Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

To Kill a Mockingbird 50th Anniversary Edition - Highly Recommended

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,625 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 21 2012 - 06:34 AM

I tried listening to the blu-ray commentary last night for the first time. The audio level would drop as if the speaker moved away from the mic. One moment the speaker was very legible and the next, he was hard to understand. Has anyone else experienced this? My player is a Sony BDPS550. Edit: It's first noticeable in the judge's first scene on the Finch porch when he asks Aticus to take the Robinson case. I remember enjoying the commentary on the DVD. Kevin, is there further discussion of the shooting of the dog after that scene? During that scene, all that is said is that the dog was not shot. I have to say the scene was convincing. Not only the shooting but the prior behavior of the dog.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,625 posts

Posted August 21 2012 - 06:44 AM

Another question. While the Univeral Globe is on the screen we see "Edward Muehl in Charge of Production". I may have spelled that wrong. He didn't get producer credit. Why was this done and was it common. I haven't noticed this on other films.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 21 2012 - 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/318280/to-kill-a-mockingbird-50th-anniversary-edition-highly-recommended#post_3964859

Another question. While the Univeral Globe is on the screen we see "Edward Muehl in Charge of Production". I may have spelled that wrong. He didn't get producer credit. Why was this done and was it common. I haven't noticed this on other films.

Muhl wasn't producer of the film itself, he was the executive in charge of production for Universal Studios for many years.  And his name appeared on the logo like that for several years on all Universal films.

Here's a site that shows the history of the Uni logos and shows a few variations on the Muhl logos:

http://www.closinglo...versal Pictures

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted August 21 2012 - 08:35 AM

I don't think they discuss the dog scene again after that, but I could be missing something.  It's a singular moment and they address it as it's happening.   I hadn't noticed a problem with the audio on the commentary but I can certainly check that and cross-reference it to the DVD.

#5 of 8 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 21 2012 - 09:23 AM

I showed this at my outdoor theater this past week and it was a totally different experience on the big screen. The crowd loved every second of it.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,625 posts

Posted August 22 2012 - 06:12 AM

I listened to the whole commentary again and have decided it is not a technical defect. Pakula has a tendency to either lower his voice or turn his mouth away from the mic.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 713 posts

Posted August 22 2012 - 09:15 AM

Kevin, is there further discussion of the shooting of the dog after that scene? During that scene, all that is said is that the dog was not shot. I have to say the scene was convincing. Not only the shooting but the prior behavior of the dog.
I've always wondered about that too. I'm guessing they attached something uncomfortable to the dog, maybe a tight cinch around the waist, to make it jump around in an irritated way. Then, they set off a squib nearby that made it jump. I can't remember if we see any kind of smoke or flash from the shot. They then looped in sounds of a dog growling. What do you think?

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,625 posts

Posted August 22 2012 - 01:34 PM

I've always wondered about that too. I'm guessing they attached something uncomfortable to the dog, maybe a tight cinch around the waist, to make it jump around in an irritated way. Then, they set off a squib nearby that made it jump. I can't remember if we see any kind of smoke or flash from the shot. They then looped in sounds of a dog growling. What do you think?
Not sure if you're asking me, but your ideas make sense. The looping would be a certainty, I think.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users