Meet Bob Furmanek: HTF Golden Age 3-D Consultant

• Please log in to reply
1274 replies to this topic

#701 of 1275 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,384 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 07:59 AM

No, that was put together by someone as as a gag, it never existed from Castle or Universal 8.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#702 of 1275 Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 328 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted March 11 2013 - 11:32 AM

However, they did in fact do an anaglyph 16mm of the entire feature. Swank carried it for rental. For all I know, they still have it. This one I can say for certain as I've seen it on at least three occassions: October of 1989 at a Film Collector's Show I went to, October of 1994 at the University of Pennsylvania campus, and in September, 2003 at the first Monster-Mania Con in Cherry Hill, NJ (they also ran the anaglyph 16mm Creature). There were, in fact, 7 golden age features and 3 shorts (well, one was from the 40s) in anaglyph 16mm. Swank carried: It Came From Outer Space Creature From the Black Lagoon Revenge of the Creature House of Wax Dial M For Murder The last two weren't carried for long and I wish I still had the catalogs advertisng them. I should e-mail Swank and see if they have any back catalogs. Kit Parker had: The Maze The Mad Magician Spooks Pardon My Backfire Third Dimensional Murder floated around for a number of years, showing up in Big Reel. I have a 16mm of it, in fact. Fun short. On Super 8, there were digests of Creature, ICFOS, and The Mad Magician as well as Pardon My Backfire (nearly the whole short), Third Dimensioanl Murder, Audioscopicks, and New Audioscopicks. On regular 8mm was a silent digest of Spooks called Tails of Horror and a silent digest of The Mad Magician, which was different from the longer sound Super 8 one. I know people think I'm putting them on about HoW and DMFM, but I swear I'm not. I actually had the catalogs at one time and they were both listed. This was back during the 80s heyday, around 1981/1982. Story I heard was that the color turned on them, so they aren't around anymore. But they did exist. On top of which, back in 1991, I saw a (horribly misprojected) single strip version of HoW at the County theater in Doylestown. The first shot outside of the police station must have been messed up because that one shot was anaglyph (which made no sense). The County also claimed that they were offered an anaglyhpic version of Bwana Devil to show the same day but they turned it away. That one I only have their word for.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#703 of 1275 GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 12:08 PM

I know people think I'm putting them on about HoW and DMFM, but I swear I'm not. I actually had the catalogs at one time and they were both listed. This was back during the 80s heyday, around 1981/1982. Story I heard was that the color turned on them, so they aren't around anymore. But they did exist. .

I'm for one am not saying you are 'putting anyone on', but given there is no documentation or any other confirmable accounts of anaglyphic prints of DIAL M or HOUSE OF WAX, and you never personally viewed these prints, is it possible the listings were for the single strip 3-D versions that were made available around that time? I know from past history some previous 3-D bookings have been as clear as mud. It's also worth noting the single strip version of WAX did not have ideal L/R color matching, as in the timing was off considerably in a few spots. So if you heard something on the color, that could be related.

#704 of 1275 Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 328 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted March 11 2013 - 12:14 PM

They were 16mm and I don't think they'd do 16mm over/under. That would require the things to be shown on silver screens and have a beam splitter, which the average place that would show these things...I specifically saw the catalogs in a church...wouldn't have. At that, I'm not certain they'd even make a beam splitter for 16mm projectors. I'm chasing down a couple of vintage catalogs with the hope of finding the listings to help document it. Now, if the catalogs specifically mention them as being 35mm, that would be different. I may have something in a week or so.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#705 of 1275 SAM33

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 11:31 PM

Thanks all for the info! Interesting stuff.

#706 of 1275 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,384 posts

Posted March 23 2013 - 08:13 AM

Expo 3 has been announced: http://3-dfilmexpo.com/

• Stephen_J_H and Richard--W like this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#707 of 1275 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted March 23 2013 - 12:31 PM

Expo 3 has been announced: http://3-dfilmexpo.com/

A LOT of restored titles on the list, if they're in good condition. 

Guide says only Hondo, Creature, Dial M, Jaws, the Stewardesses and Miss Sadie are showing in digital.

Normally, I'd say "Oh well, no hope for Inferno, Revenge, Kate, It, French Line, or Lumber Jack-Rabbit from Warner or Fox any time soon  :( ", but Mad Magician is playing on 35mm film print, so guess that's no way to tell.  (So we continue to guess about Twilight Time's mystery title...)

And am I right in thinking this's the first 3D Expo we've had since the rise of Blu 3D, and the awareness of Creature/Dial M?

(Also, that this is the first-ever 3D expo where Warhol's Frankenstein wasn't shown?  Not that that's a bad thing.)

#708 of 1275 David M. Ballew

David M. Ballew

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 03:42 PM

Sam 33 wrote: "I got the impression that there was a Castle 3D digest of this from another anaglyph I had (happily now obsolete!) of CFTBL that had it on as an 'extra.'"

Sam 33, I may be able to shed some light on the situation with the Revenge of the Creature Castle digest. If I recall correctly, some enterprising person realized that the digest of Revenge was sourced from one or the other stereoscopic “eye”(we’ll say the left) and that the DVD had been sourced from the other eye (we’ll say the right). By editing the DVD footage to match the digest footage, this person was able to create an 8-minute 3-D version of Revenge.

#709 of 1275 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,384 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 08:30 PM

FRANKENSTEIN was shown in 2006 and was a stereoscopic mess. The film needs a LOT of work. I recently spoke with Paul Morrissey and tried to explain why the film needs a shot by shot alignment. He had no interest in fixing it. Oh, well.

With the overall lack of interest in these films at the studios, I strongly urge anybody that is interested to make every effort to attend. I hate to say it, but this may be the only chance to see them in 3-D.

Believe me, I wish it were otherwise.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#710 of 1275 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 11:13 PM

With the overall lack of interest in these films at the studios, I strongly urge anybody that is interested to make every effort to attend. I hate to say it, but this may be the only chance to see them in 3-D.

Believe me, I wish it were otherwise.

I'd attend if I lived in the LA area and could afford $18 per picture.  :wacko:

Seriously, though, that's why I pointed out this's the first Expo we've had since the birth of Blu3D.

Expo 2 was in '06, back when both Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray were both still vaporware--Now, the press is divided between trying to explain the "3D fad" and trying to celebrate how much "better" it would be if we got the old 50's classics instead of kiddy movies.

It's changed the emphasis of the festival away from "Obscure film archive" to "Artistic appreciation" of how the Golden Age used 3D, and Why These Aren't On Disk,now that we've become connossueirs who've seen enough of it in common to judge how well or badly Hitchcock or Menzies might have used it.   No matter how much film-appreciation goes on at the Expo, for the first time, Blu3D will be the elephant in the room.

A little West Coast press in THAT direction might shake up some awareness and discussion.  (And don't underestimate the press's 80's-kitsch attraction of their showing Jaws 3D in digital.  :3dglasses:  )

Edited by Ejanss, March 26 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#711 of 1275 SAM33

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 04:17 AM

Sam 33 wrote: "I got the impression that there was a Castle 3D digest of this from another anaglyph I had (happily now obsolete!) of CFTBL that had it on as an 'extra.'"

Sam 33, I may be able to shed some light on the situation with the Revenge of the Creature Castle digest. If I recall correctly, some enterprising person realized that the digest of Revenge was sourced from one or the other stereoscopic “eye”(we’ll say the left) and that the DVD had been sourced from the other eye (we’ll say the right). By editing the DVD footage to match the digest footage, this person was able to create an 8-minute 3-D version of Revenge.

Thanks much! That's REALLY interesting to me. Guess this disc isn't "obsolete" after all.

#712 of 1275 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 26 2013 - 02:42 PM

Some Blu-ray news & rumors:

Amazon.com has a listing for an individual release of their Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D disc for 6/4/13

Shout Factory has strongly hinted that they licensed The Amityville Horror and its sequels from MGM for release later this year, which obviously includes Amityville 3D.

Though not catalog titles, Shout Factory did release Sector 7 3D last year, and they have an upcoming release of A Monster in Paris 3D next month.

Hopefully Shout brings Amityville 3D to Blu-ray 3D.

• pinknik likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#713 of 1275 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted March 27 2013 - 09:21 AM

Reading an earlier post encouraged me to play my copy of The Maze, great little film from 1953. Pity I couldn't watch it in 3-D.

#714 of 1275 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 11:52 AM

I have no idea who owns it, but is there any chance of a release in any format of I, The Jury (1953) which I believe was also produced in 3-D?

#715 of 1275 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,384 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 12:00 PM

We're in touch with the copyright holder but they have no interest in restoring/releasing a 3-D version.

We're still trying to change their mind. The stereoscopic cinematography by John Alton is superb.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#716 of 1275 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 12:16 PM

Bob, like many, many others I am a huge fan of John Alton. Fantastic work on loads of great films, I particularly like The Black Book (lovely DVD from Columbia).

Most importantly to me he was the cinematographer on my most wanted Blu-ray, Slightly Scarlet (RKO, 1956).

#717 of 1275 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,384 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 09:25 AM

Sixty years ago today, Warner Bros. premiered one of the greatest 3-D movies of all time: HOUSE OF WAX, starring Vincent Price, Frank Lovejoy, Phyllis Kirk, Carolyn Jones, Paul Picerni and Charles Buchinsky (a.k.a. Bronson.)  Directed by Andre DeToth and produced by Bryan Foy, it told the story of a crazed sculptor seeking revenge for the fiery destruction of his wax museum.

Based on the 1933 horror classic MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM, this WarnerColor re-make was the first feature film from a major studio to be photographed in Natural Vision 3-Dimension.  (Arch Oboler's BWANA DEVIL, distributed by United Artists, had been the first.) Natural Vision utilized two strips of film, representing left and right eye views, and was projected in perfect synchronization on two projectors. This superior 3-D process utilized Polaroid filters and glasses, and should not be confused with the red/blue anaglyph 3-D system, which appeared primarily in comic books and magazines during that time.

It was also the first feature to be heard in WarnerPhonic Stereo sound, a new 4-channel process that utilized a full-coat 35mm magnetic track for the left, center and right speakers behind the screen, and a mono optical track for the surround channel.  The 35mm full-coat audio was on a separate roll that was interlocked with the two projectors that ran the left/right 3-D images, and the surround track was on the right print of the feature. (The left print contained a mono optical composite track of the entire four channels, and served as an emergency audio back-up in case the dubber went out of sync with the picture.)

Sadly, this pioneering WarnerPhonic audio is lost today.  The only surviving element of the original stereo mix is the mono surround channel. (The stereo sound that you are hearing on the film today is newly created by Chace Audio from mono elements.  It is NOT the original WarnerPhonic sound.)  The tragedy of this stereo audio not surviving is the fact that it was an important element in the original presentation of the 3-D film.  With fully directional sound, and sound effects that emanated from the sides and rear of the auditorium (during the fire in the wax museum, for instance) it helped to immerse the viewer in the action, adding an important element to the superb realism of the dimensional photography.  As an example of the important role of sound in this presentation, the New York Paramount installed 25 surround speakers throughout the huge auditorium.

The gala world premiere took place on April 10, 1953 at the magnificent 3,600 seat Paramount Theatre on Times Square.  All the stars from the film were there, and the film proved to be a tremendous moneymaker for the studio.  Boosting ticket sales was the stage show headlined by RCA recording star Eddie Fisher, making his first appearance back from a tour of duty in Korea.  He performed such hits as "Any Time," "I'm Walking Behind You," "Wish You Were Here" and "Tell Me Why."  The bobbysoxers lined up for hours to see the popular crooner, and filled the massive theatre for six shows a day!

The phenomenal success of this film opened the floodgates for 3-D movies.  Within the next 14 months, Hollywood produced 50 features, and nearly two dozen shorts and cartoons, all in the Polaroid 3-D process.  Titles include KISS ME KATE, HONDO, CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, MISS SADIE THOMPSON, DIAL M FOR MURDER, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, CEASE FIRE, I THE JURY, and many more.

House-3.28.53.jpg

house_of_wax_1953_poster_03.jpg

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#718 of 1275 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 10 2013 - 09:43 AM

FYI - Shout has confirmed that they are indeed releasing the Amityville films, and that they certainly want to release the 3rd film with a 3D option. From Scream Factory @ Facebook:

***EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT!***

We teased the following weeks ago but now we will confirm it: THE AMITYVILLE HORROR TRILOGY (consisting of the '79 original, the '82 prequel and the '83 3D entry) will be making its way from us in a Blu-ray collection set before Halloween. That’s a lot of bleeding walls, flies, demons, possessed family members in HD! More specifics (extras, street date, etc.) to emerge in the Summer.

And later:

We'll confirm the "3D" in the Summer. :-)

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#719 of 1275 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 10:22 AM

***EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT!***

We teased the following weeks ago but now we will confirm it: THE AMITYVILLE HORROR TRILOGY (consisting of the '79 original, the '82 prequel and the '83 3D entry) will be making its way from us in a Blu-ray collection set before Halloween. That’s a lot of bleeding walls, flies, demons, possessed family members in HD! More specifics (extras, street date, etc.) to emerge in the Summer.

And later:

We'll confirm the "3D" in the Summer. :-)

That's their story and they're sticking to it.  They're such inscrutable, capricious folk.

Intuition suggests they wouldn't keep mentioning "the 3D version", unquote, so often in the press release if it wasn't, knowing it would raise obvious expectations.

(And even if it's dim made-for-disk in-house 3D like we got on Harry Potter 7.1, it's the thought of getting 80's 3D out there that counts.)

#720 of 1275 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 10 2013 - 10:38 AM

Maybe it was the movie theatre not knowing how to show this properly but, I remember Amityville 3D looked terrible in 3D. Nothing came out of the screen and there was very little depth

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users