Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Standard DVD Playback issue on LED TV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 zagor

zagor

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 08 2012 - 11:58 AM

I purchased a Samsung LED TV (UND7000 series) on Black Friday 2011 and even though the Blu ray DVD playback and streaming performance (Netflix, VuDu, Amazon Instant Video etc.) is great, I am noticing some juddering, stuttering when I play standard DVDs. I have tried changing the settings on the TV, turned off auto-motion plus, reduced judder/blur effect settings to zero but I have not been able to eliminate the issue completely. I think it is the result of upscaling. I have Sony Blu ray player that upconverts the standard DVD to HD quality. I think something is happening during that conversion with standard DVDs. So I changed the settings on the Blu ray player and tried playback with 720P and even resolution output settings. Currently, I have the setting that outputs what the input is (so if DVD is 720P, then player doesn't convert and outputs 720p). I still experience juddering/stuttering. What bothers me the most about this is that I had a projection HD TV (JVC H-DILA microdisplay TV) and I didn't experience any juddering or stuttering whether I played Blu ray DVD or Standard DVD. Ok so the picture quality wasn't as fantastic but it didn't have this problem either. It's frustrating to experience this with a higher, upgraded technology :(. I'd like to know if anyone had similar experience and been able to resolve it? :confused:

#2 of 2 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted February 12 2012 - 08:46 AM

turn all scaling on the BD player off, so the player outputs 480i / 480p.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users