Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Meet Bob Furmanek: HTF Golden Age 3-D Consultant

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1659 replies to this topic

#961 of 1660 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,015 posts

Posted December 23 2013 - 10:25 PM

Yes, it opens with a canon firing at the audience and then the main title.

It had some sub-run flat bookings, but most of the first and second run engagements were 3-D. Coming so early in the cycle, it had a very wide release.

Fort-web.jpg

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

SAMSPACE_02_edited-1_zpse1008419.jpg

#962 of 1660 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,544 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted December 23 2013 - 10:54 PM

You have to feel sorry for the poor old Ranger, although it serves him right for being Cinematically recruited. :huh:

fort ti.jpg

Doug.

#963 of 1660 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,015 posts

Posted December 24 2013 - 07:46 AM

Wonderful, thanks Doug. Right back at you!

Fort Ti Spokesman Review 7.9.53 b.GIF

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#964 of 1660 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,870 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 24 2013 - 11:50 AM

So...what are the odds I'm ever going to see Fort Ti released on an optical disc anytime down the road???

Or even broadcast on TV?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#965 of 1660 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,015 posts

Posted December 24 2013 - 12:15 PM

At this stage, not very likely.

The studio has not even prepared a 3-D master. It's not considered one of the "important" titles in their 3-D library...

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#966 of 1660 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,544 posts

Posted December 24 2013 - 09:00 PM

The studio has not even prepared a 3-D master. It's not considered one of the "important" titles in their 3-D library...

I'm going out to the shed tomorrow and retrieve my ancient "Fort Ti" 3D VHS tape.  :D

I enjoyed the newspaper clipping Bob.

You have to love 50's Speak.

Doug. 

#967 of 1660 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted December 25 2013 - 08:26 AM

So...what are the odds I'm ever going to see Fort Ti released on an optical disc anytime down the road???

Very disappointing information :unsure:, especially with blurbs of CES 2014 exhibiting  sharp quality glasses-free displays that will be in the consumers reach in only a few months.   It could bring back western's big time. :)

Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#968 of 1660 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted December 25 2013 - 03:20 PM

[font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]Count me in as another one who really enjoys FORT TI.   Sony had struck new prints roughly ten years ago, which looked amazing when shown at the first World 3-D Film Expo.  I really wish I could have seen it again, and think that is the last time it has been shown in public in polarized 3-D.[/font]

[font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]Doug, if the anaglyphic television broadcast of FORT TI is the same one that was televised in parts of Europe, I suspect there will be disappoint ahead. Not only was there excessive ghosting, but that given transfer suffered from extensive vertical misalignment and in some sections was also out of sync. The version I saw was not even close to representing what I saw in 2003.[/font]

#969 of 1660 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,544 posts

Posted December 25 2013 - 07:09 PM

Doug, if the anaglyphic television broadcast of FORT TI is the same one that was televised in parts of Europe, I suspect there will be disappoint ahead. Not only was there excessive ghosting, but that given transfer suffered from extensive vertical misalignment and in some sections was also out of sync. The version I saw was not even close to representing what I saw in 2003.

Greg, I'm guessing it was the same one as shown in Europe.

I attempted to joke about it on the previous page. (post #954)

Yes, I remember it was pretty much unwatchable. (and my VHS copy would be even worse)

Doug.

#970 of 1660 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,870 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 25 2013 - 07:44 PM

It really is a shame.

It is a film on a topic of which I am quite interested...and yet have never seen.

I'm not really into 3-D...so would be thrilled to even receive a 2-D presentation on disc sometime.  Maybe a MOD program?!?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#971 of 1660 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted December 26 2013 - 07:04 PM

Greg, I'm guessing it was the same one as shown in Europe.

I attempted to joke about it on the previous page. (post #954)

Yes, I remember it was pretty much unwatchable. (and my VHS copy would be even worse)

[font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]You were correct Doug- Some things should remain buried![/font]    :3dglasses: 

[font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]Anaglyph 3DTV was far from desirable, especially in the old analog days when 3/4" U-Matic and 1" videotape were the actual video masters.[/font]

[font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]Here in the States, Rich Koz (aka: The Son of Svengoolie) would host horror shows and while being based out of Chicago, was also syndicated in a number of other cities.  In the summer of '82 Koz hyped the Chicago 3DTV premiere of "Revenge of the Creature".[/font]

[font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]Posted Image[/font]

[font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]The result?  A civil action lawsuit for those who shelled out 89 cents for 3-D glasses, but didn't get enough of "a 3-D effect". I don't think the lawsuit ever went anywhere, but can ...somewhat understand their frustration. Even when these 3D broadcasts sort of worked, it was borderline at best.   :blink:[/font][font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:14px;"] [/font]

#972 of 1660 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted December 26 2013 - 07:08 PM

It really is a shame.

