Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do you buy used games from GameStop?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 of 38 Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 347 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted March 24 2012 - 06:07 AM

I do both. But I seldom buy a game when it is brand new, i.e. just released. I wait and buy it a few months after the initial release, either new or used, when the price comes down. That works well for me since I don't live in the States. When I am in the States, I check out the prices of games that I want at different stores (and on Amazon). If the price is good, I buy. If not, I can wait for my next trip to the States. I've learned to be a very patient person :)
"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#22 of 38 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,702 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 24 2012 - 03:52 PM

How's your net speeds in Honduras these days Frank? Can you get broadband at a fair price or still struggling for dial up speeds?

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#23 of 38 Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 01:38 AM

Sam, I haven't had dial up internet in years. We get broadband at a decent price through our cable company. Just checked my download speed. Right now it's early Sunday morning & I'm getting 4.87mbs. I'm suppose to get 5mbs. Sometimes our internet goes out for awhile, but when it works, which is most of the time, it's pretty quick. I've had few problems being able to play Uncharted on-line (except being killed all the time. I'm not very good at point and shoots, but I enjoy trying :P )
"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#24 of 38 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,702 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 02:23 AM

Very interesting thanks Frank. Like most Americans I have not much clue what conditions are like outside of here, I would have guessed Honduras was a little further behind than what you report. The reason I ask is because I wonder how well the transition to day 1 downloads will play in countries like yours. I expect simultaneous releases to ramp up on the next generation of consoles but I have been happy with how much they downloads are almost universally available on day 1 for the PC. As a PC gamer I will never ever buy a disk based game again. As a Vita gamer I will never buy a card based game unless it's under $5 and the download is not. I got the one game in my special edition and haven't even taken the plastic off it! As an Apple gamer, well we never had physical media to worry about. =) I REALLY hope that this trend moves to consoles in 2013. It's time. That probably won't stick a fork in Gamestop right away but the writing is on the wall that it's coming. Look how short a time it took digital to kill film.

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#25 of 38 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,503 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 05:38 AM

As a PC gamer I will never ever buy a disk based game again.

Wow. You sure are trusting that A. You will always have internet access so you can play your game B. Big brother doesn't suddenly decide your copy is illegal. C. Big brother doesn't lose your licenses. D. Big brother doesn't go out of business making all your downloaded games unplayable. I would always choose a physical disc over download assuming that the game has disc based copy protection. If it requires internet to big brother then might as well download it. I do have several Steam based games but I would prefer to go back to physical copies and no internet based copy protection.

#26 of 38 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,702 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 05:58 AM

I have a library of over 250 steam games, 4 Origin (EA sucks) and a handful of GOG, Impulse, GMG and whatever else games. It's not a trust thing any more. It's just the way things are.

#27 of 38 Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 06:00 AM

I don't do pc games anymore, so I've never downloaded any. But, I have bought and downloaded games from the Playstation Store. As far as I can tell, I can get anything that I want the day it is available in the States. My account is registered as a U.S. account so maybe that is why. I'm not sure what kind of account Hondurans (and central americans) who do not have U.S. credit cards accounts are registered as. I suspect they get what we get when it is available.

#28 of 38 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 10:00 AM

I buy new from Amazon only for the most part. I never sell back games because I never know when I may want to go back and play it again. I hate Gamestop although they do have some console trade-in deals at times that make it worth it. I have 250+ Xbox 360 Games, 50+ Wii Games, 50+ DS Games. I'm a video game nut even in my 40's... :)

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#29 of 38 Iceman Sig

Iceman Sig

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted June 17 2012 - 10:20 AM

I buy used from GameStop occasionally but I perfer to order my games from amazon

#30 of 38 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 01:20 PM

Wow. You sure are trusting that A. You will always have internet access so you can play your game B. Big brother doesn't suddenly decide your copy is illegal. C. Big brother doesn't lose your licenses. D. Big brother doesn't go out of business making all your downloaded games unplayable. I would always choose a physical disc over download assuming that the game has disc based copy protection. If it requires internet to big brother then might as well download it. I do have several Steam based games but I would prefer to go back to physical copies and no internet based copy protection.

The problem is is that some game companies, such as UbiSoft, require you to have an internet connection for authentication on their disc based games. The first thing I check for on an UbiSoft game is whether I need an internet connection to play the game. The second thing I do, after finding the requirement, is put it back on the shelf. When I purchase a disc-based game, I should not have to get permission from an UbiSoft server to play it.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#31 of 38 Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,916 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 01:59 PM

I don't buy a whole lot of video games.  I think that every new game that I've bought has been a discounted greatest hits rerelease.  I occasionally buy used from Gamestop, but only if it's a good deal.  I went in there about a month ago looking for a copy of Ace Combat 6 for the 360.  The game was released five years ago and can be purchased new at Amazon.com for less than $20.  All that Gamestop had available were used disc only copies for $25 each.

#32 of 38 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,702 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 06:52 AM

Gamestop isn't fighting the future but they aren't rushing towards it either:

http://www.engadget....rtel-interview/

#33 of 38 CaseyL

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted August 29 2013 - 09:05 AM

in other words "We're going to wait until all this 'download stuff' settles down a bit until we can find a way to totally bone the consumer in a completely legal way, laughing maniacally as we stuff wads of money into our ears."

The last bit wasn't really implied in the article, it was a just a bit of embellishment on my part.

#34 of 38 Northgun

Northgun

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 16 2013 - 08:30 PM

Many used games I've considered you have to buy a code in order to play it online. Thats the main reason I rarely buy used games. Many games I buy are also older so the price difference between new and used is minimal at best, so I pay the extra couple dollars to get it new.

#35 of 38 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,702 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 09:40 AM

Death to Gamestop:
http://www.polygon.c...etition-remains

#36 of 38 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 28 2014 - 09:45 AM

*shrug*  I bought Tomb Raider at Gamestop the moment they said it was available.  I have no problem with it.  They hire local kids, local jobs, and while I may not like everything about it, that does mean something to me.    Getting the game early was a nice perk.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#37 of 38 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,702 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 10:42 AM

Did you pick it up in your horse and buggy?  =p

#38 of 38 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 28 2014 - 03:23 PM

Did you pick it up in your horse and buggy?  =p

Nope, but I had no problem taking it down to my brother's house, who lives in a county in Kansas that has, as it's fastest internet speed available, 256k connections.   In other words, it would take him somewhere around 2 days, and break his data cap to get one game ;)

• Aaron Silverman likes this

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users