What's new

Sony Bravia TV & Sony Home Theater Audio Connections (1 Viewer)

conniebea

Auditioning
Real Name
connie
I have a Sony Bravia and Sony Home Theater System with DVD. When I play a DVD the sound comes out of all 5 speakers. When I play the TV there is no sound from the speakers..just the TV Speaker. Do I need to connect audio cables from TV to home theater system? I was told I don't need audio cables because the HDMI Cable takes care of both the audio and video. The HDMI cable is connected to the home theater system and the hi def cable box. Any suggestions? Thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First, go into the cable box's audio setup menu and make sure it's set to output digital audio through the hdmi connection. It might be set to analog audio output. Then make sure the hdmi input on the Sony dvd system has been assigned to whatever Input button you use on the Sony systems remote control.
If those two things don't help then give us the model numbers of the tv and dvd system (and cable box if you can. That will help us a lot since all these things seem to operate a little differently.

conniebea

Auditioning
Real Name
connie
Hi and thanks for your response. I can get t the set up menu on the cable box but it doesn't even give me an option output digital audio...only stereo option.
My model numbers
cable box hi def - cisco RNG150
DVD home theater system sony DAV HDX500
KDL-46XBR4

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I found this on pg 12 of the cables boxs manual
The HDMI interface automatically confi gures the audio output for a format supported by the television. Because not all
TVs support the Dolby Digital input, the HDMI interface may automatically select a 2-channel stereo audio confi guration
instead of Dolby Digital, which it carries over to the other digital audio outputs of the set-top. This prevents your home
theater system or Dolby Digital decoder from providing the full Dolby Digital surround-sound effect.
You can override this confi guration by completing the following steps.
1. Press SETTINGS twice on the remote control to open the General Settings menu.
2. Press MOVE UP or MOVE DOWN to select the option Audio: Digital Out.
3. Press MOVE RIGHT to select Dolby Digital. This setting will send Dolby Digital audio to the HDMI, DIGITAL AUDIO
OUT, and OPTICAL AUDIO OUT connectors on the set-top.
Notes:
• If the TV is not Dolby Digital capable, it may not produce audio through its speakers when the Audio: Digital Out
setting on the set-top is set to Dolby Digital. You can either switch the Audio: Digital Out setting back to HDMI
when you are not using the home theater or Dolby Digital decoder, or you can connect the baseband audio outputs
(OUT 1 Audio Left and Right) to the TV.
• Digital content is encrypted with High-Bandwidth Content Protection (HDCP) on the DVI/HDMI port. This set-top
is not compatible with devices that do not support HDCP. You must use either the YPbPr or 1394 connection to
connect the set-top to these devices.
See if you can perform steps 1,2 and 3. That may solve the problem. The cable box might be set to output stereo analog which isn't transfered via hdmi.
If this doesn't work maybe we can think of something else.

conniebea

Auditioning
Real Name
connie
I'm back to square one again - my speakers on home theater stopped working - I did what you said however there is not an option for changing the set top box audio to dolby digital just stereo so now what do I do. Should I attempt to hook up "rca" cables for audio output or is there another HD box that comcast can give me? thanks.

Khaled Reza

Auditioning
Hi,
I am in great trouble!!! I cannot connect my Sony Home theater to my Sony Bravia 46HX750. Home theater is DAV-TZ710. I want to use the home theater with the normal channels. I cannot hear any sound! Please tell me in easy way to setup my devices for the sound?

Thanks in advance....

iZ wonderboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
Hello

I have a Sony Bravia Tv, Model no: KDL - 42W805A
and also have a home theatre : DAV - DZ660

I only just bought the home theatre, and I have problems connection it to the TV, channel wise.
I use a HDMI cable to connect the two devices but there seem to come no sound out of the speakers once I change to the tv channels. And yes, I can hear it if I just change it over to the HDMI input.

If anyone could help me, that would be appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks