What's new

To Kill a Mockingbird 50th Anniversary Edition - Highly Recommended (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I tried listening to the blu-ray commentary last night for the first time. The audio level would drop as if the speaker moved away from the mic. One moment the speaker was very legible and the next, he was hard to understand. Has anyone else experienced this? My player is a Sony BDPS550.
Edit: It's first noticeable in the judge's first scene on the Finch porch when he asks Aticus to take the Robinson case.
I remember enjoying the commentary on the DVD.
Kevin, is there further discussion of the shooting of the dog after that scene? During that scene, all that is said is that the dog was not shot. I have to say the scene was convincing. Not only the shooting but the prior behavior of the dog.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Another question. While the Univeral Globe is on the screen we see "Edward Muehl in Charge of Production". I may have spelled that wrong. He didn't get producer credit. Why was this done and was it common. I haven't noticed this on other films.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/318280/to-kill-a-mockingbird-50th-anniversary-edition-highly-recommended#post_3964859
Another question. While the Univeral Globe is on the screen we see "Edward Muehl in Charge of Production". I may have spelled that wrong. He didn't get producer credit. Why was this done and was it common. I haven't noticed this on other films.

Muhl wasn't producer of the film itself, he was the executive in charge of production for Universal Studios for many years. And his name appeared on the logo like that for several years on all Universal films.

Here's a site that shows the history of the Uni logos and shows a few variations on the Muhl logos:

http://www.closinglogos.com/page/Universal+Pictures

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I don't think they discuss the dog scene again after that, but I could be missing something. It's a singular moment and they address it as it's happening.

I hadn't noticed a problem with the audio on the commentary but I can certainly check that and cross-reference it to the DVD.

I showed this at my outdoor theater this past week and it was a totally different experience on the big screen. The crowd loved every second of it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I listened to the whole commentary again and have decided it is not a technical defect. Pakula has a tendency to either lower his voice or turn his mouth away from the mic.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Johnny Angell said:
Kevin, is there further discussion of the shooting of the dog after that scene? During that scene, all that is said is that the dog was not shot. I have to say the scene was convincing. Not only the shooting but the prior behavior of the dog.
I've always wondered about that too. I'm guessing they attached something uncomfortable to the dog, maybe a tight cinch around the waist, to make it jump around in an irritated way. Then, they set off a squib nearby that made it jump. I can't remember if we see any kind of smoke or flash from the shot. They then looped in sounds of a dog growling. What do you think?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Doug Otte said:
I've always wondered about that too. I'm guessing they attached something uncomfortable to the dog, maybe a tight cinch around the waist, to make it jump around in an irritated way. Then, they set off a squib nearby that made it jump. I can't remember if we see any kind of smoke or flash from the shot. They then looped in sounds of a dog growling. What do you think?
Not sure if you're asking me, but your ideas make sense. The looping would be a certainty, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks