What's new

Cannot get 5.1 sound when connecting OPPO BDP 95 with ANTHEM AVM 30, help please? (1 Viewer)

etuoce007

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik
I connected my OPPO BDP95 with ANTHEM AVM30 with XLR direct for high quality stereo music which works great. Also connected 6 RCA interconnects from the OPPO out to the ATHEM to by pass the ANTHEM processor . I also connected a coax connect to try to compare if there is indeed an advantage to by pass the ATHEM. At first I did have netflix movies work fine and give me 5.1 sound but for some or an other reason this does not work anymore and I am not sure if there is something wrong with one of the units or if it is caused by a wrong set up. Btw since the ANTHEM does not have HDMI I am only using it for sound. HDMI goes directly from the OPPO to the TV. The coax goes into the DVD in of the ANTHEM , the six RCA's go into the AHTHEM audio in for FL, FR, CNTR, LSR , RSR and Sub and I have set the ANTHEM DVD source set up to DIG RCA DVD and the 6 CH source set up to audio in ANL-DSP. I only get 2 channel sound, really strange. The TV is set up via TOSlink and that does work finen in 5.1 Any suggestions please? Thank you.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Most obvious thing first.............. when you want to watch a blu ray movie, do you push the DVD button on the remote, or the Multi-Channel button? You should use the Multi-Channel button, since you're using the 5.1 analog outputs/inputs. Using those outputs and inputs, you should be getting the HD audio from the blu ray movies, which isn't possible with the coax connection.

etuoce007

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik
I have to admit I have not tried to play blue ray yet, thus-far I have only been streaming from netflix or Vudu. I use the Harmony one remote and just click on DVD and I then click on the "home" button and sellect the streaming service. I will check it out but I have tried so many things during the weekend and find myself running is circles reading the set up over and over again and I am not getting anywhere....

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you're going through the BD/DVD player for your streaming, I'd say you still need to use the Multi-Channel setting instead of the DVD setting, since you're connected by the 5.1 analog connections. Normally, when using the DVD button, it uses the Optical, digital coax, or HDMI for it's audio, unless you specifically programmed the Harmony to use the Multi-Channel setting for audio. One more thing. Since you're setup for 5.1 instead of 7.1, make sure your analog outputs and inputs for your "rear surround" connections are connected to the surround connectors, and not the "surround back left or surround back right" connectors. The surround back left and right connectors are for when you setup for 7.1 surround. If you use those, in a 5.1 setup, instead of the surround connectors, you won't get any sound from your rear speakers. Good luck!

etuoce007

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik
Ed Moxley said:
If you're going through the BD/DVD player for your streaming, I'd say you still need to use the Multi-Channel setting instead of the DVD setting, since you're connected by the 5.1 analog connections. Normally, when using the DVD button, it uses the Optical, digital coax, or HDMI for it's audio, unless you specifically programmed the Harmony to use the Multi-Channel setting for audio. I disconnected the coax today, still only 2 channel. One more thing. Since you're setup for 5.1 instead of 7.1, make sure your analog outputs and inputs for your "rear surround" connections are connected to the surround connectors, and not the "surround back left or surround back right" connectors. The surround back left and right connectors are for when you setup for 7.1 surround. If you use those, in a 5.1 setup, instead of the surround connectors, you won't get any sound from your rear speakers. Good luck!
I did indeed only selected the surrounds for 5.1. , only playing 2 channel, in fact , interestingly the ANTHEM when selecting 6 channel , the inputs are set ANLG-DSP and the display also reads this and also reads 5.1 and when I click the "MODE" button the display reads "6 CH input , NONE. Very odd.:f

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks