Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sound proofing advice

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 waldenpp

waldenpp

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 06 2012 - 01:30 AM

I would like to soundproof my upstairs from the downstairs. I recently purchased a home and have stripped the ceiling and walls to the beams. I have read a lot about resilient channels/z channels along with sound isolation clips, double drywall with greenglue, etc. There is a ton of information and I cant figure out what is best or if it is just promotional. I would like to soundproof and hopefully reduce some foot fall noise at the same time. Here are the specs: 1) Wood frame 2) Ceiling joists are 2x8 3) 8 ft ceilings - Do you think I should drop and reframe the ceiling with metal studs? - Use resilient channel? RC- 1, RC-2, 8 etc....I have no idea. - Sound clips? Thank you for your help!

#2 of 3 Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted March 08 2012 - 02:03 AM

The best way to soundproof is to mechanically isolate one structure from another. For walls, use double wall assemblies. For ceilings, it's trickier, but possible. I'm doing both of these in my build. I'll also be insulating with blown cellulose, attaching MLV, and installing special sound-reducing drywall. Clips work ok, but nothing beats physically separating everything. The goal is to prevent the transfer of vibrations.

#3 of 3 wraunch

wraunch

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 02 2012 - 01:22 AM

I am doing the same thing. Very interested in folks' opinions on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users