Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Disney taking a "wait and see" approach on UltraViolet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE  

• 0 posts

Posted February 07 2012 - 04:45 PM

Home Media Magazine reported today in an interview with Bob Iger that Disney "is not opposed to joining UltraViolet".  That's pretty big as Disney was a proponent of their own technology called KeyChest, which Iger admitted is "behind schedule".   Being that Disney is the lone holdout and significantly more titles coming out with UV offerings, this might be one of the moves that opens up UV to become something that actually takes hold in the marketplace.

If Disney came on would you change your buying habits to purchase BD's that included UV?

How many members have purchased a BD that has included UV?

Of those members that have purchases a BD with UV, how many have activated any of the UV features?

I suspect I already know Sam's response to the above... :)

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 02:58 AM

I'm not a fan of UV at all at this point. Too many hoops to jump through and its lack of integration with iTunes is a real bummer.
Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
www.hometheater.com

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted June 06 2012 - 03:20 AM

I have found the UV format very easy to use at this point. The quality is amazing for streaming, much better than Netflix. I really don't understand why others have problems with it. Maybe they just aren't technologically inclined. I don't know, but it has worked without a hitch for me, and I do hope Disney comes on board, because I have about 20 titles that I would like to upgrade to HD. So far I own close to 100 UV titles. I really hate the iTunes movie format because you can only play it on a very small number of devices.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,058 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 06 2012 - 07:36 AM

I assure you I'm technologically inclined. That's not the problem. =) I'll eat my hat if Disney ever joins UV. The only way that happens if UV fundamentally changes a number of their biggest problems, which being technical, I don't even know are technologically possible. =) regarding hating the iTunes format because it only plays on a small number of devices: IF you ignore EVERY iOS device and every Mac ever sold there is still the 600 million (really, they just announced that this week) Windows 7 devices out there. Not to mention all the Vista, XP and upcoming 8 devices that iTunes runs just fine on. I think what you meant to say is it doesn't run on Android. Right? If they played in a web browser would that satisfy you? http://www.zdnet.com...nses-sold/79276

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'm not a fan of UV at all at this point. Too many hoops to jump through and its lack of integration with iTunes is a real bummer.

iTunes not embracing UV is because Apple wants you to purchase the content from them. Same reason they haven't adopted BD on their more than capable hardware.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 08:08 AM

I don't like all hoops you have to jump through. Plus it kind of defeats the purpose of the it when its hit or miss if your content shows up at one Vudu provider vs another.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 08:08 AM

Plus why is it when I pay the HD premium for some titles my UV copy is limited to SD?

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 03:19 PM

Furthermore, you have to have numerous user names and passwords for all of the participating studios, which is just a major PITA.
Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
www.hometheater.com

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 06 2012 - 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn 

Those are my two biggest hang-ups with it.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted June 06 2012 - 04:41 PM

I'm not just talking about Android tablets that iTunes won't play on. There are hundreds of devices, including many Blu-Ray players, DVR's, Smart TV's, Game Consoles, and Media Streaming Boxes that iTunes won't play on, but UV will play on all of them.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 01:20 AM

I actually don't know if I have any titles that have UV included. I have no interest in it or digital copy. But the ability to watch UV on an Android tablet has me curious. A few months ago I bought two Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablets. Bought the first one for my wife, thought she might enjoy it. After setting it up, along with an Apple Airport Express for a wireless access point (my router is not wireless), the next day I bought another one for me. A fun gadget. I'm typing this post on it, sitting outside in the screened patio, having coffee. I occasionally watch something from Amazon Prime on it, and it works fine. So, while UV and digital copy haven't exactly been on my must have list, the ability to watch on my tablet might just change that.

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted June 07 2012 - 01:42 AM

Yes you can watch UV on an Android tablet with the Flixster app.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,058 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 06:10 AM

I'm not just talking about Android tablets that iTunes won't play on. There are hundreds of devices, including many Blu-Ray players, DVR's, Smart TV's, Game Consoles, and Media Streaming Boxes that iTunes won't play on, but UV will play on all of them.

Awesome, so I can play my UV downloads today on Xbox, PS3 and Wii?

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted June 07 2012 - 06:52 AM

Yes on the PS3 and Xbox but not on the Wii.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted June 07 2012 - 11:12 AM

That's not entirely true on the PlayStation 3. YES you can access Ultraviolet movies purchased via Vudu from Walmart (or whatever you want to call that process), but NO you cannot access Ultraviolet digital copies that came with your Blu-ray discs via the Vudu application. I own a PS3. I use Vudu to watch HD trailers. I just checked.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   androvsky

androvsky

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 05:24 PM

That's not entirely true on the PlayStation 3. YES you can access Ultraviolet movies purchased via Vudu from Walmart (or whatever you want to call that process), but NO you cannot access Ultraviolet digital copies that came with your Blu-ray discs via the Vudu application. I own a PS3. I use Vudu to watch HD trailers. I just checked.

I think it depends on the movie. All of the free movies I got from Flixster giveaways show up in Vudu, I just watched a bit of Mortal Kombat. Vudu does have to already have the rights to stream a movie (along with the master and such), so you won't be able to stream movies through Vudu that aren't on the service normally. Otherwise, everything should show up. Note, I'm not actually spending money on anything UV-related until they get the download format finalized and supported, so I can only do so much checking. :(

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted June 07 2012 - 06:00 PM

I have redeemed 15 movies from codes through Flixster or the studio websites, and only one of them does not show up in my vudu account yet, and that is Journey 2. Hopefully they will get that fixed, but otherwise I have 99 movies that I can watch on an Xbox or PS3.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,058 posts

Posted June 08 2012 - 03:13 AM

Good to know, thanks. Like I said, I expect there will be iCloud access via web or apps sooner or later, who knows tho.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted June 08 2012 - 05:17 AM

Really? Bastards. I'm not able to check right now (I'm on the road for much of today and won't be back until Monday), but my copies of YOUNG ADULT, CONTAGION, MONEYBALL and a few others don't show up under my account. So what would happen if I'd bought MONEYBALL (or JOURNEY 2, or something else they evidently don't offer) on DVD and took it into Walmart and paid my $5 for the upgrade? Out of luck?

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted June 08 2012 - 06:26 AM

Anything that you take to Walmart for D2D will show up in your account I haven't had any problems with that.