-

Photo
- - - - -

Audyssey setup and speaker polarity

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Brett_A

Brett_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted February 05 2012 - 06:55 PM

I recently got a new Denon receiver with this feature and used it to set up my speakers.  I have always done it manually and when it was done I was not happy with the sound.  I read through the long q and a post and re tested as it recommended with similar results.  It also said my left front speaker was out of phase and the levels for this speaker were way off.  I then pulled out my Avia test patterns and with the phase test it seemed like that speaker was out of phase so I double checked the wires and the speaker was properly connected.  I am not sure what to make of the problem.  I then went back and reversed the connection on that speaker and manually calibrated the system and it sounds good but I would like to figure out what is going on. Any thoughts would be appreciated,  this is my first receiver with Audyssey but I am not new to HT and been using these speakers(DIY Adire setup) for 12+ yrs now with no problems.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,712 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 06 2012 - 11:10 AM

Maybe the connections on the individual drivers is connected backwards. Pull out the drivers and double-check the connections on the inside of the speaker. It's imparitive that you follow the directions for the Audyssey room correction to the letter. Microphone placement and low room noise are particularly important. Give Audyssey a chance. Listen to it as calibrated by Audyssey for a while. From fellow member David Willow: Audyssey Setup Guild. Give it a minute to load. http://www.willowvil...Setup Guide.pdf
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted February 06 2012 - 11:25 AM

I've had that message pop up with the Marantz 6003 and also once in the basement system (Onkyo 1008). I believe I did switch the speaker wires in the bedroom system when I first got it and took out a test CD (stereo to test the phase) and it was fine. Both systems are secondary and don't get used tons and sound fine so I wasn't going to drive myself crazy. It could have been mike placement (I did use a tripod but perhaps it was due to something like the back of a chair too close or the headboard in the bedroom system)/

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Brett_A

Brett_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted February 06 2012 - 12:53 PM

I took apart both speakers and verified they were wired properly. I was pretty careful with the Audyssey instructions as well.