Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Classic Clint Eastwood (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted February 07 2012 - 06:03 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 07 2012 - 06:15 AM

The cover art for Blood Work is horrendous! I cannot see any logical reason for departing from this:

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,030 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 07 2012 - 07:27 AM

I don't see anyone beating down the doors for these ones...

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,227 posts

Posted February 07 2012 - 09:23 AM

I've never understood the love some have for A PERFECT WORLD. One of my more painful viewing experiences, just agony.

#5 of 18 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted February 07 2012 - 10:04 AM

I liked A Perfect World. I saw it on opening weekend. But I haven't seen it since, so my opinion may have changed.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,303 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 07 2012 - 10:15 AM

I think A Perfect World is one of his better films, so I'll definitely be picking that one up.

Blood Work, on the other hand....

Here's hoping that the next Eastwood BD wave from WB includes White Hunter, Black Heart.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted February 07 2012 - 01:31 PM

I think 'A Perfect World' is a great film and will pick it up on the day its released. Keep the Eastwood catalog titles coming WB!

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 07 2012 - 06:06 PM

I agree Bryan I love the movie. Blood work I think is terrible.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 07 2012 - 06:07 PM

Also kinda strange to throw U.S. Marshalls in that presser with those other two movies.
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,582 posts

Posted February 08 2012 - 04:10 AM

Add me to the list of admirers of A Perfect World. Didn't really care for it much when it came out, but have grown to really like it after repeated viewings. Eastwood purposely put his character in the background, to let the movie rightfully concentrate on the relationship between Costner and the boy. Costner gave a good performance walking the tightrope between cold criminal and "father figure" to the boy, very understated but effective. I get the feeling that most people who really dislike this movie were expecting Eastwood to reprise his "Dirty Harry" personna circa 1960, rather than the sympathetic lawman. In any case, I think a good movie, one that I will likely purchase.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   nealg

nealg

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted February 08 2012 - 05:00 AM

Perfect World has been a favorite since the laserdisc days! Finally opened my dvd last night in preparation for trade; got it years ago for $5 at TOWER! It looks pretty good. Love the widescreen photography in this film. Should look great on Blu. I'm sure there won't be any supplements, and that's too bad. Watch for a young Bradley Whitford (West Wing). Now, bring on Bridges of Madison County!!

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted February 08 2012 - 09:52 AM

Now, bring on Bridges of Madison County!!

Yes, Bridges would be great to have on Blu, especially since the DVD was open matte. Can't recall Perfect World, although I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 08 2012 - 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer 

Yes, Bridges would be great to have on Blu, especially since the DVD was open matte. Can't recall Perfect World, although I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

Yes, I just held onto my letterboxed laserdisc of The Bridges of Madison County rather than add that botched DVD release. Would love to see the film treated right on Blu-ray.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted February 08 2012 - 06:17 PM

While the 1997 DVD of Madison County was full-frame, the 2008 reissue was anamorphic widescreen. Count me in for wanting this on Blu-ray too.

Yes, I just held onto my letterboxed laserdisc of The Bridges of Madison County rather than add that botched DVD release. Would love to see the film treated right on Blu-ray.

#15 of 18 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted February 08 2012 - 06:24 PM

Bridges is my favorite Eastwood film.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,900 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted February 09 2012 - 12:07 AM

Awesome. I've almost bought Perfect World on DVD so many times. But something kept telling me to wait. I know those old country roads are going to look absolutely spectacular in HD. I can't argue with folk who dislike it. I understand why. The Eastwood/Dern portions aren't the strongest parts of the film. But for all it's Costner/kid moments I forgive the failings with ease. Costner is wonderful in that film. My favorite thing is the beautiful country settings. I need to move to where they filmed it. North Carolina, I think. Or...Virginia?
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted February 09 2012 - 01:51 AM

It was filmed in & around Austin, Texas. A Perfect World has a special place in my heart as the first film for which I, as a young aspiring actor, ever went to a casting call.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,900 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted February 09 2012 - 07:53 AM

^ Thanks! Could have sworn it was filmed closer to where I live. That's got to be exciting. I tried out for a few local playhouse productions when I was about 14 or 15 and I remember how that felt. Nervous as hell! :D
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel