skin. I saw all of the characters being conflicted and looking for a resolution in their lives/deaths. This includes the daughter and the son-in-law. What did Claire see in Brad? Take a look at the scene in the coffee shop, just before Brad's first character is killed. A touching and beautiful scene of "love at first sight", followed by a real shock to the system. MJB is simply a film that you don't conveniently let go of, it stays with you. Something of the same effect on me as Vertigo (which is a much better film on many levels). It is an obsessive film.