It is a film on a topic of which I am quite interested...and yet have never seen.

I'm not really into 3-D...so would be thrilled to even receive a 2-D presentation on disc sometime.  Maybe a MOD program?!?

It IS a shame.  FORT TI used to have runs on AMC long ago, but the quality was so-so. Seeing this in high quality 3-D really is the way to go.

Bob, was this the first Columbia picture to feature 3-channel (left, center, right) stereophonic sound?

#973 of 1660 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,015 posts

Posted December 26 2013 - 11:23 PM

Bob, was this the first Columbia picture to feature 3-channel (left, center, right) stereophonic sound?

Yes, it was. Sadly, it no longer survives. :(

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#974 of 1660 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,544 posts

Posted December 27 2013 - 04:24 PM

Bob, I believe that the 3-channel Stereo tracks for "Miss Sadie Thompson" no longer survive.

Do you think that somewhere in this world it's possible that a set might still exist? ( I still believe in miracles)

I wonder how thorough and how wide the search has been? 

Because of all the 3D movies, this is the one I would most dearly love to experience again in Stereo. (Kiss Me Kate excluded)

My old 10" Mercury mono "Miss Sadie Thompson" Soundtrack LP is completely worn out and has finally been retired to LP Heaven.

Funny story, I purposely dug a hole into the groove when Jose Ferrer accuses Rita of being a prostitute, because I was frightened my Mum would hear that word and ban me from ever playing it again.   How times have changed. :)

Doug. 

#975 of 1660 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,015 posts

Posted December 27 2013 - 04:43 PM

POPULAR

At this stage, the chance of 60 year old magnetic tracks surviving are slim to none. If they do survive buried in some vault, collection or Archive somewhere, there's a VERY strong possibility they are deteriorating with Vinegar Syndrome, which is very prevalent in magnetic materials.

Sony initially denied the film was ever stereophonic, but now simply claim the tracks are lost.

You would have liked the alternate track for SADIE which replaced the racy dialogue. Instead of prostitute, Jose Ferrer calls Sadie an "evil woman." The actors themselves recorded the alternate tracks during production.

The alternate track negative was buried in the vaults until a decade or so ago when they were accidentally used when striking a new dual-strip 3-D print for repertory bookings. Sony caught the mistake, pulled that print and struck a new left/right pair with the correct track. I saw the print in New York and the audience howled at the replaced dialogue!

Any possible 3-D Blu-ray release of this film should include this alternate dialogue as a bonus.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#976 of 1660 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,544 posts

Posted December 27 2013 - 07:19 PM

That's a great piece of information and trivia Bob.  Thanks for sharing.

If only they had used that alternative track on the Mercury soundtrack recording, then there wouldn't have been a need for that almighty loud crunch every time I played it, plus, I'm fairly sure "Evil Woman" might have got past Mum's heavy censorship rules.

"You are an evil woman"

sadie.jpg

[font="georgia, serif;"]"No,  just call me a pro"[/font]

Doug.

#977 of 1660 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,015 posts

Posted December 27 2013 - 08:32 PM

After THIS IS CINERAMA and THE ROBE, MST was the first feature to be fully recorded in stereophonic sound both on set and on location in Hawaii. The location dialogue was recorded two channel and the music score was three track. The final full-coat magnetic mix sent to theaters was three channel: left, center and right.

Excuse the poor quality, but here's a production photo from the location in early April, 1953. Note the two microphones recording dialogue between Rita Hayworth and Aldo Ray.

Sadie microphones.jpg

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#978 of 1660 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,015 posts

Posted December 30 2013 - 10:10 AM

Happy 2014 from Julie Adams and the 3-D Film Archive.

Watch for DRAGONFLY SQUADRON, THE BUBBLE* and 3-D RARITIES fully restored from master 35mm elements on 3-D Blu-ray in 2014!

543934_390156284406301_557014261_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8RIDvciB-GM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=phd5kVmleO0

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NXEYPaHtQgU

*Please note: THE BUBBLE is not to be confused with UNDER THE DOME.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#979 of 1660 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,049 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted December 30 2013 - 10:22 AM

If it wsn't for the recapture of the Fort from the British...

:laugh:

This was a sad day in your history books. :P

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#980 of 1660 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,533 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 30 2013 - 11:51 AM

This is all wonderful news, Bob.

We've all waited so long for all of this good stuff to happen.  But I know that no one has endured the wait longer than you!   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users